Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

fullstop wrote: »
    Great response.

As interesting as your Indian nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

limnam wrote: »
    They field a team of EPL players every game.....

They always have.....How is it a problem?

Look at the riches up front alone...

Harry kane....
    Jamie Vardy......
    Rashford.....
    Danny Welbeck....
    Sterling
    Wayne Rooney up until recently....
    I think what he means is they finished behind Iceland in the last tournament, and behind Costa Rica in the tournament before that.

I think what he means is they finished behind Iceland in the last tournament, and behind Costa Rica in the tournament before that.

Not because they're not producing talent.

Look at this.

http://www.national-football-teams.com/country/59/2017/England.html

I don't think we have 1 player as good as any of these, not 1.

It's an embarrassment of riches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Look at this.

http://www.national-football-teams.com/country/59/2017/England.html

I don't think we have 1 player as good as any of these, not 1.

It's an embarrassment of riches.
    I actually agree, England fans should be tearing their hair out from 50 years of underachievement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

They field a team of EPL players every game.....

They always have.....How is it a problem?

Look at the riches up front alone...

Harry kane....
    Jamie Vardy......
    Rashford.....
    Danny Welbeck....
    Sterling
    Wayne Rooney up until recently....

Pl winners.
    Cl winners
    Europa league winners
    Fa cup winners
    League cup winners..

All playing in top tier PL teams...

Please sell your rubbish somewhere else.

Calm down buddy
    Off course they field a team of pl players as they are needed for squad registration
    Vardy came through the leagues so you prove my point that they are struggling more to come through
    Maybe stop trying to sell your own rubbish as none of those outside of Kane are capable of playing for one of the big countries that will look to win the world cup
    Why on earth are you so angry about this point when its been proven more and more in recent tournaments with England that they arent as strong as they were even ten years ago

Not because they're not producing talent.

Which English player of that list do you consider top talent outside of Kane
    Sterling at a push has potential
    Rooney is ten years ago buddy
    Welbeck :pac:
    Like i mentioned Vardy came through the leagues
    Rashford has potential
    So one player is a top talent
    To say England have the talent coming through like previous generations is laughable when half the league is foreign anymore

irishman86 wrote: »
    Which English player of that list do you consider top talent outside of Kane
    Sterling at a push has potential
    Rooney is ten years ago buddy
    Welbeck :pac:
    Like i mentioned Vardy came through the leagues
    Rashford has potential
    So one player is a top talent
    To say England have the talent coming through like previous generations is laughable when half the league is foreign anymore

Are you out of your mind?

You're picking apart the England side as rubbish.

When the Ireland team don't have one player as good in the squad and people are moaning we didn't get out of the group?

Delusional.

Are you out of your mind?

You're picking apart the England side as rubbish.

When the Ireland team don't have one player as good in the squad and people are moaning we didn't get out of the group?

Delusional.

Dear god, cant you read.
    The English team is a second tier team, seriously dont know how you are denying this buddy
    Ireland is a forth tier team, that doesnt mean they cant have similar problems just with different standard
    How do you find this so hard to understand
    Look at the bundesliga/la liga/ligue 1 these leagues have way more young players from the native country playing each weak compared to England
    Englands problem is that at the top clubs they dont really have starters compared to the other top teams
    Now i dont want to go through all the top tier teams but i will do a quick selection
    France only Walker would get into that team
    Germany Kane and perhaps Walker
    etc etc etc
    Look through the teams they all start on top teams

• Advertisement

Dear god, cant you read.
    The English team is a second tier team, seriously dont know how you are denying this buddy
    Ireland is a forth tier team, that doesnt mean they cant have similar problems just with different standard
    How do you find this so hard to understand
    Look at the bundesliga/la liga/ligue 1 these leagues have way more young players from the native country playing each weak compared to England
    Englands problem is that at the top clubs they dont really have starters compared to the other top teams
    Now i dont want to go through all the top tier teams but i will do a quick selection
    France only Walker would get into that team
    Germany Kane and perhaps Walker
    etc etc etc
    Look through the teams they all start on top teams

England are still doing what they have been doing for a long time easily qualifying for the euros/wc then failing miserably, there wasnt always such a big number of foreign players in the league so you can't point to that as an excuse foe their failings.

Also it will just naturally occur every generation will be have variables in talent to previous or future generations and you can't just point to the current crop and saying they wouldn't get in to x y z teams as proof of anything.

If England start to struggle to qualify for the comps or constantly have a deft of talent in relation to the other big international teams then you could start to look for reasons. But atm its far too early to make a call on that and wouldn't be obvious for many years to come.

England are still doing what they have been doing for a long time easily qualifying for the euros/wc then failing miserably, there wasnt always such a big number of foreign players in the league so you can't point to that as an excuse foe their failings.

Also it will just naturally occur every generation will be have variables in talent to previous or future generations and you can't just point to the current crop and saying they wouldn't get in to x y z teams as proof of anything.

If England start to struggle to qualify for the comps or constantly have a deft of talent in relation to the other big international teams then you could start to look for reasons. But atm its far too early to make a call on that and wouldn't be obvious for many years to come.

I'm merely pointing out generation on generation they have less talent coming through at the top clubs
    Ireland is not the only ones affected by this

I'm merely pointing out generation on generation they have less talent coming through at the top clubs
    Ireland is not the only ones affected by this

Ya the top clubs now pick players from all over the world. Its had no visible effect on the e glish teams performances campaign to campaign

Ya the top clubs now pick players from all over the world. Its had no visible effect on the e glish teams performances campaign to campaign

Just looking at the players the teams used to have i respectfully disagree buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In the past all of Englands team would have come from the top clubs.

Now they are using the entire division, including muck teams lower down.

But I think every nation in world football is gradually getting worse, we aren't the only ones.

Just looking at the players the teams used to have i respectfully disagree buddy

All I'm saying is the pool they are picking from seems to have the same level of talent that keeps them at the same level they have been since I've been watching them play. The only difference is they don't play for the biggest clubs in England at the moment. The player pool in England has been diluted with some of the best players around the world. So to me it would stand to reason that less would be playing in the top teams in their own country.

But you're right its next the impossible to prove one way or another what is having an effect or if there is even an effect. I respectfully agree to disagree with you :D

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

But I think every nation in world football is gradually getting worse, we aren't the only ones.

If everyone is getting worse does that mean everyone is staying the same?

NIMAN wrote: »

Their "first choice" defense is made up of

Machester united / Chelsea and City

Midfield

Liverpool,spurs/United

Strikers.

Liverpool/City/United/Spurs/Leicester

Leicester probably been the odd one out, but vardy did win the league with them so not exactly muck either.

Hows that different from any other England side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The chat here about the pathways for young Irish players coming through got me thinking. Today I had a good look at the Irish U.17s from 2004, 2005 & 2006, players born in 1988, 89 & 1990, I just wanted to see how many of them actually did come on to be big players for us in the end, I had a feeling the findings would be bad but wow it is terrible :eek:
    • Of the 54 players I went through, only 6 of them ever went on to win senior caps (26 caps between them).
    • Only 18 of the 54 are still playing at some kind of recognizable level, i.e - conference or above in England or top two divisions in Ireland/Scotland.
    • Only 9 of them went on to play Championship level or above on even a semi-regular basis.
    • 47 of the 54 (at least), played in England when they were teenagers. Some of them could have been English born players though.

Even though that is just a small sample, it goes to show that relying on the English system is failing us. The fact that 66% of them aren't even playing (basically) anymore is staggering, surely these guys would have been good enough to come back and play to a decent level in Ireland?? I'm sure injuries ruined the careers of a few.

I wonder what will be the strike rate of our current batch of U.17s? Always talk of our young players at clubs like United and Liverpool but when is the last time we had a player who actually broke through at a top club, John O'Shea 15 years ago?

The chat here about the pathways for young Irish players coming through got me thinking. Today I had a good look at the Irish U.17s from 2004, 2005 & 2006, players born in 1988, 89 & 1990, I just wanted to see how many of them actually did come on to be big players for us in the end, I had a feeling the findings would be bad but wow it is terrible :eek:
    • Of the 54 players I went through, only 6 of them ever went on to win senior caps (26 caps between them).
    • Only 18 of the 54 are still playing at some kind of recognizable level, i.e - conference or above in England or top two divisions in Ireland/Scotland.
    • Only 9 of them went on to play Championship level or above on even a semi-regular basis.
    • 47 of the 54 (at least), played in England when they were teenagers. Some of them could have been English born players though.

Even though that is just a small sample, it goes to show that relying on the English system is failing us. The fact that 66% of them aren't even playing (basically) anymore is staggering, surely these guys would have been good enough to come back and play to a decent level in Ireland?? I'm sure injuries ruined the careers of a few.

I wonder what will be the strike rate of our current batch of U.17s? Always talk of our young players at clubs like United and Liverpool but when is the last time we had a player who actually broke through at a top club, John O'Shea 15 years ago?

I'm not sure why it's so surprising.

The vast majority of people who try to be a professional in any sport fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think we're done here.

You can post about the Irish national team here : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057807725

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement