Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

Comments

Brady is phoning it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

awec wrote: »
    Does Dunphy always have such a hard on for Wes Hoolahan?
    Is water wet?
    Is the Pope a catholic?
    Do bears defecate in the woods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Thank **** Didi is on the panel to be the voice of reason. Absolutely bang on in his analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Does Dunphy always have such a hard on for Wes Hoolahan?

No, I think this is the first time he's mentioned him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe Roy will speak in Martins stead tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Unfortunately it would take that time indeed. It wouldn't be easy to watch in the meantime, but there's been nothing easy about the last 10-15 years overall, and it's not going to be easy carrying on the way it has been. Sure we got to two Euros, but 'shít sticks to a wall if you fling enough at it' - 'A broken clock is still right twice a day', choose your analogy for how we graft and grind our way into the odd major tournament.

Our fans have stuck through some awful shíte as it is. 10-15 years goes by quicker than it seems. We could spend that time carrying on as usual, hoping we hit a Euros or two, but for the most part watching some truly turgid, one-dimensional, ineffective football. The buck will stop with the current manager and "Sure we just don't have the players". Or we could try to really change something.

Iceland has a total population of about 330,000 and there can't be that many to add to that figure in ex-pats. Iceland shouldn't have the players either, but they did something effective at grassroots level to change that. Who is their manager? It doesn't matter.

We're not talking about planting seeds which none of us will see grow into big trees in our lifetimes: In 10-15 years many of us in here will still be relatively young, if fate spares us of course.

I agree but I’m not sure we have the patience in this country. If it didn’t yield instant results people would be talking about what a waste it is.

Look at the clueless posts about Wes tonight. How he plays the game is how our kids should be taught to play. Yet youve clowns on this thread having a go because he didn’t turn the game in 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Berserker wrote: »
    He'll stay at NI or he'll move into a club role. No chance of him moving to the RoI. NI and RoI are on the same level.

No we have better players

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Hands off. :)

Heard Scotland offered a double your money deal to him and Rangers in the hunt aswell
    Good luck keeping him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

What's the alternative to McGeady? Nobody

O'dowda might have been an option. McGeady has usually been the default option off the bench and has just not worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

NI don't fall apart like we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Will there definitely be a MON interview because I would really prefer not to listen to Dunphy any longer if there isn't

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

irishman86 wrote: »
    Heard Scotland offered a double your money deal to him and Rangers in the hunt aswell
    Good luck keeping him

Ah we won't keep him, I'd be amazed if he wasn't getting money thrown at him by clubs.

NI don't fall apart like we do

Management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Plus he did nothing when he came on.

He’s a 35-year-old Championship midfielder who can’t play more than an hour a week. If he’s the answer, we’re really in trouble.

RTE punditry: listening to OAPs shouting about things they don't believe in but know will generate some controversy and keep them in their jobs.

With occasional guest appearance from The Eyebrows, The (Ex-)Moustache, The Baldy and The German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ireland pop 4.5 million
    iceland pop 380k

something really wrong with our coaching when you see that iceland can put together a decent team and we cant.

I think we need to go back an rethinking our coaching.

I blame the FAI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Much of a muchness. Steven Davis, Evans and Chris Brunt would have made a big difference to you there tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Has Martin been interviewed yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

O'dowda might have been an option. McGeady has usually been the default option off the bench and has just not worked.

Agree. My heart sank when he was coming on. Obviously him and MON have a bromance.

Only positive from tonight is it could very well be the last time we see mcgeady in an Irish shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Spare a thought for Brendan

Bren.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Has Martin been interviewed yet?

He's probably hiding under a pile of coats.

Much of a muchness. Steven Davis, Evans and Chris Brunt would have made a big difference to you there tonight.

So they have 3 players that would get in our team? Out of 11.

I was laughing at Brady's comment. I actually agree with you. I sat through six months of Mcgeady at SWFC too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I suppose the first thing to say is that we probably didn't deserve to get to the playoffs, let alone the World Cup. There are better teams than us that didn't get that far. How did we get there? We tend to fill the missing gaps with heart, determination and gaps. While we have been relatively competitive over the last few campaigns, we have also been seriously embarrassed when it comes to crunch time.

The whole Wes debate is a very valid one. He is probably one of the most technically gifted Irish players of a generation but relatively ignored by the last two Irish managers. Does Portugal drop Ronaldo so they can play long ball? No, they build the team and tactics around him. Who is the next gifted Irish footballer when Wes is gone?

The midfield is still a huge issue for me. Too many similar holding players creates the imbalance for me. Too many times four of our players were challenging two of theirs and they just pass around us. This happened us a lot over the competition.

Sad finish to mixed results campaign.

To finish; James McClean is one of my favourite players to wear an Irish jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very dumb move to give Mon a new contract . Poor manager who relies on luck and a good defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

lawred2 wrote: »
    Shay Given flat out said that O Neill did nothing in training. Said nothing nor communicated any plan or vision.

Apparently O Neill does motivational team talks.

If I'm right he's been that way since Leicester or certainly Villa, a few managers apparently do - think I recall hearing Ferguson did so near the end too. A weird one internationally but makes more sense at club level where the players are there 5+ days week in, week out as routine in my opinion.

Hanging out McClean

MON blaming the players. **** off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Patww79 wrote: »
    I think I ‘d be going to Amerikay given a choice of those two .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

MON blaming the players. **** off.

Shur, the players never do anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

This result is going to damage football in Ireland big time, football is already competing with the GAA and rugby!

Lots of kids play multiple sports but they are being forced to pick now with football season being changed to run during the summer....playing both gaa and soccer leads to faster fitter better kids
    should be no need to chose until they are older when its clear which sport they are better at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

So they have 3 players that would get in our team? Out of 11.

Oh, that was just a small suggestion. Would Lafferty be much worse up front than what you have at the moment? Ditto for Gareth McAuley in defence. I think the two squads are on a par.

Death stare

Tony is rattling his cage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

**** this ****.

He says 'we had to try something'

It took him years to try anything and it was still the worst decision possible

Resign with a semblance of competence ffs

Oh, that was just a small suggestion. Would Lafferty be much worse up front than what you have at the moment? Ditto for Gareth McAuley in defence. I think the two squads are on a par.

Ha Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tony so nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

irishgeo wrote: »
    ireland pop 4.5 million
    iceland pop 380k

something really wrong with our coaching when you see that iceland can put together a decent team and we cant.

I think we need to go back an rethinking our coaching.

I blame the FAI

Iceland has almost 1,000 licensed coaches in a country where the biggest team is semi-pro.

I believe we only have around 700 licensed coaches in Ireland.

I feel sorry for MON actually.

• Advertisement

Here we go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Martin looks he is about to trottle Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I feel sorry for the players. They played their best over this whole campaign and to be totally destroyed in the most crucial game.

Our defense was atrociousness as well but they gave it their best.

I'm no MON fan but Tony is being a gimp here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

O'Neill bristling there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Oh shut up MON.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Things a bit cold between MON and Tony.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MON seems pretty passive aggressive in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

I suppose the first thing to say is that we probably didn't deserve to get to the playoffs, let alone the World Cup. There are better teams than us that didn't get that far. How did we get there? We tend to fill the missing gaps with heart, determination and gaps. While we have been relatively competitive over the last few campaigns, we have also been seriously embarrassed when it comes to crunch time.

The whole Wes debate is a very valid one. He is probably one of the most technically gifted Irish players of a generation but relatively ignored by the last two Irish managers. Does Portugal drop Ronaldo so they can play long ball? No, they build the team and tactics around him. Who is the next gifted Irish footballer when Wes is gone?

The midfield is still a huge issue for me. Too many similar holding players creates the imbalance for me. Too many times four of our players were challenging two of theirs and they just pass around us. This happened us a lot over the competition.

Sad finish to mixed results campaign.

To finish; James McClean is one of my favourite players to wear an Irish jersey.

I don't know what you're talking about, we were top of our group a year ago, we definitely deserved the playoff spot

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement