Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hoboo wrote: »
    Tell me he wasn't part of the last season of GOT.

He wrote episode 2 of the final season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

He wrote episode 2 of the final season.

Jesus. That was the worst, was close to switching it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Hoboo wrote: »
    Jesus. That was the worst, was close to switching it off.

That episode was fine. The problem was there wasn't enough leading up to that episode to explain why it would happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

J.A. Bayona (The Orphanage, The Impossible, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom) is directing the first two episodes.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-lord-of-the-rings-j-a-bayona-direct-amazon-series-juan-antonio-bayona-1202640048/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He's a good director. I know a lot of people hated the Jurassic world film he did but I think that was more plot issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Unearthly wrote: »
    He's a good director. I know a lot of people hated the Jurassic world film he did but I think that was more plot issues
    It was also a pretty awful film to watch. If it was just plot issues then a screwup in this won't do him any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bryan Cogman who was a writer and producer on GoT has joined as a consultant.
    There is a risk with this "LOTR" that it will end up with all the bad habits of GOT. It really can't afford that at the price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fallen Kingdom had tonnes of flaws, but direction was not one of them;, what scenes did work were down to Bayona's tight, efficient handling and horror sensibilities. He was arguably the first since the Spielberg original to make dinosaurs threatening again. He'll suit LOTR well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

pixelburp wrote: »
    Fallen Kingdom had tonnes of flaws, but direction was not one of them;, what scenes did work were down to Bayona's tight, efficient handling and horror sensibilities. He was arguably the first since the Spielberg original to make dinosaurs threatening again. He'll suit LOTR well.

Make Palaeontology Great Again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

corkie wrote: »

Further to this, Tolkien expert Tom Shippey, who is working on the series, says "the estate has refused to allow the series to be set during any period other than the Second Age of Middle-earth."
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/aug/09/amazons-new-lord-of-the-rings-cannot-use-much-of-tolkiens-plot
    I'm actually happy about this because The Fall of Numenor is the only bit of the 'background mythology' that I really care for. Plus I think it's better to break away from the Hobbit/LOTR era completely rather than trying to fill in Aragorn's backstory or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Will Poulter cast in one of the lead roles (/Film)

They announced that they are filming the series in New Zealand.

They will start filming in the coming months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ostensibly good news, though thanks to WB pressuring NZ to hobble its labour laws (during the chaos otherwise known as the filming of The Hobbit), all those crews won't have the same protections they used to. Amazon not exactly known as the beacon of employee's rights either.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/oct/31/warner-bros-new-zealand-hobbit-film

</buzzkill>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think I read somewher that Tolkein got a lot of inspiration for Middle Earth from his visits to Ireland, especially the Burren, I'm always disappointed that Ireland didn't get to be the base for LotR

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Clareman wrote: »
    I think I read somewher that Tolkein got a lot of inspiration for Middle Earth from his visits to Ireland, especially the Burren, I'm always disappointed that Ireland didn't get to be the base for LotR

It's only conjecture (though the tourist brochures don't point that out...) but apparently the cave system Poll na gColm in the Burren was where he got the name Gollum from. He definitely spent time in the area at least.

Renewed for a 2nd season
    In conjunction with the early renewal, the LOTR series will go on a 4-5-month hiatus after filming the first two episodes from Season 1, directed by J.A. Bayona. The writing team of the series, led by showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, will use the time to map out and write the bulk of Season 2 scripts.

Taking a break after the opening episode or two is standard practice for shows with straight-to-series orders as it allows producers and executives to step back and evaluate the footage much like they would do with a pilot. By going on a longer than normal hiatus, LOTR will be ready with Season 2 scripts so it could possibly film some Season 2 footage during the Season 1 shoot or even film the remainder of Season 1 and Season 2 back-to-back.

That was a strategy used by Peter Jackson in shooting his blockbuster LOTR movie trilogy, also in New Zealand. That is considered a sensible approach for big-budget productions like LOTR as it helps find efficiencies because every filming ramp-up is expensive. Additionally, by extending the hiatus, the series, which, in keeping with the Tolkien mythology is expected to shoot primarily outdoors, will return to production after the winter season in New Zealand is over.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/the-lord-of-the-rings-series-renewed-season-2-amazon-early-renewal-season-1-hiatus-writers-room-reassembled-1202788730/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I would imagine that, given the mind-boggingly huge budget proposed that they will either fully commit to 4 or 5 seasons or whatever they had planned or not commit at all.

There any tentative release date on this? Feels like it's going to take a while for this to come out, maybe 2021 at a minimum before it shows up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Gosh, one wonders if he might be pulling a Stuart Townsend, and come to regret the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The two things I would know him best from are The Maze Runner and Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

https://www.hypable.com/lord-of-the-rings-series-casts-game-of-thrones-actor-robert-aramayo/

Amazon’s Lord of the Rings series has cast Game of Thrones actor Robert Aramayo to replace Will Poulter.

With the massive success of Game of Thrones, fantasy adaptations have become all the rage for TV producers and writers. HBO followed up Game of Thrones with an adaptation of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials series, Netflix adapted The Witcher based on Andrzej Sapkowski’s book series, and Showtime recently won the rights to produce a Gormenghast series, with iconic Sandman author Neil Gaiman set to produce.

Amazon, too, is looking to throw its hat in the fantasy adaptation ring, trotting out not one but two major fantasy adaptations over the next few years — Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series and an adaptation set in the world J.R.R Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings series.

Though we haven’t had many updates about Amazon’s Lord of the Rings series, casting reports have recently been leaking, though all remain unconfirmed by the streamer.

According to a recent report from Deadline, Amazon’s series has reportedly cast Game of Thrones alum Robert Aramayo to fill in the role recently vacated by fellow Brit Will Poulter.

‘Lord Of The Rings’: Amazon Studios Sets Series Cast
    Amazon Studios at TCA today announced the first group of regulars set to star in their adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings series. The cast officially includes Robert Aramayo, Owain Arthur, Nazanin Boniadi, Tom Budge, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Ema Horvath, Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle, Tyroe Muhafidin, Sophia Nomvete, Megan Richards, Dylan Smith, Charlie Vickers, and Daniel Weyman. Cameras roll next month. Table reads in New Zealand are already underway.

It was previously reported that Horvath, Kavenagh and Mawle boarded the series, but Amazon never confirmed them. The studio made it official today that the trio were indeed part of the cast. Will Poulter, who had joined The Lord of the Rings TV series in September, exited last month due to scheduling conflicts

“We still have a few key roles to cast,” said Amazon Co-head of TV Vernon Sanders at TCA this afternoon. Together with Amazon Studios boss Jennifer Salke and co-head of TV and COO Albert Cheng, they weren’t ready to give up who exactly these actors would be playing in the new series.

As previously announced, the series is led by showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay; they are joined by filmmaker J.A. Bayona (The Orphanage, Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom), who is directing the first two episodes and serving as executive producer, alongside his partner Belén Atienza; with executive producers Lindsey Weber (10 Cloverfield Lane), Bruce Richmond (Game of Thrones), Gene Kelly (Boardwalk Empire), Sharon Tal Yguado, Gennifer Hutchison (Breaking Bad), Jason Cahill (The Sopranos), and Justin Doble (Stranger Things).

Said McKay and Payne: “After undertaking an extensive global search, we are delighted finally to reveal the first group of brilliant performers who will take part in Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings series. These exceptionally talented women and men are more than just our actors: they are the newest members of an ever-expanding creative family that is now working tirelessly to bring Middle-earth to life anew for fans and audiences worldwide.”

https://deadline.com/2020/01/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-studios-sets-series-cast-tca-1202830413/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't think I've heard of any of those actors. Maybe no bad thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

There doesn't appear to be any well known names associated with this at all. The first season of GoT had Sean Bean, Charles Dance, Mark Addy and a bunch of other lesser known but still recognisable people like Jerome Flynn, Peter Vaughan, James Cosmo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Don't think I've heard of any of those actors. Maybe no bad thing...

The only person I recognise is Nazanin Boniadi who was in Counterpart playing Clare

On a related note, Christopher Tolkien has passed away. 95 is a good innings by all accounts. RIP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement