Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

It would be great if they just did all of The Silmarillion, followed by the 2nd age. They could really milk that for multiple seasons.

As an aside, Im still amazed that nobody has brought any of Stephen Donaldson's work to TV or cinema. Mordant's Need or Covenant's Chronicles would be fantastic to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

human 19 wrote: »
    It would be great if they just did all of The Silmarillion, followed by the 2nd age. They could really milk that for multiple seasons.

I find a lot of the First Age stuff kind of tedious tbh. Hoping for a focus on the Numenor story

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

human 19 wrote: »
    As an aside, Im still amazed that nobody has brought any of Stephen Donaldson's work to TV or cinema. Mordant's Need or Covenant's Chronicles would be fantastic to watch.
    There's a lot of great fantasy primed for adaptation - I wouldn't put the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant among then. And, given some of the events of the second series, there's no way they'd do it these days without major changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

I find a lot of the First Age stuff kind of tedious tbh. Hoping for a focus on the Numenor story

Well, its on a map they posted
    https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1103656820130775050?s=20

Im guessing it will be about the forging of the rings and the aftermath, given that it ties directly to LOTR and they want to bring in characters like Galadriel, Sauron & Elrond which the public are familiar with.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Confirmed that this will be set during the Second Age, and surrounds the rise of Sauron (IIRC briefly seen at the start of Fellowship of the Ring?).

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2021/01/12/110065-exclusive-official-show-synopsis-for-amazons-lord-of-the-rings-series/
    Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/amazon-s-lord-of-the-rings-will-have-plenty-of-elves-but-will-there-be-any-hobbits-1.4457376

Apparently there's an 'intimacy coordinator' so they might be taking some leads from GoT. Or maybe it's something to do with covid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

pixelburp wrote: »
    Confirmed that this will be set during the Second Age, and surrounds the rise of Sauron (IIRC briefly seen at the start of Fellowship of the Ring?).

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2021/01/12/110065-exclusive-official-show-synopsis-for-amazons-lord-of-the-rings-series/

Exciting, looking forward to it

I'd say a series set after the events of the LOTR would be harder to write but I'm not familiar with the books. There may of been big events

"You can take it there’ll be lots of elves, since this was pretty much their time, but will there be any hobbits, and will we revisit the bucolic idyll that is the Shire? No mention of halflings yet, but as Lindon lies just west of the Shire, chances are we’ll be passing by Hobbiton somewhere along the way."

I'm just going to say it, no way to dress it up.
    I couldn't give a shiny sh1t about hobbits.

Just orca, elves and men hacking each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Tefral

"You can take it there’ll be lots of elves, since this was pretty much their time, but will there be any hobbits, and will we revisit the bucolic idyll that is the Shire? No mention of halflings yet, but as Lindon lies just west of the Shire, chances are we’ll be passing by Hobbiton somewhere along the way."

Hard to argue with this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/amazon-s-lord-of-the-rings-will-have-plenty-of-elves-but-will-there-be-any-hobbits-1.4457376

Apparently there's an 'intimacy coordinator' so they might be taking some leads from GoT. Or maybe it's something to do with covid...

Ah no I hope it doesn't go down that route Tolkien would be sick

"

Who needs the Dark Lord when you've got:p

674972280590494.jpg

Who needs the Dark Lord when you've got:p

674972280590494.jpg

Goddammit
    Auto correct f**ked me again

I'll see myself out

*hangs head in shame, rubs ashes on brow and dons sackcloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

There really should be no mention of Hobbits in the Second Age unless they're encountered while still living on the banks of the Anduin. The Shire itself wasn't founded until the year 1601 of the Third Age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

sounded good to me as the plural of Orc

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I wonder does that include the quarter billion Amazon paid for the rights in the first place though?
    Either way it seems like an absurd amount of money to be spending on anything. That's almost double the cost of the three LOTRs movies combined.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's INSANE money for a film, nevermind a TV show. I wonder how on earth Amazon track metrics of success for this. No doubt it'll drive traffic, and the important subscriber bump but that figure makes me wonder if this is a write off. I know Bezos has greenlit a few "passion projects" under that thinking (such as an adaptation of Iain M Banks' Culture series)

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's INSANE money for a film, nevermind a TV show. I wonder how on earth Amazon track metrics of success for this. No doubt it'll drive traffic, and the important subscriber bump but that figure makes me wonder if this is a write off. I know Bezos has greenlit a few "passion projects" under that thinking (such as an adaptation of Iain M Banks' Culture series)

That's been cancelled before it really got up and running.

• Advertisement

That's been cancelled before it really got up and running.

Shít. That's legitimately disappointing. Couldn't believe The Culture was going to get an adaptation. Ah well.

Any hint of a drop date on this?

Radio Times says this year, but I find that hard to credit given current conditions...

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/fantasy/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-release-date-amazon/

Charlotte Brändström, whose credits include episodes of The Witcher and the upcoming Jupiter’s Legacy, has signed to direct two episodes of Amazon Studios’ The Lord Of The Rings series.

Brändström joins JA Bayona and British Chinese Director Wayne Che Yip in helming the show, which is now filming in New Zealand. Set thousands of years before J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth.

Swedish-French director Brändström is an International Emmy nominee for Julie, chevalier de Maupin. Her credits also include The Man In The High Castle and Outlander.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/the-witcher-charlotte-brandstrom-amazons-the-lord-of-the-rings-series-1234755360/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

they were getting a bit of heat by saying it needs to appeal to a global audience erm funny way to spell china. They might end up with a show that while it will probably look great might be a bit watery for people that love the books and films

https://twitter.com/Nerdrotics/status/1392815058154004483

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Just reading that a stunt woman got injured on the set of this and had to set up a go fund me page to pay for her emergency brain surgery.

Lucy Lawless lead the go fund me page as the stunt woman was her double on Xena and she has worked on everything from Xena to Wonder Woman. They raised the money for the surgery to happen.

Amazon are spending the guts of half a billion on this show and a stunt woman injured on it had to have a go fund me page set up by Lucy Lawless to pay for her surgery.

Amazon really is a dirty nasty comapny.

https://twitter.com/RealLucyLawless/status/1409413352619593729?s=20

https://twitter.com/Daynastunts/status/1409637010449469448?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Just heard about that from a friend who is a huge Fury Road fangirl (where Grant was Charlize Theron's stunt double). Nothing surprises me about Amazon any more. Complete scumbags. Anyway, delighted funds were raised so quickly and hopefully she makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

It really is disgraceful that the producers and Amazon did not look after this woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Bezo might get karma in space.

Hes hurt so many people. Good riddance i say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

FFVII wrote: »
    Bezo might get karma in space.

Hes hurt so many people. Good riddance i say

I don’t agree with that kind of thing.

And do you realise the irony of that statement? You want karma to bring harm to someone who you say caused harm - by that logic karma should bring harm to you for wishing harm on some else.

That is a ridiculous attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

I don’t agree with that kind of thing.

And do you realise the irony of that statement? You want karma to bring harm to someone who you say caused harm - by that logic karma should bring harm to you for wishing harm on some else.

That is a ridiculous attitude.

Chill Jeff Karmas' not real anyways. Go shine your space helmet again.
    (Not a euphemism)

Advertisement