Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs Denmark, World Cup Play-Off 2nd Leg, kick-off 7.45, RTE 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Denmark bring in Poulsen and Christensen. Would be nice to have the luxury of starting two fresh Champions league level players.

Anyone who thinks anything other than extreme caution is the way to go against a vastly superior side is away with the fairies. Luckily our team is in extremely safe hands and we have shown the ability to nullify these sorts of threats.

Don't tell that to the Dunphy brigade :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Long, hoolahan and Mcgeady/odowda provide big impact off the bench.

Well he usually waits and waits before making a change so it could be too late if thats his thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Denmark bring in Poulsen and Christensen. Would be nice to have the luxury of starting two fresh Champions league level players.

Anyone who thinks anything other than extreme caution is the way to go against a vastly superior side is away with the fairies. Luckily our team is in extremely safe hands and we have shown the ability to nullify these sorts of threats.

Vastly superior?

I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That's like telling a fella being brought to a Rom Com to see is it any different.

Sorry but we've seen this story enough times you at least know how it'll go.

We've seen other approaches being tried without success as well.

There's a fair argument that new players should have been tried out earlier in qualification, but it's far too late for that now and the desperation on here to see an aging Hoolahan and woefully out of form Long is verging on the ridiculous.

alta stare wrote: »
    Well he usually waits and waits before making a change so it could be too late if thats his thinking.

That's a criticism I can agree with to be fair, we need to get them on fairly early if things aren't going well.

• Advertisement

Don't tell that to the Dunphy brigade :)

Ye need to hashtag that #dunphybrigade

Altho its premise is stupid so maybe it wont catch on.

So murphy upfront. So when the ball is kicked up the field time after time we have no one to chase it.Tactical genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I am probably hoping against hope, but I backed Hendrick to score first and Ireland to win 2-1 at 100/1. Happy that Meyler is in now to allow Hendrick more freedom.

COYBIG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So murphy upfront. So when the ball is kicked up the field time after time we have no one to chase it.Tactical genius.

Yep. Nothing against Murphy but he's the least mobile forward I've seen this side of a near 40 year old Peter Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

alta stare wrote: »

He'll only make the change if it's the correct thing to do, remember this could go 120 minutes 3 days after the 1st leg. Impact off the bench could be huge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Would have started with Hoolahan & Long myself.

Still a potentially decent side if we can show some composure in possession and get some support up to Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

pjohnson wrote: »
    At least give it until half time before this level of giving out FFS.

They were dying to see Hoolahan left out so they could start!
    Particularly mad as hookah an should never be starting this game. Would've taken long in over Murphy, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I had a feeling that he'd start that team.
    Expect impact subs if we're behind or still at nil/nil with 25 mins to go.
    I didn't believe he'd start Hoolihan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would have started with Hoolahan & Long myself.

Still a potentially decent side if we can show some composure in possession and get some support up to Murphy.

Why?

They both warm the benches at their clubs.

Long is clearly not good enough but may be a good sub to bring on for 20 minutes.

• Would have started with Hoolahan & Long myself.

That's the big if

He'll only make the change if it's the correct thing to do, remember this could go 120 minutes 3 days after the 1st leg. Impact off the bench could be huge.

Ah here have you not noticed his form over the last few yrs???? He usually makes a sub around 70mins maybe later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Reckon we go to penalties where it'll be heartbreak for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Be great if Shane Long could cop the **** and score his first goal in 6 years tonight.

Reckon we'll win tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Think Wes is overrated so not surprised, or disappointed he isn't starting.

Happy enough with a solid team, and hopefully Murphy can have some kind of an impact today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

When Long was regular and in deplorable form everyone was calling out for Murphy to start, we've always played a similar style. Now he is starting everyone is calling for Long again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

My poor stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Be great if Shane Long could cop the **** and score his first goal in 6 years tonight.

Reckon we'll win tbh.
    He's scored 10 goals for us in the last 6 years? :confused:

We've seen other approaches being tried without success as well.

There's a fair argument that new players should have been tried out earlier in qualification, but it's far too late for that now and the desperation on here to see an aging Hoolahan and woefully out of form Long is verging on the ridiculous.

I'm not questioning the personal at all and the only time he swayed from the status quo was against Serbia at home where we put in a good shift, created chances but lost gracfully 1-0 to a taken half chance.

Entering Wes wouldn't make a difference with that set up.

I think we'd be far better served with two ahead of the ball so it has a chance to stick. 10 or 11 behind the ball is pointless unless you're possibly trying to lose by less than 3-0 to ensure a bigger picture is met ie qualification on GD losing less than X

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Billy86 wrote: »
    He's scored 10 goals for us in the last 6 years? :confused:
    Sarcasm my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Jesus christ, absolute cringe.

Ugggh I hate this contrived crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I cringe at these RTE promos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

They are basically ripping off Interstellar to a tee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

D.Q wrote: »
    Murphy up front by himself again, flicking it on to no one. I think long would be better in that chasing role.

Murphy is slow at running also. I noticed it in the last game. McLean made a run down the left and murphy was in the centre circle and McLean was running faster than Murphy and he he had the ball even if McLean got the cross across Murphy was nowhere near the goal to even have an attempt.

• Advertisement

Only yourselves to blame lads, best staying well away from RTE until kick off

RTE winding up the Welsh by using one of their poems.

No more cringey than what Sky or BBC would do btw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rekop dog wrote:
    When Long was regular and in deplorable form everyone was calling out for Murphy to start, we've always played a similar style. Now he is starting everyone is calling for Long again.

I for one was not. We seemingly have two options up top. I'll take the out of form striker with pace over the lumbering Murphy given the way we play. Just makes more tactical sense.. to me anyways.

But what would I know I'm an armchair supporter :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭JamBur

I like it.... Maybe I'm not cynical enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Gleeson should be embarrassed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭JamBur

murpho999 wrote: »
    RTE winding up the Welsh by using one of their poems

Good catch

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Gleeson should be embarrassed

Why?

For reading a classic poem?

People need to relax.

Listen if we go 1 behind early on he needs to make chanhes then. He cant wait. We'll need two and as much time as possible to get them. Still think we'll nick it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RTE can't even get the team on screen ffs. Basic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

1-1 out on away goals

Reckon we go to penalties where it'll be heartbreak for us.

Penalties are a complete lottery and unpredictable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Denmark would be crazy not to come out and attack us. Each goal they score is worth double ours. If they score first we are in a lot of trouble and even if they go 1-0 down, they only need one goal to win. Its going to be a long nervy night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Problems with highlights after the game on Saturday as well...

They also didn't show the XI/formation of the Danes right before kickoff on Saturday either. Only the Irish team.

They're useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

That team says we are scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is the match on anywhere else other than RTE?

Think you need to adjust your TV or Sat/Cable settings. Team was fine on my TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably would have started Long even though he's out of form. Murphy can barely move and put in a big shift only 3 days ago.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is the match on anywhere else other than RTE?

I'll google that for you.

It's on Sky Sports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Hazys wrote: »
    Denmark would be crazy not to come out and attack us. Each goal they score is worth double ours. If they score first we are in a lot of trouble and even if they go 1-0 down, they only need one goal to win. Its going to be a long nervy night.

So you’re saying if they score 2 we need 4 to draw with them, we’re fecked alright

Hazys wrote: »

But away goals are harder to score though. Isnt that why we went out on Saturday and didnt try to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'll google that for you.

It's on Sky Sports.

I'm not feckin changing the title again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement