Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The power of the IP I'd say: could see a different, maybe lesser franchise doing what you suggest and adding as many cliffhangers and eyebrow wiggles as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Apparently Lenny Henry is playing a Harfoot

Some Halflings are dark skin precursors to Shire-hobbits quite possibly “one of three somewhat different breeds” maybe Harfoots; [described by Tolkien in the Prologue to LOTR ‘Concerning Hobbits’ pg. 12: “they were browner of skin,” and also “they moved westward early,” 

Not sure it what Professor T had in mind but should be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I think we can be fairly sure that when he says the Harfoots had browner skin he did not mean that they were black.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 1 wrapped filming today and Amazon announced the series will debut on Friday 2nd of September 2022 with episodes released weekly.

First look picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jaysus still more than a year out but, yeah. Makes sense I guess given this will probably need a lot of post-production.

• Advertisement

Suggestion here that the picture is of Valinor in the First Age and is therefore from some sort of flashback or prologue.

https://winteriscoming.net/2021/08/02/see-first-image-amazon-lord-of-the-rings-show-sauron-numenor/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

They are definitely the Two Trees, Laurelin and Telperion, in the background which makes that the city of Valimar in the pic.

Really looking forward to exploring this age of Middle-earth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The second season will be filmed in the UK and all the sets will be shipped from New Zealand to the UK.

Amazon really does burn money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Read that this morning. My God. They must be getting some SERIOUS tax incentives to do that.

• Advertisement

Has to be a tax reason; I imagine the New Zealand film industry is fairly irate about this news though. Justified or not, NZ had become the unofficial home of all things Lord of the Rings; they even re-jigged their tax code, or employment laws IIRC, the last time there was a threat of a shoot (The Hobbit) not coming to the country. I'd not be surprised if Ardern takes some flack for this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't think it is taxes causing the move. Probably covid related. New Zealand's strict entry rules due to covid probably makes filming a show and getting cast and crew in a pain. The UK is probably a lot easier than that especially if a lot of the cast and crew are already in Britain.

Oh yeah, true. The UK has been very busy with film shoots lately, think there has been at least 4 major Hollywood productions there in the last few months alone. Intellectually it makes no difference where they shoot but emotionally it does feel weird reading of Lord of the Rings not shooting in NZ. And as Colsoun remarked, says how much money Amazon has they can pull this stunt. Shame there's no spare dosh for those warehouse workers *yesIwentthereshutup*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

would viewers notice? , Im sure you find similar enough spots in the Lake District or Scotland just different and lighting might not be the same

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Most viewers? No; but like I said to some - IE, me - Lord of the Rings on 'de telly is now linked with New Zealand and its landscape. A landscape that's sometimes hard to mistake. Sweet Tooth was shot in NEw Zealand and it was only when I saw it in the credits the penny dropped why the external scenes in "America" looked ... wrong, but familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The article does give some reasons like how cast and crew haven't been able to go home to set their families due to New Zealand's strict lockdown. And having access to multiple locations throughout Europe like GoT did. I'm sure location scouting is easier for the films as have a certain number of scenes but for an ongoing series they would probably want to have more options. Of course the weather won't be as good.

I can often spot indoor office scenes that are supposed to be the US but filmed in Britain even if the actors are all American. It will be interesting to watch out for.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

depending on their scheduling, they might be saving themselves 6 months catching a Northern hemisphere summer, cant be the reason for it but might have fed into their decision making?

Not related to foreign shoots, but for me there's often no mistaking that same "generic US corner-street of a city" used everywhere. Always pops up during Brooklyn Nine-Nine for one, dozens other sitcoms needing a quick and easy outdoor scene.

But surely most of those restrictions will be lifted this year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe, maybe not. They will be in place until early next year at least. It could be longer depending on new variants, vaccination roll out in New Zealand (it is pretty poor in Australia going by a friend of mine living there) and who knows what else. So you have a huge production that was already delayed at probably huge cost due to covid and you can't guarantee it won't happen when you start filming for the next season. I can see why they would want to reduce that risk by moving production to somewhere that is likely to have a lot less travel restrictions over the next few months to a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I dunno I always linked Peter Jackson films with NZ think he's only done one or two outside of there afaik but even with him not at the helm I imagine shooting there initially was certainly due to the feelings described.

Pretty sure Amazon just wrapped up season 2 of the Wilds there but a chunk of the cast and crew are from that part of the world.

This article summarises the reasons

The surprise move is motivated by a number of factors, among them COVID concerns, Amazon's ever-expanding footprint in the UK, the desire for actors to be closer to home for the long-haul production schedule, and a desire to expand the geographical scope of the series beyond New Zealand.

Still struggle to see how all that justifies the hassle of upping sticks, but I guess if you've got Amazon's money...

Think that's the long and short of it. Amazon have absolutely no limits or ceilings to its intent; heck does any show make or lose money? Cos presumably Amazon simply has enough actual cash that Prime Video is a wheeze to them - a side gig unlike Netflix, whose streaming is the only breadwinner.

Heck they have the bandwidth to make not just one famous High Fantasy series, but two! This and Wheel of Time both in production.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Genuine question - why is there a spoiler warning in the thread title when the show is over a year away from screening and the story has been canon for almost seventy years anyway???

It might be canon but many viewers, including myself, will be coming to the series having only watched the films (or their associated books). The mythology of Tolkien is extensive and given the Second Age upon which the show is created will be a mystery to most - seems fair the minutiae of the written myth stay spoilered.

Similarly applies with any adapted work TBH. Its just especially with something this prescribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wonder will Northern Ireland host any shoots? You’d imagine a fair amount of infrastructure and expertise was built up around GoT over the years.

Amazon are in talks with Howard Shore to write the score for the series,

He won 3 Oscars for his scores of the LOTR films.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But will they have Enya?

• Advertisement

Doesn't it just invite more comparison with the movies though? Unless they're actually going to stay stylistically parallel with the Lotr movies of course ...

Advertisement