Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

With regards talent development at underage levels in Ireland I want to make this point.

I gave up doing my coaching badges (got to youth cert) in 2012 for 2 reasons.

1. The cost of it for what we actually learnt when on the courses.

2. Being told that every team will be playing 4-3-3 at underage level and the focus will be upon technical development of the players. I instantly tuned out when hearing this as I knew that come the next Ireland game we would all be watching Trappatoni's version of this.

I have no problem with a defensive mindset for the national team but there has to be some sort of structure for when we win the ball. I havent seen that for quite a while and dont expect to as long as MON is in charge.

From people I have spoken to doing their badges currently there seems to be the same old speel about talent development being rolled out (at an even higher cost now).

There is a clear disconnect between what the FAI preaches to its group of prospective coaches and what they are paying the CEO, board and national manager to produce on the field. We are told as coaches that players should be encouraged to make mistakes and try new things (which I wholeheartedly agree with) but then I see a national team that is riddled with fear when in possession and professional footballs who are encouraged, its seems, to work like dogs to win the ball and then just give it back to the opposition.

Im done with the Irish national team at this point.

If it wasn't for the GAA we'd have as many good players as a small country like England.

This poor mouth excuse is continuously peddled about and its tiring and doing disservice to the actuality of the matter.

Scotland dont have the GAA to lean on for example? Boxing could take the same excuse in Ireland only they decided to get their own house in order and focus on their strengths. Same with rowing and Skibbereen in particular. Sport should be fun but the sad fact is that it isnt in most cases. Where it is fun, only then people reap the real benefits like the o'donovans, mick conlan, paddy barnes, etc.

There is huge soccer participation rate in junior clubs in this country and even in rural areas. Im from a small village and we spent our lunch times in primary school playing soccer and i have to say the most fun ive had was playing soccer in the school yard or with friends in my spare time, free of control freak coaches berating you for mistakes.

The reason Soccer fails in this country is because we have an abundance of Mourinho's who are ruining young kids with this winning at all costs nonsense. Its not just soccer that is limited to this, GAA is also. From all my life experience i think ive concluded at this stage from work, playing sport, or even dealing with authority figures on a daily basis that even the slightest bit of power goes to an Irish persons head

I know because im related to a few of these type of coaches unfortunately. Never much good themselves but giving their punditry in the pub later on along their fellow gombeens. ive played for two juvenile soccer clubs in my time and the constant theme was shíthead coaches with egos ruining it for everyone. We had one referee/coach taking a few training sessions with us and i thought i had been sent to a military camp such was the misery. He couldnt throw enough bouquets at himself either the same pleb.

The mantra should be learn before win. Until Soccer changes from the bottom, it doesnt matter whether its Martin o'neill or pep guardiola over the irish team, it will be the same end product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

dinorebel wrote: »
    You need your best player to be play a position that can affect play even the best RB's in the world cant do that.

Well outside of peak Alves in recent times i agree with that
    Outside him it would probably be McCarthy who i think is our best player, sadly neither available yesterday

This poor mouth excuse is continuously peddled about and its tiring and doing disservice to the actuality of the matter.

Scotland dont have the GAA to lean on for example? Boxing could take the same excuse in Ireland only they decided to get their own house in order and focus on their strengths. Same with rowing and Skibbereen in particular. Sport should be fun but the sad fact is that it isnt in most cases. Where it is fun, only then people reap the real benefits like the o'donovans, mick conlan, paddy barnes, etc.

There is huge soccer participation rate in junior clubs in this country and even in rural areas. Im from a small village and we spent our lunch times in primary school playing soccer and i have to say the most fun ive had was playing soccer in the school yard or with friends in my spare time, free of control freak coaches berating you for mistakes.

The reason Soccer fails in this country is because we have an abundance of Mourinho's who are ruining young kids with this winning at all costs nonsense. Its not just soccer that is limited to this, GAA is also. From all my life experience i think ive concluded at this stage from work, playing sport, or even dealing with authority figures on a daily basis that even the slightest bit of power goes to an Irish persons head

I know because im related to a few of these type of coaches unfortunately. Never much good themselves but giving their punditry in the pub later on along their fellow gombeens. ive played for two juvenile soccer clubs in my time and the constant theme was shead coaches with egos ruining it for everyone. We had one referee/coach taking a few training sessions with us and i thought i had been sent to a military camp such was the misery. He couldnt throw enough bouquets at himself either the same pleb.

The mantra should be learn before win. Until Soccer changes from the bottom, it doesnt matter whether its Martin o'neill or pep guardiola over the irish team, it will be the same end product.
    I only wish we had tactial geniuses like Mourinho, a more apt comparison is Tonys Stoke
    Its a boys club in Irish soccer, the only way you are going to get involved at all in youth soccer is if you have a relation/friend involved in it
    I said it before ive been involved in football in a few countries i could only stick one year in Ireland.
    Seeing lads i had move up a year and get dropped because they werent big enough for the lads that mostly subbed for me even though they had won the league
    It sickened me but the coach was one of those GAA coaches who do soccer in winter and those big fit lads were mainstays in his GAA team

irishman86 wrote: »
    I only wish we had tactial geniuses like Mourinho, a more apt comparison is Tonys Stoke
    Its a boys club in Irish soccer, the only way you are going to get involved at all in youth soccer is if you have a relation/friend involved in it
    I said it before ive been involved in football in a few countries i could only stick one year in Ireland.
    Seeing lads i had move up a year and get dropped because they werent big enough for the lads that mostly subbed for me even though they had won the league
    It sickened me but the coach was one of those GAA coaches who do soccer in winter and those big fit lads were mainstays in his GAA team

Tactical genius? To be honest what he does with Man United is no better then what MON does with Ireland only Mourinho has no excuse because he has better players. Nothing really innovative about camping in your own half. You need the ideal players for the counter attack though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

Myler getting a bit of a roasting from some areas for his 'they have no heart or courage' statement. What a stupid thing to say on the eve of a play off. There is a reason why captains usually say nothing before press conferences.

Tactical genius? To be honest what he does with Man United is no better then what MON does with Ireland only Mourinho has no excuse because he has better players. Nothing really innovative about camping in your own half. You need the ideal players for the counter attack though

Were going to greatly disagree on this , Mourinho is one of the greatest tactical managers of all time
    MON is a fossil on his last legs in football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Weird, I could have sworn he was managing the second highest scoring team in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

Did you hear about the bengaleese betting scabdal?! 6000% increase in European betting reported around the Ireland game with many bets around a 5-1 score line and Tony cascarino scoring first.... apparantly the goalscorer market was lost in translation but still worrying if Irish team are believed to be behind a barney Curley betting coupe

Billy86 wrote: »
    Weird, I could have sworn he was managing the second highest scoring team in the league.

Yes but my point is he can spend money on the likes of Lukaku and drop 100m on Pogba and yet he parks the bus at the likes of Anfield. Anyways im not going to derail the thread any further speaking of Mourinho. He's a high achieving manager no doubt but im failing to see where the innovation is to be honest. I think thats a fair point. what exactly would he do with Ireland for example? I mean if he is defending as if his life depended on it with Manchester United then I cant imagine he would bring much more to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the last peno...the ref let Sisto shoot and then called the peno...didn't think they could call back advantage like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

fryup wrote: »
    the last peno...the ref let Sisto shoot and then called the peno...didn't think they could call back advantage like that?

The law allows for the ref to give the original foul if the perceived advantage doesn’t materialize in ‘several seconds’

I’d say he thought Sisto would score.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

We have bigger problems to be fair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Quick, get onto Infantino and demand to be the 33rd team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

10Cxrrq.png

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just finished reading through (most!) of the thread.

It seems that most people agree that:
    1) Current players are not good enough.
    2) However they are good enough to play better than they have shown (or are being asked to my MON)
    3) The problem is at the underage levels as we have no players coming thorough
    4) We have no players coming through as underage football from 5 year olds to U21 is all about winning and how you win is immaterial.

Number 4) for me is the real kicker.

I watched a "training" session in Herbert park a few weeks ago with various ages of kids, ranging from 5/6 to maybe 9/10.

All of them were using mini-astro pitches and mini-goals and playing 5 a side.
    This is all perfect, however they were ALL using full size footballs.
    For the younger lads the ball was up to their knees...I mean how on earth are you supposed to control that?
    I think even Messi would look average trying to dribble a yoga ball!

Kids should be playing 5 on 5 on astro pitches with mini goals. Full size goals are useless to teach someone how to play, the 8 yo keeper hasnt a chance so basically the big fella on the team whacks it as hard as he can and bang, scores a goal.

You dont need to go to the extreme of having kids doing specific drills all day long, most of them wont stick it if you do that, especially at a young age. You need them to be having fun and learning skills without realizing it. Build games around the skills rather than playing ridiculous matches where 1 bigger than average guy scores 9 goals.

Get them shooting at small targets with futsal sized balls, get them trying to dribble around obstacles in races against each other..all stuff that kids love doing and teaches them basic ball control skills "for free".
    Once they have these you can start on tactics (assuming the coach has some ability i.e. badges!)

Leagues shouldnt start until the kids are 15 or so. You can still play games but a league means pressure to win and keep winning which means skill is irrelevant.

We have enough speed and fitness already, you only have to look at McClean to see that. The problem is its useless when its misdirected. It was painful to watch him hare from one Danish defender to the other while they just passed it back and forth until he got tired and then one of them brought the ball out. You can have 1 guy on the team pressing while the rest of them are giving the lads space!

Ugh. Now I've just annoyed myself more by remembering how bad that was to watch the other night :(

Bottom line, you dont need more money or start from scratch or big wages; you just need to get kids learning more skills and tactics earlier.
    If you have talented kids, the rest of it looks after itself. We'd have an assembly line of top pros earning more money for their clubs and making the LOI a more inviting standard to watch. Look what Belgium did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

But sure he gets 400K no matter what he does.
    Should be no skin off his nose if kids under 15 stop playing Saturday/Sunday leagues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

I will say though his predecessors are worse and what will come after him will probably be as bad. The organisation is rotten as is the olympic council of ireland, his other nest egg

• Advertisement

I will say though his predecessors are worse and what will come after him will probably be as bad. The organisation is rotten as is the olympic council of ireland, his other nest egg

While I don't specifically like Delaney, he is not preventing anyone at underage level from not playing league and instead teaching skills...

GreeBo wrote: »
    While I don't specifically like Delaney, he is not preventing anyone at underage level from not playing league and instead teaching skills...

No fair point but he oversees the overall environment in this state the same way the minister for education overseas how education is delivered and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

GreeBo wrote: »
    Just finished reading through (most!) of the thread.

It seems that most people agree that:
    1) Current players are not good enough.
    2) However they are good enough to play better than they have shown (or are being asked to my MON)
    3) The problem is at the underage levels as we have no players coming thorough
    4) We have no players coming through as underage football from 5 year olds to U21 is all about winning and how you win is immaterial.

Number 4) for me is the real kicker.

1. Good enough to what ?
    They're more than good enough than some of their displays, which would have been more than good enough to qualify.

2. True

3. According to Keith Andrews who has been coaching them at youth level he calls BS on this and stated there's a lot of very technical players a the levels

4. same thing as 3.

Every time we have a bad result this old tripe gets rolled out.

It has fck all to do with the very basic mistakes that were made on Tuesday.

It's the normal OTT knee jerk stuff

MON had a decent reign he made some mistakes, he also got some decent results.

The players made some mistakes and got some decent results and at times played well.

We're a small country with a small pool and that's the way it's always going to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

limnam wrote: »

According to Keith Andrews who has been coaching them at youth level he calls BS on this and stated there's a lot of very technical players a the levels.

Our underage teams have improved over the last couple of years with the 16s and 17s doing well, the 17s and 19s are in the draw which is next month for the final phase of qualification for the 2018 U17s and U19s Euros but the main problem for us is what happens when the players are overage for the 19s. Players get stuck in the English academies struggling to break into the first teams before getting released, some lads will find new clubs but go through the same cycle again.

The biggest change that needs to happen is the fai need to start improving our national league and making it a viable option for our young players between the ages of 18 to 21 to get first team experience and not stuck in the black hole that is English academies. Try to keep players in the country until 21 instead of shipping them off to England at 16. Imagine having a U19 national team of home based players or even the majority home based, would give our national coaches more time to work with the youngsters rather than only seeing them at international breaks.

Our underage teams have improved over the last couple of years with the 16s and 17s doing well, the 17s and 19s are in the draw which is next month for the final phase of qualification for the 2018 U17s and U19s Euros but the main problem for us is what happens when the players are overage for the 19s. Players get stuck in the English academies struggling to break into the first teams before getting released, some lads will find new clubs but go through the same cycle again.

Who are yo blaming for this?
    The biggest change that needs to happen is the fai need to start improving our national league and making it a viable option for our young players between the ages of 18 to 21 to get first team experience and not stuck in the black hole that is English academies. Try to keep players in the country until 21 instead of shipping them off to England at 16. Imagine having a U19 national team of home based players or even the majority home based, would give our national coaches more time to work with the youngsters rather than only seeing them at international breaks.

People have been spouting this rubbish for as long as I can remember.

How do you keep the players in the country? How do you stop them from going abroad?

If they're good enough to be international footballers they're going to be most likely far to good to be playing in Irish PL.

You're not going to become what's required playing Bray and the likes.

How do you keep the players in the country? How do you stop them from going abroad?

If they're good enough to be international footballers they're going to be most likely far to good to be playing in Irish PL.

There’s also the fact that the current manager refuses to pick players in the Irish league, no matter or good you do in Europe.

There’s also the fact that the current manager refuses to pick players in the Irish league, no matter or good you do in Europe.

In general. Managers pick the best players they can regardless of what league they're in.

There's no point picking a player from the Irish league for the sake of picking him if he's not better than the player who's in the English PL/Championship.

Moving up from the IPL to international football is difficult.

In general. Managers pick the best players they can regardless of what league they're in.

There's no point picking a player from the Irish league for the sake of picking him if he's not better than the player who's in the English PL/Championship.

Moving up from the IPL to international football is difficult.

Horgan and Maguire, Horgan was running amok in the Europa League couldn’t get a look in, moves to Preston and I don’t think he’d even played a game for them and he was picked. Pretty much the same with Maguire. How did the plane to England suddenly improve them??

Horgan and Maguire, Horgan was running amok in the Europa League couldn’t get a look in, moves to Preston and I don’t think he’d even played a game for them and he was picked. Pretty much the same with Maguire. How did the plane to England suddenly improve them??

The quality of teams in the Europa league don't tend be very high for the most part.

But you're assuming it was the move to Preston and not on the back of the performances in the europa/cl qualifiers that was the result in him getting n opportunity.

When Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill named his squad for World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Georgia in October 2016, he stated that Horgan would have been called up if it hadn't been for Dundalk's hectic fixture schedule as the end of the League of Ireland season approached.[42] Following a two-goal haul against Cork City in a top-of-the-table league match attended by Martin O'Neill on 11 October 2016, there were further calls for Horgan to be included in Ireland's international squad once the domestic season reached its conclusion.[43] On 2 November 2016, Horgan was called up for the first time by Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill

So looks like Martin was at the game before he went to preston?

• Advertisement

Did I say I was blaming anyone, was pointing out that while Irish kids are doing well at U16 and U17 it's once they get past U19 they get stuck in reserve team football between the important years of 19-23 when they should be playing senior team football.

Tommy Robson who came to Limerick on loan from Sunderland said it best:

"At Sunderland’s U23s, there are too many who are comfortable there. They’ll be coming up to near 100 appearances and it’s like ‘you’ve got to get out and play first team football’.

“There are some good players there too that can do a job. For me, they are wasted doing that. That’s just my opinion.

“If you go and play 20 first team games somewhere or win the reserve league for Sunderland, what’s the bigger achievement? What are you going to get remembered for?”

Competitive senior football trumps reserve team football.

That is the million dollar and honestly Brexit might fix that if Britian leave the EU. At home the FAI have made changes with youth football among senior teams with the new U13, U15, U17 and U19 leagues which now gives players a pathway to senior football and would hopefully see lads stick around until 19 but some will leave because what kid will turn down the chance to sign for Liverpool, United or Arsenal. Only time will tell how successful the new underage leagues will be. FAI still need to improve our national league to give players who don't make it in England and get released at 18/19 a viable option to play football at home for one or two years and taking Irish youngsters on loan from English clubs, worked out really well for Ryan Delaney at Cork who instead of being stuck playing U23 football at Burton was playing senior competitive football and playing alongside the vastly experienced Alan Bennett. Can't get that experience in developmental teams.

Yeah that Seamus Coleman is such a bad player right, those years of playing first team football with Sligo at 18/19 really hinder his international prospects...

Did I say I was blaming anyone, was pointing out that while Irish kids are doing well at U16 and U17 it's once they get past U19 they get stuck in reserve team football between the important years of 19-23 when they should be playing senior team football.

That's why I was asking, if something or someone was to blame or if it just it what it is.

That is the million dollar and honestly

Ah I assuumed you had an answer for it, or felt there was an answer that someone else wasn't implementing.
    Yeah that Seamus Coleman is such a bad player right, those years of playing first team football with Sligo at 18/19 really hinder his international prospects...

Didn't hinder it at all. But as I said, if you're good enough, you won't be playing in the IPL. The last time I looked Seamus wasn't on Sligo's roster.

He's not the player he is today because he was chasing bray's right winger for his career.

He's not the player he is today because he was chasing bray's right winger for his career.

Technically it was Brays left winger and without his time in Sligo he'd probably be playing junior football in Donegal so yes 100% he is the player he is today because his time at Sligo got him spotted by Everton.

Technically it was Brays left winger and without his time in Sligo he'd probably be playing junior football in Donegal so yes 100% he is the player he is today because his time at Sligo got him spotted by Everton.

You know what I meant.

and no.

He's as good as he is _today_ because he's playing and defending against the best wingers around.

Of course you have to be spotted somewhere.

But that's like saying cobh ramblers made roy keane.

It's just nonsense.

You know what I meant.

and no.

He's as good as he is _today_ because he's playing and defending against the best wingers around.

Of course you have to be spotted somewhere.

But that's like saying cobh ramblers made roy keane.

It's just nonsense.

Yup but according to you:

"If they're good enough to be international footballers they're going to be most likely far to good to be playing in Irish PL.

You're not going to become what's required playing Bray and the likes"

Which was proving wrong seeing as our current captain along with other players in the squad are ex LOI players.

Yup but according to you:

"If they're good enough to be international footballers they're going to be most likely far to good to be playing in Irish PL.

You're not going to become what's required playing Bray and the likes"

Which was proving wrong seeing as our current captain along with other players in the squad are ex LOI players.

Not at all.

They're too good to playing in the IPL hence they're not in it!

Roy Keane wouldn't have captained Ireland staying at cobh and seamus wouldn't be if he stayed in Ireland.

They're too good for the IPL if you're too good, you'll go elsewhere.

So I've no idea what your point is.

This discussion is moving towards school yard stuff so I'm going to leave it here.

We can resume it the next time someone makes a mistake in an irish jersey and whine about what we're doing wrong with no real answers how to fix it.

• Advertisement

Not at all.

They're too good to playing in the IPL hence they're not in it!

Roy Keane wouldn't have captained Ireland staying at cobh and seamus wouldn't be if he stayed in Ireland.

They're too good for the IPL if you're too good, you'll go elsewhere.

So I've no idea what your point is.

This discussion is moving towards school yard stuff so I'm going to leave it here.

We can resume it the next time someone makes a mistake in an irish jersey and whine about what we're doing wrong with no real answers how to fix it.

Do you promise to leave it there because you've totally missed my original point and have been randomly arguing about something I didn't say.

Nobody said that all our players should be playing in LOI constanly. What was said was that the FAI need to improve our national league, the LOI to make it a viable option for young players between 18-21 to gain first team experience playing senior football rather than developmental football with academies in England before then moving to England for senior football. Nowhere did I claim that players should all be playing in Ireland.

Also FYI, it's LOI not IPL. That's in Indian so don't know why our players would be playing down there.

Also FYI, it's LOI not IPL. That's in Indian so don't know why our players would be playing down there.

As I said.

School yard stuff.

It's one of the reason LOI discusions break down on here

It seems to be mostly followed by 9yr olds who can't have an adult discussion

Do you promise to leave it there because you've totally missed my original point and have been randomly arguing about something I didn't say.

Nobody said that all our players should be playing in LOI constanly. What was said was that the FAI need to improve our national league, the LOI to make it a viable option for young players between 18-21 to gain first team experience playing senior football rather than developmental football with academies in England before then moving to England for senior football. Nowhere did I claim that players should all be playing in Ireland.

If you are going to be pedantic, it’s always best to be right. The League of Ireland is not a league, it’s a governing body. FYI. The Irish version of the Premiership is the SSE Airtricity League, this comes under the stewardship of the LOI, along with the First division, U23 league, U19s league and U15s league.

As I said.

School yard stuff.

Selective quoting ftw
    If you are going to be pedantic, it’s always best to be right. The League of Ireland is not a league, it’s a governing body. FYI. The Irish version of the Premiership is the SSE Airtricity League, this comes under the stewardship of the LOI, along with the First division, U23 league, U19s league and U15s league.

True the LOI is a governing body, I'll admit when I make mistakes unlike others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Johnnyryan is 100% right in what he is saying, it is a massive problem of lads between the ages of 18-21 not playing senior football. Not just for us but for England also, as players in this age bracket are struggling to break into premier league teams when they can buy the best young talent in the world. Look at some of the players in our U.21 squad, say Grego-Cox who has scored a good few goals at that level. He is 21 years old and not getting a look in senior football wise. He has played 8 senior games over the past 3 seasons according to wikipedia (7 of which were in League 2), this guy is not going to be the solution to our goal scoring problems, he needs to be playing senior football at a younger age. Compare him to our current strikers, all of whom either came from the league of Ireland or the lower leagues in England.

• Advertisement

Johnnyryan is 100% right in what he is saying, it is a massive problem of lads between the ages of 18-21 not playing senior football. Not just for us but for England also, as players in this age bracket are struggling to break into premier league teams when they can buy the best young talent in the world. Look at some of the players in our U.21 squad, say Grego-Cox who has scored a good few goals at that level. He is 21 years old and not getting a look in senior football wise. He has played 8 senior games over the past 3 seasons according to wikipedia (7 of which were in League 2), this guy is not going to be the solution to our goal scoring problems, he needs to be playing senior football at a younger age. Compare him to our current strikers, all of whom either came from the league of Ireland or the lower leagues in England.

huh

The England side is a wash with EPL talent.
    Always has been
    Even if they were in the championship it's far stronger than our league

To be honest most players from the top tier of Irish football would struggle to make it into decent sides in League 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

huh

Always has been

To be honest most players from the top tier of Irish football would struggle to make it into decent sides in League 1

Of course they are, English players rarely move abroad. But most top EPL sides aren't awash with English talent. City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea all have mainly foreign players in their squads - anyway this is going off topic slightly.

I'm not saying that the current crop of LoI players are good enough to make the senior team, but long term we should be hoping that instead of our younger players going to England and failing, they will opt to stay in our league and then move over when the time is right - such as Maguire, Horgan, Boyle, Long, Hoolahan etc.

Of course they are, English players rarely move abroad. But most top EPL sides aren't awash with English talent. City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea all have mainly foreign players in their squads - anyway this is going off topic slightly.

Sorry my point is it has no impact on the English international side, they can always field a team of top talent playing in the EPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

As I said.

School yard stuff.

True colours coming out now.

If you insist on being so condescending about your national league, at least get the name right. The IPL is a cricket league.

Chasing the Bray winger didn't do Maguire any harm. Failed in England as a kid and moved back and now flying in the Championship.

huh

Always has been

Nobody has tried to claim that it's not. People are talking about our youth players but you keep thinking that people are saying we should have our senior international players playing in Ireland.

fullstop wrote: »
    True colours coming out now.

If you insist on being so condescending about your national league, at least get the name right. The IPL is a cricket league.

Another one.

Nobody has tried to claim that it's not. People are talking about our youth players but you keep thinking that people are saying we should have our senior international players playing in Ireland.

Let me break it down into smaller chunks.

"it is a massive problem of lads between the ages of 18-21 not playing senior football. Not just for us but for England also"

It's not a problem for England regarding the international team

Let me break it down into smaller chunks.

"it is a massive problem of lads between the ages of 18-21 not playing senior football. Not just for us but for England also"

It's not a problem for England regarding the international team

I disagree, i think it is a problem for the English national team
    They dont really have the young players coming through as often as they used to
    Just because they qualify with ease for tournaments doesnt mean it doesnt affect them
    Looking at the team available to them they are a last 32 team nothing more

irishman86 wrote: »
    I disagree, i think it is a problem for the English national team
    They dont really have the young players coming through as often as they used to
    Just because they qualify with ease for tournaments doesnt mean it doesnt affect them
    Looking at the team available to them they are a last 32 team nothing more

They field a team of EPL players every game.....

They always have.....How is it a problem?

Look at the riches up front alone...

Harry kane....
    Jamie Vardy......
    Rashford.....
    Danny Welbeck....
    Sterling
    Wayne Rooney up until recently....

Pl winners.
    Cl winners
    Europa league winners
    Fa cup winners
    League cup winners..

All playing in top tier PL teams...

Please sell your rubbish somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Another one.

Great response.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement