Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So will this be a re telling of the LOTR films that were just made 20 years ago ? It's too soon for remakes on films that were pretty much perfect.

Also I don't like the idea of making it like Game of Thrones with violence and nudity in it - there is no need for it in LOTR.

There is nothing official staying it has violence and nudity - that topic was just mentioned by someone concerned that Amazon might be aiming for the Game of Thrones audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

odyssey06 wrote: »
    No this isnt set in the same era... almost completely different cast of characters. It is the story of how the rings of power came to be.
    Never before adapted.

There were flashbacks to the era in LOTR with Isildur.
    OK!, well that could be interesting so ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I got a lovely edition of The Silmarillion actually, might give it a read !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't read it myself but I've heard of all the JRR stuff, it's the most unreadable and dense to get through. The Ulysses of Tolkien works so to speak. Like I said haven't read it but caveat emptor anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Might be good idea to start with the last two sections, Akallabêth and Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, which cover the 'background stuff' of LOTR and AFAIK what they're going to be focusing on in the tv series. Then if that grips you go back to the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pixelburp wrote: »
    I haven't read it myself but I've heard of all the JRR stuff, it's the most unreadable and dense to get through. The Ulysses of Tolkien works so to speak. Like I said haven't read it but caveat emptor anyway :D

More like the Old Testament ... I have read it and parts of it are very good eg the Fall of Gondolin.

But especially for the more episodic / biblical earlier parts I had to write out a cheat sheet of gods characters and who begat whom.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

odyssey06 wrote: »
    But especially for the more episodic / biblical earlier parts I had to write out a cheat sheet of gods characters and who begat whom.

I could have done with that watching the Mare of Easttown :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Might be good idea to start with the last two sections, Akallabêth and Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, which cover the 'background stuff' of LOTR and AFAIK what they're going to be focusing on in the tv series. Then if that grips you go back to the start.

I thought the show is about the Second Age?

And in a few posts people have said that the Sillmarilion is the source for the series and seem to say that it is the only other Middle-Earth publication but Tolkien’s son has written several history of Middle-Earth books using Tolkien’s notes that he created when creating the world.

Aren’t these relevant to the series? And I assume the producers and writers have access to all Tolkien’s writings in Middle-Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Very hard going, don't know about anyone else but found myself having to reread parts to understand it.

I thought the show is about the Second Age?

If it runs five seasons as promised I suspect it'll run right up to the start of The Hobbit. Anyway it's kind of one continuous story from the start of the second age anyway, will make more sense for someone who has read/watched LOTR to read that whole bit through.

• Advertisement

If it runs five seasons as promised I suspect it'll run right up to the start of The Hobbit. Anyway it's kind of one continuous story from the start of the second age anyway, will make more sense for someone who has read/watched LOTR to read that whole bit through.

I thought the official word on the show was that it takes place several thousand years before the Hobbit. And I assumed the series would follow one set of heroes and villains.

Is that wrong or are you expecting the five seasons to cover key events in that several thousand years with changing characters, etc. ?

I thought the official word on the show was that it takes place several thousand years before the Hobbit. And I assumed the series would follow one set of heroes and villains.

Is that wrong or are you expecting the five seasons to cover key events in that several thousand years with changing characters, etc. ?

Seems you're right
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/aug/09/amazons-new-lord-of-the-rings-cannot-use-much-of-tolkiens-plot
    Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey, who is supervising the show’s development, told German fansite Deutsche Tolkien that the estate has refused to allow the series to be set during any period other than the Second Age of Middle-earth. This means Amazon’s adaptation will not cross over at all with events from the Third Age

I reckon they'll have to do a lot of 'extrapolation' to get five full series out of the Second Age...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Many of those characters would remain the same even if the series spanned the whole 3000 odd years of the Second Age. Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond, Gil-Galad and of course Sauron are there throughout the age. Elendil was 322 when he was killed by Sauron and other Numenoreans were just as long lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just as long as they don't destroy it like other great fantasy series that came to the small screen, Shannara and the sword of truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Skerries wrote: »
    just as long as they don't destroy it like other great fantasy series that came to the small screen, Shannara and the sword of truth

Neither of those other two you refer to are great fantasy series. You could argue fir the first few Brooks books but Goodkind’s stuff is terrible.

This series will have more of a budget that those other two so I think the quality will be much higher.

Skerries wrote: »

I’ve never read those books but the Shannara tv show was weak. I did like Legend of the Seeker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm waiting on Netflix's Chronicles of Narnia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

CastorTroy wrote: »

**** that.

I'm still waiting on Part 2 of Ralph Bakshi's animated Lord of the Rings... I need my hit of rotoscoping.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Any word yet on when shooting begins?

I am wary of getting too excited about it in case they cancel it :p

Any word yet on when shooting begins?

I am wary of getting too excited about it in case they cancel it :p

No real news from what I see
    https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-chronicles-of-narnia-on-netflix-what-we-know-so-far-04-2021/

Had its 70the anniversary last year so would've been a good time to announce something

• Advertisement

No real news from what I see
    https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-chronicles-of-narnia-on-netflix-what-we-know-so-far-04-2021/

Had its 70the anniversary last year so would've been a good time to announce something

Apparently Netflix wanted boobs and blood for their live action Last Airbender series.

They probably thought they could do the same with Narnia.

If, and I repeat IF, it is true that the stuntwoman Cadwell received $500,000 because of an injury on then this makes the producers and Amazon look even worse for not helping Dayne Grant with money for her surgery.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

If, and I repeat IF, it is true that the stuntwoman Cadwell received $500,000 because of an injury on then this makes the producers and Amazon look even worse for not helping Dayne Grant with money for her surgery.

Reading that article, it seems like the reason she needs surgery is unrelated to the on-set injury.

fitz wrote: »
    Reading that article, it seems like the reason she needs surgery is unrelated to the on-set injury.

The article seems to be very much suggesting that Grant’s injury was from the Amazon series and incorrectly diagnosed at the time.

EDIT: in fact it isn’t suggesting that - it is saying it outright.

I never understand when they say things like "in compliance with standards". It's like saying "We did the bare minimum to get approved according to regulations possibly written decades ago"

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

I love how this is continuously referred to as "Lord of the Rings" when it will have very little to do with the Lord of the Rings story.

With they would just call it "Amazon's Middle Earth" or whatever.
    Are things like clickbait articles at the bottom of news sites or fake thumbnails on Youtube videos so good at driving traffic that this is now a tactic for half a billion dollar TV productions?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

The article seems to be very much suggesting that Grant’s injury was from the Amazon series and incorrectly diagnosed at the time.

EDIT: in fact it isn’t suggesting that - it is saying it outright.

It's not. It says one thing happened, followed by another. Nothing about them being linked and there's even further detail about other medical clearances for other projects in between. Nowhere does it state there was an incorrect or missed diagnosis...this smacks of clickbait "big bad studio" bashing tbh.

fitz wrote: »
    It's not. It says one thing happened, followed by another. Nothing about them being linked and there's even further detail about other medical clearances for other projects in between. Nowhere does it state there was an incorrect or missed diagnosis...this smacks of clickbait "big bad studio" bashing tbh.

Everything on the Internet is click bait.

And the article is saying “that” - it the article isn’t pointing the finger at Amazon then why are you calling the whole think clickbait studio bashing?

As I said in my previous post, I’m not saying the article is correct, I’m simply saying that it is saying that Grant’s injury was received on the set of the Amazon series. The very presence of the Grant story in this article is an accusation - otherwise it would either not have used it or said outright it is not known whether the surgery was a result if that injury.

• Advertisement

A good sign IMO, seems to show they are treating the show as a coherent five-season project, rather than frontloading the good stuff into the first season to make sure they get renewed.

Advertisement