Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Brady is worse than Trump with his delusions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nonsense, we showed we could hold them to zero in their own stadium and while an away goal would have been nice, we got one for ourselves 5 minutes in today to have the lead in the tie.

Then they dropped five on us in about 60 minutes.

So are you telling me you preferred a no score draw to a win? An away goal out there would of been worth two tonight or do you not grasp that concept???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

martyos121 wrote: »
    It’s like Donoghue goes out of his bloody way to track down the most devestated person on the pitch and shove a microphone in his face.

"why were we so sh1te"?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Denmark just looked a total different level in terms of technical ability, Erickson aside Sisto looked a fine player and a few more as well. Shame we aren't going to Russia but really if he did we'd likely get embarrassed like Euro 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Right us, Italy, The Netherlands, Chile, Scotland, Wales, Nor Iron and The USA need to start our own World Cup.

Probably wouldn't qualify for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

nullzero wrote: »
    Train the side to defend properly, hell why not go nuts and go the whole hog and set the side up to play football, that's what the manager is meant to do.

What was that Dunphy was saying about MON breezing in and out of training sessions? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Crazy result, given all our underage success! An no wait...

The very first thing that needs to be done is Noel King being sent to the dole office. No chance of it happening though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

NI came closer against a better swiss team because they tried different things etc. We tried sitting nack got a lucky goal amd our tactics of not playing football have well and truly been rumbled. MON will need a different party piece going forward.

I hope he's not as ignorant and as hostile toward Tony ODonoghue tonight.

I doubt he’ll show his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm just glad we are boycotting the corruption in FIFA by refusing the play in the world cup. Fair play lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Dunphy is nearly in tears

Where did he get this ****e about MO'N not being on the training ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That early goal was the worst thing that happened to us. We were defending like a side holding a lead in stoppage time fifteen minute into the match.

But we defended badly. Two awful goals given away. It was mistakes as much as mentality that did us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What was that Dunphy was saying about MON breezing in and out of training sessions? Really?

O'Neill has rarely, if ever, been on the Training pitch for many of his club jobs.

He leaves the coaching to coaches and sits in his office a lot (at club level anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Denmark just looked a total different level in terms of technical ability, Erickson aside Sisto looked a fine player and a few more as well. Shame we aren't going to Russia but really if he did we'd likely get embarrassed like Euro 2012

Our players looked exhausted, poorly organized and devoid of ideas. We flattered Denmark and Denmark should have the humility to admit that, they can only beat the team in front of them but ultimately we beat ourselves.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    5-1 at home
    Embarrassing

For a manager who apparently tactically sets his team up to defend

Were you not one of the cheerleaders for playing more attacking football, which they tried (ineptly) to do tonight? Make up your mind.

But we defended badly. Two awful goals given away. It was mistakes as much as mentality that did us

We don't have great defenders. It's a lot harder to defend when you're doing it as a back four rather than a back 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Laois_Man wrote:
    Where did he get this ****e about MO'N not being on the training ground?

He's on a tangent, facts are fanciful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Even if MON leaves, the way Irish football is structured and governed is just piss-poor. That won't be talked about on RTE and it will not change.

Relying on a 35 year old in the second tier of English football to be our creative spark sums it all up. It would be nice if this humiliation resulted in some tough soul-searching and eventual changes but I doubt it.

I always get sh*t for it but I'll say it again. We need to be utterly humiliated in qualifying and finish near the bottom of a group before anyone will care.

Unfortunately UEFA have changed qualifying for the Euros now to make it easier to qualify. The FAI and most fans will be happy with an appearance at a euro championships every other campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Even if MON leaves, the way Irish football is structured and governed is just piss-poor. That won't be talked about on RTE and it will not change.

Relying on a 35 year old in the second tier of English football to be our creative spark sums it all up. It would be nice if this humiliation resulted in some tough soul-searching and eventual changes but I doubt it.

The FAI do not care about the game in Ireland. Just farming kids over to England and then trying to clobber together a team from what's left over a few years later.

It's high time that there was an all Ireland league each with clubs who have fully funded academy systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭ollaetta

murpho999 wrote: »
    I hear many people (not on this forum) rate him highly as a couch and I just don't get it.

Based on his results sofa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Patww79 wrote: »

I've read it on other club forums as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's been plenty of talk of that in the build up to both games among a few stories so he's not just making it up tonight.

Shay Given flat out said that O Neill did nothing in training. Said nothing nor communicated any plan or vision.

Apparently O Neill does motivational team talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Will this damage our chance of being awarded the Rugby World cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Brady twice now tonight bemoaning the fact Wes didn’t start!!

It’s a shame he didn’t do that in the 2 years he was Trappatoni’s assistant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Dunphy a little tired and emotional there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It means much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TO MCCLEAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too much perhaps? He was hopeless there tonight. Out of position on countless occasions and I only watched about 25 mins of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Dunphy a little tired and emotional.

Who had Michael o neill in the dunphy bingo? Ruby Walsh and Brian cody surely on the way.

ollaetta wrote: »
    Based on his results sofa?

Fantastic!

Plus he did nothing when he came on.

He’s a 35-year-old Championship midfielder who can’t play more than an hour a week. If he’s the answer, we’re really in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Michael O' Neill has done a good job for Northern Ireland .

I would have more hope of him building a team for the future .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Who had Michael o neill in the dunphy bingo? Ruby Walsh and Brian cody surely on the way.

Rugby team winning friendlies too

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That was an impressive thud off the crossbar for the first Ericsson goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

We defended very poorly. While we have defended well in the past, there was far too many individual errors today. Ward and Clark have always had that in their game tbh, our midfield was completely over-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Give Stephen Kenny a go

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

blinding wrote: »

Hands off. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

alta stare wrote: »
    So are you telling me you preferred a no score draw to a win? An away goal out there would of been worth two tonight or do you not grasp that concept???
    Where did I say that exactly? Or are you just making up arguments that suit you?

I said we were playing at home, just over half way through the tie, with a 1-0 lead. Being unable to hold a 1-0 lead has no connection with failing to score previously. However we saw tonight what would likely have happened if we did go to really go to play for a goal in Denmark all through the first leg.

We were 1-0 up with 115 of the 180 minutes gone, you do know this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He's like a tyre with a slow puncture that you can still hear when it's in the boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** that ****

We were beaten (slaughtered) by A better team with a world class player in Erikson

Some players have to go and we bring in new ones and build towards the euro 2020 qualifers. The nations league may come too soon for us too impress

Is MON and Roy Keanes time done too ???

What's the alternative to McGeady? Nobody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nobody coming on would have been better than mcgready lol

DeanAustin wrote: »
    And I don’t disagree with that but it’d take 10-15 years to bring results. Our fans won’t stick with something for that long without the same whinging and moaning. We’d also have to change our mentality on the game and there is no real will to do that.

Unfortunately it would take that time indeed. It wouldn't be easy to watch in the meantime, but there's been nothing easy about the last 10-15 years overall, and it's not going to be easy carrying on the way it has been. Sure we got to two Euros, but 'shít sticks to a wall if you fling enough at it' - 'A broken clock is still right twice a day', choose your analogy for how we graft and grind our way into the odd major tournament.

Our fans have stuck through some awful shíte as it is. 10-15 years goes by quicker than it seems. We could spend that time carrying on as usual, hoping we hit a Euros or two, but for the most part watching some truly turgid, one-dimensional, ineffective football. The buck will stop with the current manager and "Sure we just don't have the players". Or we could try to really change something.

Iceland has a total population of about 330,000 and there can't be that many to add to that figure in ex-pats. Iceland shouldn't have the players either, but they did something effective at grassroots level to change that. Who is their manager? It doesn't matter.

We're not talking about planting seeds which none of us will see grow into big trees in our lifetimes: In 10-15 years many of us in here will still be relatively young, if fate spares us of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Plus he did nothing when he came on.

He’s a 35-year-old Championship midfielder who can’t play more than an hour a week. If he’s the answer, we’re really in trouble.

He did. Great ball for Long.

Some great touches to keep the ball. If people can’t see how good Wes is on the ball, it illustrates why we’ll never reform the game here in the way people talk about.

What's the alternative to McGeady? Nobody

Father Sensini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Would love to see Kenny be given a real chance (2/3 campaigns) but I assume MON will get a new contract because John Delaney.

If they do however move on from MON hopefully Dundalk don't have a release clause and get every penny they can for releasing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

blinding wrote: »

He'll stay at NI or he'll move into a club role. No chance of him moving to the RoI. NI and RoI are on the same level.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does Dunphy always have such a hard on for Wes Hoolahan?

awec wrote: »
    Does Dunphy always have such a hard on for Wes Hoolahan?

That’s Lionel Wessi to you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement