Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Zeek12 wrote: »
    I get it that journalists have a job to do - but TOD pushed it too far tonight.

Telling the manager his team were a shambles - just 10 minutes after their World cup dream has ended is a bit much.

Yes tonight was bad - but there have been some really excellent moments in recent years too. The wins against Germany and Italy were super.
    And beating Bosnia in the playoff two years ago to qualify.
    We would have killed for those results during the Trap or Staunton eras.

Lets show the manager some respect.

I’d agree to an extent but TOD got a little bit of stick for his interview on Saturday. I’m sure he was thinking “I can’t bottle it again”. You could tell he was extremely nervous because the question he asked ONeill about the campaign was all over the place.

It was uncomfortable but I don’t really blame either of them. These things happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lackey wrote: »
    Lots of kids play multiple sports but they are being forced to pick now with football season being changed to run during the summer....playing both gaa and soccer leads to faster fitter better kids
    should be no need to chose until they are older when its clear which sport they are better at.

Faster and fitter is not the problem though, and it's the last area we need to focus on - the problems are far more down to things like technique and awareness which are brought on by training (and a lot of it!) from a very young age. They need to stop all this 11 vs 11 youth b*llocks for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Can anyone work out what Ireland's formation in the second half was? Seemed so aimless.

Aimless is the word. We needed some control on the game. McGeady is a headless chicken.

The smart play was to bring on Long & Wes for a Murphy and one of Hendrick/Meyler/Arter.

McGeady would have been logical at 2-2.

Also need a league that is fit for purpose. Current club system needs to be abolished and started from scratch.

Yeah try that. Tell Pats, Bohs and Rovers fans that their clubs are gone and they have to support Dublin United.

I find a lot of people putting this argument forward don’t go to Irish league games and neve will until it’s Premiership quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Billy86 wrote: »
    Faster and fitter is not the problem though, and it's the last area we need to focus on - the problems are far more down to things like technique and awareness which are brought on by training (and a lot of it!) from a very young age. They need to stop all this 11 vs 11 youth b*llocks for a start.

+1

From this article

http://www.thecoachdiary.com/irish-kids-disappoint-the-worlds-best-academy-coaches/
    This year 3 FCBarcelona coaches, 1 Sporting Club de Portugal Coach, 1 Sporting Braga Coach and Horst Wein to name a few all had the opportunity to watch Irish kids of various ages and abilities and they all expressed the same concerns, Irish kids are not intelligent (Game intelligence) and technically very poor.. “They weren’t able to take instructions in and could not understand the basis of a very simple phase of play”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thanks for that Martin One Neill.

can somebody tell JD to kindly **** off too

ah well we got spanked by average side. Irish Football got a smack in balls tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Yeah try that. Tell Pats, Bohs and Rovers fans that their clubs are gone and they have to support Dublin United.

I find a lot of people putting this argument forward don’t go to Irish league games and neve will until it’s Premiership quality.

You dont need to get rid of the clubs to abolish the system
    The irish league system is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Didi dropping plenty of wisdom about Ireland's shortcomings and the other two don't want to hear it.

He is right. We don't have enough quality and that has to be the fault of the coaching philosophy.

I think somewhere in the middle of both sides is the correct stance.

No one is expecting us to become a technical side any time soon but the hoofball we play is way outdated & relies on luck.

Northern Ireland play better football with a similar level squad.

Arter with Bournemouth different player as was McCarthy as Everton a few seasons ago. Much of it comes down the confidence the manager gives these players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Also need a league that is fit for purpose. Current club system needs to be abolished and started from scratch.

I always wonder what the ‘start from scratch’ argument actually involves. Like what are you gaining from starting it from scratch that you couldn’t do with the current setup?

What exactly is starting from scratch anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is there any one on here that would question MON's position?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Nah, just need the Dubs to support their clubs.

LOI clubs need to stop selling their best players for peanuts to clubs in the UK and start demanding mid six figure sums for them.

This will allow them to invest in their youth academies, training facilities and coaching staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Fitter players me arse. What we need is technically gifted creative players. We lack that killer instinct. Look at Eriksen for the second and third goals I don't any Irish player would be able to hammer them home in the same manner he did and 1.Get the shot on target and 2. Beat the keeper.

If you put Long, McClean or Murphy in the exact same position for those two goals as Eriksen 8 times out of 10 they would put it over and on the 9th hit it at the keeper.

Could you imagine these Irish lads even creating a shooting opportunity when presented with the three on two Denmark were presented with for that second goal?

Thanks for that Martin One Neill.

can somebody tell JD to kindly **** off too

ah well we got spanked by average side. Irish Football got a smack in balls tonight.
    Dear oh dear

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Is there any one on here that would question MON's position?

If it were up to me, both he and Keane would be gone tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Chivito550 wrote: »
    They obviously cherry picked the few fans who said something positive. They are hardly going to air the lad who says that we were utter g@&h.

That's because those gobsh1tes left 15 mins before the end of the game ;)

LOI clubs need to stop selling their best players for peanuts to clubs in the UK and start demanding mid six figure sums for them.

This will allow them to invest in their youth academies, training facilities and coaching staff.

And how should they do that?

Patww79 wrote: »

The youth set up. How kids are trained at underage level, big strong fit lads shouldnt be given preference at underage etc etc etc. This would all massively benefit the clubs in Ireland

• Advertisement

irishman86 wrote: »

:pac:

And how should they do that?

By not selling the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here's a mad idea; people could do what fans the world over do and support a team every week. I know every week is a foreign concept to most people but it's managed the world over. These people are the real Best Fans in the World, not the knobs acting the jester for Joe.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

FAI need to become fit for purpose.

League of Ireland clubs are trying there best to develop players with no help from the FAI.

Shamrock Rovers doing some great work have youngsters training 3-5 times a week before school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

How can you demand big money for a player when clubs can barely offer a year deal. It's also impossible to stand in the way of player going to England just because you want a big sum.

This would only be possible with full time contracts. This is the problem since the fai pay themselfs more than the champions of Ireland get for winning the league

• Advertisement

Here's the real joke. Airtricity League winners get 100k. John Delaney gets 4 times that doesn't he?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here's a mad idea; people could do what fans the world over do and support a team every week. I know every week is a foreign concept to most people but it's managed the world over. These people are the real Best Fans in the World, not the knobs acting the jester for Joe.ie

I also don't buy the well worn canard that Stadia are a reason people won't go to LOI games either.

Have you seen the state of some of the County GAA Stadiums?

They look like throwbacks to 1970's/1980's First and Second Division stadia in the UK.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    :pac:

A useless comment with nothing to add, it must be TheCitizen
    You enjoying the dinosaur being found out buddy, crying into your milk eh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just watched the interview with O'Neill - and I'm by no means his biggest fan so i don't say this lightly - Tony O'Donoghue was completely out of line and needs to be re-assigned to some task that doesn't involve interviewing by RTÉ. Shambolic journalism, worse than Kay Burley.

McClean interview shoudln't have happened at all.

Edit: qualified/toned down comments

By not selling the players.

So you tell the next Kevin Doyle “Hey Kevin, Brighton are in for you but they’re only offering us 75k. We’re holding out for 750k so you’re not going. You’ll still extend that contract you signed to the end of this season though right? We’ll pay you a grand a week. That’s exactly 5% of what you’d get if we let you go now.”

Be serious for a minute will you.

Look at how the IRFU and GAA work. They invest their money back into the game. What happened to the 10 million we got for the last Euros? All I remember was clubs getting 5k to help them plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can I remind everyone to stay civil with the comments please.

Play the ball not the man, don't make it personal.

Thanks for the reported posts, we're watching. :)

This would only be possible with full time contracts. This is the problem since the fai pay themselfs more than the champions of Ireland get for winning the league

Offer the top players Full-Time contracts then. Not all players in a squad, but the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

We need to restructure everything, stop getting kids playing 11 a side on big pitches, get them playing 5 a side futbol sala or indoor soccer, get in the right coaches, celebrate a bit of skill rather than a bone crunching tackle(we here in this part of the world **** over this, i love how in spain they love it when someone does something really clever),invest in the irish league and try and get the players to stay until they are in their early twenties so they wont be swallowed up by the english academy system. Also put in irish managers that will try to play good football even though it might take 10-15 years for it to give fruit, it sends out a good message to younger players coming up. Anyways thats it for now.

So you tell the next Kevin Doyle “Hey Kevin, Brighton are in for you but they’re only offering us 75k. We’re holding out for 750k so you’re not going. You’ll still extend that contract you signed to the end of this season though right? We’ll pay you a grand a week. That’s exactly 5% of what you’d get if we let you go now.”

Be serious for a minute will you.

Hold out for 300k-350k and offer the lad 10% of the fee as a severance/goodwill payment.

There are ways around it.

Offer the top players Full-Time contracts then. No all players in a squad, but the better ones.
    How? The clubs barely make ends meet. 100K is all the winners get for winning the league and you have to pay in around 20k to the FAI to enter the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here's the real joke. Airtricity League winners get 100k. John Delaney gets 4 times that doesn't he?

Delaney gets that per year for himself, be shocked if every ALW gets 100k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

We're not Yanks. Franchise football wouldn't catch on. The EPL/Celtic fans have no interest and you'll just piss of the current LOI fans by destroying their teams.

Saw a nice stat earlier: 9 out of our 13 goalscorers in this campaign came throught the LOI. But no, let's tear it down, it's obviously doing nothing for us.

I'm extremely disappointed tonight but not all that surprised. I missed the first fifteen minutes so by the time I got to the pub we were one nil up and I knew what was coming but didn't expect it to be bad.

I'm not going to come on here and say we ought to play expansive, free-flowing football or any of that but MON needs a new gameplan because it only works when we score late on. Get a goal early and, as McClean said, we **** ourselves. No surprise whatsoever that Denmark were able to beat us, though I am surprised we got trounced so badly.

We need to restructure everything, stop getting kids playing 11 a side on big pitches, get them playing 5 a side futbol sala or indoor soccer, get in the right coaches, celebrate a bit of skill rather than a bone crunching tackle(we here in this part of the world **** over this, i love how in spain they love it when someone does something really clever),invest in the irish league and try and get the players to stay until they are in their early twenties so they wont be swallowed up by the english academy system. Also put in  irish managers that will try to play good football even though it might take 10-15 years for it to give fruit, it sends out a good message to younger players coming up. Anyways thats it for now.
    To get the coaching badges is a fortune. The FAI aren't helping to subsidize this and it's stopping youngsters getting the best coaching to get them to the next level.

Hold out for 300k-350k and offer the lad 10% of the fee as a severance/goodwill payment.

There are ways around it.

He’d make 30k in 2 weeks in England and the English clubs will just move on if they think they’re been taken advantage of. They can pick up players elsewhere. Unless you have lads on a long contract, forget about it and long contracts don’t exist in the LOI for several good reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

edgecutter wrote: »
    To get the coaching badges is a fortune. The FAI aren't helping to subsidize this and it's stopping youngsters getting the best coaching to get them to the next level.

That truly is a shame, when the top of the organization is so ****ed like that.

I also don't buy the well worn canard that Stadia are a reason people won't go to LOI games either.

Brother Ulysses, I've seen some gems of reasons why people won't go. One fella on here was the king though. He started out blaming stadium standard. He was told Tallaght Stadium was hosting a game the next night and was 10 mins from his place and had top facilities. He harped on about standard. He was told it would be decent because St. Pats were playing Hannover96 in the Europa League. His final excuse for not going was because there was Olympic swimming on tv at London 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I should qualify sacked - take him off interviews, especially where it's become obvious that the interviewee and himself despise each other.

He's welcome to write and present as much as he likes. But there's a line between asking tough questions and being cynical and he left the line a good bit behind him tonight.

Personally we need to stop offering massive pay packets for managing this team. It isn't helping Irish football.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Delaney gets that per year for himself, be shocked if every ALW gets 100k

Delaneys salary is a joke compared to the LOI prize fund and the fella has been in place now for over 10 years. It’s not healthy that he’s still there in that position.

That said, moving him on isn’t a silver bullet solution.

• Advertisement

edgecutter wrote: »

That truly is a shame, when the top of the organization is so ****ed like that.
    Forget the amount of coaches Iceland have, the north have more than qualified coaches than the south.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement