Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here's the real joke. Airtricity League winners get 100k. John Delaney gets 4 times that doesn't he?

I agree its a joke buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

DeanAustin wrote: »
    He’d make 30k in 2 weeks in England and the English clubs will just move on if they think they’re been taken advantage of. They can pick up players elsewhere. Unless you have lads on a long contract, forget about it and long contracts don’t exist in the LOI for several good reasons.

You telling me Kevin Doyle was on 30k a week when he first joined Reading?
    No chance.

If they really think the lad is worth it then they'll pay 300k. They are paying hundreds of thousands and even millions for teenagers who have never played a first team game. And these are kids from the Second Tier of English football.

If we keep thinking we have to accept low-ball, nothing will change.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I guess we read it differently
    For me the club youth system has a bigger impact than the actual main club in smaller leagues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Offer the top players Full-Time contracts then. Not all players in a squad, but the better ones.

The finances aren't there for that. It was before and led to Shelbourne, Cork and Galway folding if im correct. There needs to be money invested from the FAI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A good start for LOI teams is more Prize money (winners get only 100k) reduce licence's fee's & fines for cards as well.

Would be better than overpaying national teams managers the millions they get for playing hoofball & relying on luck for some success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

You telling me Kevin Doyle was on 30k a week when he first joined Reading?
    No chance.

If they really think the lad is worth it then they'll pay 300k. They are paying hundreds of thousands and even millions for teenagers who have never played a first team game. And these are kids from the Second Tier of English football.

If we keep thinking we have to accept low-ball, nothing will change.

You telling me lads signing for a Premiership club won’t be on at least 5-10k. That’s 5 to 10 times what they’d get here. Imagine you’re that lad. A Premiership club is in for you. Your dreams and financial security are within your grasp and the LOI club won’t let you go?

From the clubs point of view, if they don’t take the 60-70k, the players contract is up at the end of the season anyway and he’ll walk away.

It’s in no ones interest to play hardball because no one wins.

It's not, but it's a necessity as a starting point to improving things.

Depends who he is replaced with.

I've always liked the DFB approach where they actually have Football people involved at the highest level of the organisation. People who understand the game. Not just internationally, but domestically.

Maybe we need a representative from the LOI in a position of authority within the FAI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

We can't compare ourselves to Iceland. You have two GAA codes, rugby, even hockey and cricket in some areas to contend with here, and we punch above our weight in those. Iceland is a one sport country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We really should have set up similarly to Saturday night, trying to out play and superior team was always going to end in failure.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

It's not, but it's a necessity as a starting point to improving things.

Yeah I’d agree. It’s turning Pat Hickeyesque at this stage. I’d have defended Delaney to an extent in the early years but his time should be up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

We can't compare ourselves to Iceland. You have two GAA codes, rugby, even hockey and cricket in some areas to contend with here, and we punch above our weight in those. Iceland is a one sport country.

dentist-4.png?w=600&h=329

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Handball is Iceland's national sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Denmark remembered to bring the tin opener this time around. Never stood a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

So the amswer to our ailgments are more people going to watch the ****e on offer in the loi and delaney walking.

Technically they play hockey and since they have what 10% of our conversation its defo relevant

Denmark remembered to bring the tin opener this time around. Never stood a chance.

If Saturday was like opening a tin with their bare hands, tonight was like gutting a fish. Our lack of strength in depth was exposed. Walters and Coleman would have made a huge difference. Shame really

So the amswer to our ailgments are more people going to watch the ****e on offer in the loi.

Stick to the barstool. Clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

MD1990 wrote: »
    A good start for LOI teams is more Prize money (winners get only 100k) reduce licence's fee's & fines for cards as well.

Get new LOI teams into the First Division from places like Kerry and Mayo and waive their license fee for the first 3 years or so.

Grow the game at the top at national level by having potential promotion from the the provincial senior leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

FAI need to become fit for purpose.

League of Ireland clubs are trying there best to develop players with no help from the FAI.

Shamrock Rovers doing some great work have youngsters training 3-5 times a week before school.

We're also geographically small enough that a proper centre of excellence type setup should relatively easy to get set up and really focus on developing our best talents as well as possible from a very young age.

Should be...

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    We're also geographically small enough that a proper centre of excellence type setup should relatively easy to get set up and really focus on developing our best talents as well as possible from a very young age.

Should be...

Wasn't there talk of a Clairefontaine type set-up here at one stage? What happened to that?

Maybe we should look at four regional academies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's the GAA's fault
    Duh .

They have every kid running around with a stick from the moment the can walk.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: Do we have potential class footballers stolen by the goys and chaps playing these sports.

If it wasn't for the GAA we'd have as many good players as a small country like England.

Godot. wrote: »
    Handball is Iceland's national sport.

And they're shïte at it. Soccer is the sport the kids play, soccer is the sport the big companies back, there's no comparison. We will always depend on scrounging expats to compliment developing a few rough diamonds from home. It's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I know there was a lot of sh!te on show tonight, but Jesus Christ, Hendrick, what the fook has happened to that guy in the last year.

Stick to the barstool. Clown.

Your one of the lads making those suggestions.

The lads in charge of most LOI clubs are also gangsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

sdanseo wrote: »
    I should qualify sacked - take him off interviews, especially where it's become obvious that the interviewee and himself despise each other.

He's welcome to write and present as much as he likes. But there's a line between asking tough questions and being cynical and he left the line a good bit behind him tonight.

I disagree... as a manager he should expect to be asked questions he may not like after a performance like that and the wasted opportunity on Saturday night.

MON has form in throwing a tantrum because the questions don't suit him. Tonight is not the first time he's done it and Tony seemed very nervous as a result - probably expecting it TBH

I say fair play to Tony for calling him out.. we celebrate and tip-toe around mediocrity far too much in this country.

It's the GAA's fault
    Duh .

They have every kid running around with a stick from the moment the can walk.

Whos blaming the GAA exactly
    There is enough kids around for all our main sports, sadly there is just as much excuses

• Advertisement

So the amswer to our ailgments are more people going to watch the ****e on offer in the loi and delaney walking.

Do you realise that if more people got behind it it wouldn't be so sh*te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Get new LOI teams into the First Division from places like Kerry and Mayo and waive their license fee for the first 3 years or so.

Grow the game at the top at national level by having potential promotion from the the provincial senior leagues.

How do you get players in these counties to give up playing Gaelic Football for soccer?

Ireland is huge compared to the likes of Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium so on, but the don't go around chasing a ball with a stick.

Ireland is huge compared to the likes of Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium so on, but the don't go around chasing a ball with a stick.

When it comes to soccer we just run around after the ball.

Huge how?

Your one of the lads making those suggestions.

The lads in charge of most LOI clubs are also gangsters.

Yes like community run clubs in Cork and here in Sligo. Absolute gangsters we are.

At the risk of repeating myself here, but it has to be said.....

Clown

Mod: 24hr Ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Don't know what to say really. Just back at home fresh from watching that utterly demoralizing experience.

I feel like I could write a lot, but my hearts pretty broke at this moment.

I didn't feel like the gig was totally up at half-time, we were only a goal behind in what had been a tight match. Anything was possible in the second half, or so I thought.

I was heartened to see Hoolahan getting at run out from the start of the second half, but, then, to my horror, I came to realise that whatever semblance of solidity Ireland had maintained in the first half was now completely gone. And, as usual, we were completely useless in an attacking sense. The second half was as brutal a demolition job as you'll see on a football field.

I feel desperately sorry that Ireland didn't make it to The World Cup and I feel for the players. But the thought of all those who spent many, many hours on here last night praising MON and his methods makes me sick.

Ireland got what they deserved tonight and the ferocity of the beating was footballing karmic retribution for the awful, truly awful, cro-mag stuff that has become their calling card under O' Neill. We're all very proud when the team spends 99% of a game treating the ball like a live hand grenade, but then somehow fashions a result. It's easy to crow about those things: tonight the chickens came home to roost and we finally got what we deserved.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: Do we have potential class footballers stolen by the goys and chaps playing these sports.

Maybe, maybe not, maybe we have footballers that would have better off playing something else, Iceland are all in the development of decent footballers that we can never match, as I say, it's just the way it is.

Esse85 wrote: »
    How do you get players in these counties to give up playing Gaelic Football for soccer?

There's already teams there. Tralee Dynamos and Castlebar Celtic for example. Carlow Town is another one. They all played in the brief A Championship which acted as a 3rd tier in the LOI. Sides are already there. GAA doesn't really come into it.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I know there was a lot of sh!te on show tonight, but Jesus Christ, Hendrick, what the fook has happened to that guy in the last year.

He's always been limited, few decent games in the last year but overall he's found his level. Was absolutely anonymous again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Billy86 wrote: »

Should be...

I think the u19,u17,15 & soon u13 LOI leagues will start developing better young players.

Already been some benefits in recent years with players developing.

Lots of good young players in the LOI like Clarke,Sule,Curtis & Ogbene just to name a few.

• Advertisement

Yes like community run clubs in Cork and here in Sligo. Absolute gangsters we are.

Clown

Improve the product and people will come and pay money. Dont expect people to part with their hard earned cash just for the craic of it.

Dont always be expecting a hamd out.

When it comes to soccer we just run around after the ball.

That's true. Biggest and strongest horses getting preference too. Small kids shouldn't be near an 11 a side pitch. Start with 5 a side or 7 a side and emphasize passing.

Improve the product and people will come and pay money. Dont expect people to part with their hard earned cash just for the craic of it.

Dont always be expecting a hamd out.

And how do you improve the product? Cash through the turnstiles. It's a catch 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Clown

Take a break.

There's already teams there. Tralee Dynamos and Castlebar Celtic for example. Carlow Town is another one. They all played in the brief A Championship which acted as a 3rd tier in the LOI. Sides are already there. GAA doesn't really come into it.

The standard will be lower, the selection pool will be diluted. The GAA is a major barrier in producing better soccer players.

I think the u19,u17,15 & soon u13 LOI leagues will start developing better young players.

Already been some benefits in recent years with players developing.

Lots of good young players in the LOI like Clarke,Sule,Curtis & Ogbene just to name a few.

It is getting better. The standard of loi is superior now to what I witnessed as a boy in the 80's. A lot of that is due to better pitches. Ultimately the loi and its clubsi owe the green hammer brigade absolutely nothing.

And how do you improve the product? Cash through the turnstiles. It's a catch 22.

But if you need the money is up to you to generate it.

**** sake is it really to much of a luxury to expect a clean jacks pot? That woud be a start.

You could even market it. Come watch Dundalk and dont be afraid of contracting hepatits at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

**** sake is it really to much of a luxury to expect a clean jacks pot? That woud be a start.

You could even market it. Come watch Dundalk and dont be afraid of contracting hepatits at half time.

:D

Dundalk's away section is a disgrace, agreed. Hopefully their European money sorts that out. Turners Cross, Tallaght, Sligo's Showgrounds are all where clubs should strive to be at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Steve wrote: »
    Take a break.

The guy he was responding to who doesn't have a clue about the LOI calling the hard working volunteers at clubs criminals should be given a break too then. Out of order given the work they do out of love for their club and nothing more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement