Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭byrne249

''Anyone else thinking this entire show is going to be one disaster after another?''

Just reached this conclusion. One aimless event after another. Usually to justify a scene the writers had in mind, not by continuing the story(god forbid there was one), but by manipulating and creating events that lead to a sensationally splendorific scene. This was most evident in ep 6, the choice of the battleground was set up to satisfy the ending sequence they had in mind, no other reason. The decision making by characters has been beyond atrocious. Motivation doesn't exist. We as the audience still do not know why the orcs are meant to be evil, and as such the audience may actually have more in common with the orcs now than anybody else. The main characters are elitest scum with no redeeming qualities except maybe Elrond. Sauron is the only character given a motive and it actually comes across as noble. They have ****** it up catastrophically.

I will say, before this started, I had hoped it would be an anthological history of middle earth with stories of Fingolfin and finarfin within the seasons leading up to the creation of the rings. Alas, it is but a cow, heavy heaving mass of sour milk trodding a trodden path with dour continence splayed in it's wake.

Also, Considering the rings are given to the 9 Kings of Men etc why have these characters not even been hinted at yet? Are they just going to conjure up nine kingdoms of men out of nowhere in the coming seasons? We all know how it ends anyway. Isildur being a spoilt brat as usual like all the rest of the elitest scum. It's actually beyond pathetic they couldn't do something new with middle earth. Rant over! :)

Edit: To be clear, I don't entirely hate it, but it should have been better. I think Xena is the archetype they were aiming for and failed. I'd argue Xena is considerably better than this too now that I think of it.

Post edited by byrne249 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Whilst a better episode one bug bear is they were fighting in pitch black night, here comes the cavalry in daytime and before you know it it's daylight everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone think that the kid (who had the artifact thing) is sauron ?

So did we see the birth of Mount Doom ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

Anyone come across a good meme for the single rope holding up Ostirith?

If there is no rings forged in Season 1, this season should be called ......

Key of Doom

But that would have spoiled the reveal.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Just finished the last 2 episodes and this show is bloody awful. Even if one subtracts oneself from Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings, etc, it remains objectively poor. There are some good elements here and there, but they are scattered over a very wide area. The Elven interactions with khazad-Dum is fine enough and the character of Adar is probably the most compelling aspect of the entire program, largely down to the acting chomps of Joseph Mawle. But, by christ, is the rest of it simply a slog, if not an outright bore.

I'm done and I just cannot waste any more time on this. If anyone is getting any entertainment out of this show then have at it but, for me, it is has to be marked down as a shocking misfire and considering the money that's been spent on it, it's almost criminal that they could bugger this up so spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

I think for sure there is an interesting conversation to be had there, that it's Lord of the Rings for people who don't care about Lord of the Rings, but I don't think we'd ever really see any mainstream sources asking the writers about that kind of thing.

Amazon seem to have spent 250 million dollars on the rights and then decided to throw everything, except for a few location and character names, directly into the trash and go ahead and do their own thing. I'd love to know the reasoning behind that.

Even if it's just as simple as the name Lord of the Rings will bring a lot of interest and viewers and money but the writers really have no interest in telling Tolkien's story at all.

It's basically an expensive name rape that's really just a generic, and dull, fantasy TV show. It has little or nothing to do with Tolkien's world/peoples or his famous work and I think it's very fair to say that it's primarily aimed at people with just a passing interest, which would be more forgivable if it was any good. As it stands, I simply cannot see this go through 5 series if the level of quality remains this bad.

Mind you, 'Z Nation' managed to drag itself through 4 years of absolute dross before someone pulled the plug, so you never know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Those 4 seasons of Z Nation probably cost less than one episode of this and Syfy could sell the show around the world to make money on it.

Perhaps, but I'm talking from a qualitative point of view. The Rings of Power may be a far more expensive show, but if it gets enough of a viewership it'll limp on, even though it's pants just like 'Z Nation' was.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It depends on whether you are talking about the original source material or the films, which don't cover this period. The film audience aren't going to largely care about the lore or question it - they'll be looking for elements from the films such as the orcs, elves, dwarves, etc. The latest episode gave them finally what they had probably been waiting for.

The reasoning is pretty much as you say - getting the viewers on board. It isn't unusual for this sort of thing, especially in films such as 'I Am Legend' (misses the whole damn point) or 'World War Z' (why even bother if you ignore the book?). People won't watch an unknown fantasy for the large part - or at least not for studios who are scared to pump money in. You can see this clearly with all the remakes and prequel series we have. It's rarer to get something always original these days, which was why I was pleased that Netflix's 'Shadow and Bone' largely delivered (IMO) despite its source material being that bit more unknown (I'd say 'Sandman', but Neil Gaiman is a very successful genre author so that was a safer bet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

At this point I think rings of power seems to be damned no matter what it does in a way. I thought episode 6 was the best of the series so far but all I've heard since is negativity about how **** the whole thing is and nitpicking things that happen in many shows like they are massive issues. (There are genuine issues too of course).

Don't get me wrong this show has a lot of problems (Galadriel being the main one for me) but I thought they played the latest episode very well. The battles and effects were very impressive IMO. Adar is a great character and an interesting twist on the uruk background. Elrond and Durin also very good. Even the whole mount Doom creation I found to be really well done and finally explained those tunnels everywhere which I originally thought were just bad story telling.

Visually and musically this is lord of the rings to me. I can't really tell how well the story will play out but i'll judge it fully when I've watched all 8 episodes. I do have issues but none that ruin it for me maybe I'm just easier pleased just to be back in middle earth.

I'm just surprised to see the excessive negativity. I just love being back in the world again even if it isn't the exact same as LOTR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Tripe, again I am amazed and just HOW BAD the dialogue is !!

Like some 1st year (bad) literature student trying to copy Tolkien.

I actually liked the stuff about Mithril origins in last weeks ep, but this stuff about Mount Doom ??? nah ... piss off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If they are willing to shift the second seasons focus onto Elrond or the Dwarves from Galadriel it would be a great sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

The production has also announced that a new character, Círdan (not yet cast), one of the oldest and wisest of the elves, would be joining the ensemble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

This is the way I'm viewing it.

I absolutely loved LOTR (grew up on Ralph Bakshi's take). Also read the hobbit as a young chap and relatively enjoyed the screen adaptation. After that I've googled some of the lore, history of Middle earth and the maps etc so know a few bits and pieces about that.

I'm definitely enjoying this take. I'm letting a few plotholes/the odd dues ex machina slide as I'm happy to be seeing orcs, elves and dwarfs again, but some here are almost insinuating that if you have more than a passing interest in middle earth you shouldn't like this. Nitpicking, I could do without the Harfoots (and some of the scenes on Numenor) but all in all it's been enjoyable, particularly how Mordor is being created and the whole 'who is Sauron/who'll become a Nazgul'. Hoping for a strong finish to the season as episode 6 has been the best of the lot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

When the creators live in the Hollywood bubble all their lives and are completely oblivious to what is relatable to the average man an woman you get scenes like this , timestamped bellow..

At least the show is being ridiculed into oblivion because if you accept mediocrity you're going to get a constant supply of mediocrity. Thankfully the majority aren't easily impressed by shooting arrows and exploding Orcs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's very bad. Galadriel has gone from annoying, to being a Karen to now being a full on genocidal maniac in a handful of episodes. Adar is one of the few sympathetic characters in this show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree about Adar. He's the best character in the show. Will we find out who is Sauron in this season?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What works with Adar is how he manages screen presence but in a low key manner. No scenery chewing needed - he can convey a lot just in his looks. He's also able to work with the dialogue he's given and doesn't make it sound nearly as pretentious as when it comes out of Galadriel's mouth.

It would be great if they had someone like David Milch doing dialogue - there was a man who knew how to spin a smart turn of phrase in 'Deadwood'. Even more recently, with 'The Great', Tony McNamara's scripts shows how you can do wit in a period piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

This started off as a rumour/leak - unconfirmed - as the show progressed though, we have seen so many hints

• his opening line of dialogue - 'looks can be deceiving'
    • 'Orcs chased him from his home' - actually now fits with Adar's version of events. Adar and the orcs loyal to him done a number on Sauron
    • his interest in forging - what business would the king (or in any case, someone of Royal Lineage) have being a metalsmith
    • His recognition of Adar - while Adar failed to recognize him - Sauron cannot ACTUALLY DIE, though he may have received a corporeal mortal blow - his spirit endures and we know he can retake any form he wishes
    • he actually stated he took the pouch from a dead man - perhaps he did!

It is undoubtedly Hallbrand - and in a show that has continued to disappoint, this will be the final nail in the coffin. He has saved both Galadriel, and Elendil from almost certain death. Which cannot be tallied with events to come.

Its a terrible show. Made frightening by the fact that so many now charge to defend it. Even this latest episode is being revered as a season high! Which in theory it was. However that is not a high enough bar to jump.

Prediction

The mask will slip some how - i would have to imagine that the southlanders, while licking their volcanic injuries, will begin to inquire with Hallbrand, and will realize he is not one of them. And then Galadriel will begin to question it.

And then he shall.... reveal himself .... and probably vanish off somewhere to prepare for season 2.

Its all so predictable. The only way it could be more predictable would be if he began winking at the audience. Or breaking the forth wall with 'little do they know' statements. Or if he begins recounting his aspirations to Galadriel.

Galadriel: What will you do now Lord Hallbrand

Hallbrand: Well, im a humble man. I want to rebuild my kingdom. Its armies, expand our influence. Iv often thought of taking up some hobbies ye know? World domination, spending some time as a giant disembodied eye staring out across my lands. Also gonna take up metallurgy! What about you Glad!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Surely to Jaysis they're not going to do Twilight-style horseshite between Galadriel & Sauron?

Like i know the writing has been abysmal so far but they can't be that stupid, can they??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Jodie Comer would have been a great pick to play Galadriel. The real Galadriel that is , not the Magua / William Wallace hybrid monster that was created by Amazon

Jodie Comer wouldn't have been any better than Morfydd Clark. It's the writing/directing that's at fault here, not the actress.

Also the violence in that scene between the Orc and Arondir, the black blood squirting out of his eye onto Arondirs face and mouth - disgusting.

Tolkien is not a world of graphic for shock violence*, and takes me out of it, it would be like having graphic sex like GoT (which I believe Bezos wanted?) - just does not belong in a Tolkien show.

[*yes yes I am aware there were heads chopped off in the PJ films, but it was quick and clean ... just like any violence in the books]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

I understand that the original Amazon Order, was effectively to make this the new Game of Thrones - Also apparently intimacy coaches were involved - so i am expecting some eh... content... along those lines

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Advertisement