Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

Comments

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I agree but I’m not sure we have the patience in this country. If it didn’t yield instant results people would be talking about what a waste it is.

Look at the clueless posts about Wes tonight. How he plays the game is how our kids should be taught to play. Yet youve clowns on this thread having a go because he didn’t turn the game in 45 minutes.

Whether they have the patience or not, things are about to get very bad anyway IMO with an aging squad to choose from. We could be planting seeds for the near future in the meantime.

I just heard Kilbane and co. on Off The Ball list off a group of players who because of age, have likely played their last game for Ireland. Wes is there, and quite a few others.

Then the guys listed off the remaining players, the likes of McClean, and they are also at ages which suggest they are likely entering the latter stages of their international careers. At 28, another 4 years for McClean maybe, 2 qualifying campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Didi dropping plenty of wisdom about Ireland's shortcomings and the other two don't want to hear it.

He is right. We don't have enough quality and that has to be the fault of the coaching philosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Has Dunphy started banging on about street football yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The panel are right about one thing, losing Coleman was a major blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Tonight was just a shambles. At least as a Mayo man I'm well used to disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

I can enjoy World Cup now without incessant rubbish on social media about the best fans in the world helping clergy navigate their way around red square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

To play an open style means we would never have been in this play off.
    O Neil is not refusing to play Messi and Ronaldo, we don't have those players.
    Wes is 35, Long should be playing every game though.
    He is best we have.

mzungu wrote: »

That's true but really if a full-back is your most important player, he's either Roberto Carlos or you're not a great side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

mzungu wrote: »

Our right back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Lackey wrote: »
    Lots of kids play multiple sports but they are being forced to pick now with football season being changed to run during the summer....playing both gaa and soccer leads to faster fitter better kids
    should be no need to chose until they are older when its clear which sport they are better at.

Thats the problem, fast fit lads get picked over technical lads
    Best thing that could happen is the move. Get them away from GAA as soon as possible

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fairly stereotypical Irish post-game fan interviews there. :pac:

Ah look shur tis grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jesus christ these fans are idiots.

"They do us proud everytime they go out..We can't complain."

Feck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

brilou23 wrote: »
    No finally MON luck ran out. Your idol has been found out

Who is my idol? My idol isn't even associated with football so this will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Talking about players coming through.

It's clear the league of Ireland is important and needs to be given some more respect and funding from FAI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

awec wrote: »

Ah look shur tis grand!

"We can't complain". :D You just paid €x to watch that. I think you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    We should have done shots for every mention of wes tonight.

Don't you mean Carlsberg :confused:

JauntyFairBorzoi-max-1mb.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ah look shur tis grand!

That's Ireland all over though in all walks of life isn't it.

Maybe we need to start setting and demanding higher standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ah look shur tis grand!

We need more Arsenal Fan Tv type rants!

"Martin O'Neill. Fack off. And take Keane and Delaney wiv you as well. 'Cos Oi've ad enaff ov tha lot ov ya!"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Did they get Gilesy to pick the montage music?

When will that Paddy Power nonsense just piss off.

Berserker wrote: »
    Between McClean not being able to string a sentence together, the result and that interview, this has been a really poor night for you guys.

They can always say they led the tie at some stage, can your lads. Didnt think so, so ya maybe try your nonsense elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What a coward. Bullying O’Donoghue to “let me finish, let me finish” then running off before O’D could finish the interview. Pathetic.

Ah stop. He was hugely disappointed and had TOD falling over his words coz he was bricking it. He was trying to defend himself so I can understand where he was coming from.

On TOD, he would be damned if he didn’t ask the questions (“too scared to ask the hard questions) and damned if he did (“what a prick trying to get a rise”).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didi dropping plenty of wisdom about Ireland's shortcomings and the other two don't want to hear it.

He is right. We don't have enough quality and that has to be the fault of the coaching philosophy.

It's worth reading about what the German FA did immediately after England spanked them 5 v 1 away many moons ago

They put a plan in place to increase the number of coaches at all levels, improve their training etc, knowing that they would have a few lean years. And in the end it worked.

We need to look at how our kids are taught to play the game. That lumping the ball forward and playing the percentage game doesn't work any more.

Will we do it? Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    We should have done shots for every mention of wes tonight.

I did, just posting this from A&E in the Mater now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

What a coward. Bullying O’Donoghue to “let me finish, let me finish” then running off before O’D could finish the interview. Pathetic.
    Did you enjoy your 'thanks' there Celtic fanboy. Some Celtic fan you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

To play an open style means we would never have been in this play off.
    He is best we have.
    We played 180 minutes against the Danes and didn't create a chance really, maybe Long's late miss when the game was up. A defensive mistake led to our goal. We tried to park the bus for 180 minutes like it was 1989. The game has moved on. We got a gift of a goal and reversed the bus again and hoofed the ball away at every chance. Give a middling team the ball for 3 hours in effectively a game of backs and forwards, and they are going to score several times. The seeds were sown on Saturday with an inept, negative performance.
    Great move offering the new contract, I can see a whole heap of premier league chairmen ringing him this week with job offers.

We need more Arsenal Fan Tv type rants!

"Martin O'Neill. Fack off. And take Keane and Delaney wiv you as well. 'Cos Oi've ad enaff ov tha lot ov ya!"

Yannastand fam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

From After Hours...Jaysis
    valoren wrote: »
    These are Tournaments we realistically have no chance of actually winning, let alone qualify for but the fans make it enjoyable and all the better when we make it. For the security and host country fans we're loved hence the moniker. Would have been great to qualify but we're not good enough.

Russia is going to be a miserable, yawn fest of a World Cup without us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

irishman86 wrote: »
    They can always say they led the tie at some stage, can your lads. Didnt think so, so ya maybe try your nonsense elsewhere

My lads? I'm an England fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The main person who should get blame tonight is John Delaney, People can certainly blame MON for some of his questionable decisions however the main reason we lost is lack of quality players, the reason for that is down to the poor structures that exists in this country at youth level, we simply do not produce technical enough players to really compete. Even in games we win we never dominate always down to heart good defense ect. Delaney has been at the helm of the FAI for 15+ years and in that time the quality of players we produce has declined significantly. Whatever about MON going Delaney should have gone a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's worth reading about what the German FA did immediately after England spanked them 5 v 1 away many moons ago

They put a plan in place to increase the number of coaches at all levels, improve their training etc, knowing that they would have a few lean years. And in the end it worked.

We need to look at how our kids are taught to play the game. That lumping the ball forward and playing the percentage game doesn't work any more.

Here's the Giles documentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Is this Germany who got hockeyed 5-1 by England and got to the World Cup final the very next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

To the people critical of Tony, what exactly are you looking for from an interview?
    Coddle the guy, go out and console him with a hug and a warm blanket maybe?

He asked the relevant questions as far as i can tell.

MON was always gonna get his jimmies rustled at even the slightest hint of criticism because in pretty much every interview up to now he's acted like an indignant little twerp whenever criticised.

TheCitizen wrote: »

You're unreal... Thinking people can't call a spade a spade because they support Celtic and MON won them a few leagues years ago.

Not all of them have to have their head up his arse like you always do.

• To play an open style means we would never have been in this play off.
    He is best we have.

I keep reading this ****e on boards but absolutely nobody had ever been suggesting it.

We haven't even been asking for an open style.

A basic fundamental style of trying to play some constructive football depending on the situation and who you are playing.

Not just to continually hoof it aimlessly to the opposition regardless of the opponent.

And even agreeing that a long ball option can be played but in a manner that makes sense and has some actual directive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

That's Ireland all over though in all walks of life isn't it.

Maybe we need to start setting and demanding higher standards.

They obviously cherry picked the few fans who said something positive. They are hardly going to air the lad who says that we were utter g@&h.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Lackey wrote: »
    Lots of kids play multiple sports but they are being forced to pick now with football season being changed to run during the summer....playing both gaa and soccer leads to faster fitter better kids
    should be no need to chose until they are older when its clear which sport they are better at.

Fitter players me arse. What we need is technically gifted creative players. We lack that killer instinct. Look at Eriksen for the second and third goals I don't any Irish player would be able to hammer them home in the same manner he did and 1.Get the shot on target and 2. Beat the keeper.

If you put Long, McClean or Murphy in the exact same position for those two goals as Eriksen 8 times out of 10 they would put it over and on the 9th hit it at the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Remember a program on BBC about football in Iceland.

They coach the kids in all technical aspects of the game.

They solely concentrate on this until the kids become teenagers.

Only then do they have them playing competitive matches.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Can anyone work out what Ireland's formation in the second half was? Seemed so aimless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Ah stop. He was hugely disappointed and had TOD falling over his words coz he was bricking it. He was trying to defend himself so I can understand where he was coming from.

On TOD, he would be damned if he didn’t ask the questions (“too scared to ask the hard questions) and damned if he did (“what a prick trying to get a rise”).

I get it that journalists have a job to do - but TOD pushed it too far tonight.

Telling the manager his team were a shambles, on live TV - just 10 minutes after their World cup dream has ended is a bit much.

Yes tonight was bad - but there have been some really excellent nights in recent years too. The wins against Germany and Italy were super.
    And beating Bosnia in the playoff two years ago to qualify.
    We would have killed for those results during the Trap or Staunton eras.

Lets show the manager a little bit of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To the people critical of Tony, what exactly are you looking for from an interview?
    Coddle the guy, go out and console him with a hug and a warm blanket maybe?

He asked the relevant questions as far as i can tell.

MON was always gonna get his jimmies rustled at even the slightest hint of criticism because in pretty much every interview up to now he's acted like an indignant little twerp whenever criticised.

I've just watched it (my stream died earlier) and have to agree with this.

O'Neill just can't take (legitimate) criticism and throws a tantrum with added condescension for good measure! If it was a one-off then OK you'd understand it tonight, but he does it regularly.

Very poor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It’s TODs job to ask MON the questions that the supporters are thinking. The supporters who contribute to MONs wage by going to games etc. If answering them questions are too much trouble for O’Neill then he should retire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Also need a league that is fit for purpose. Current club system needs to be abolished and started from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Can anyone work out what Ireland's formation in the second half was? Seemed so aimless.

Let Eriksen play on his own in the fifty yards between the Irish penalty area and the Danish half seemed to be the gameplan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

TheCitizen wrote: »

????

So it seems this is everyones fault but MON
    I love this recurring theme
    Its time for a new face at the helm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement