Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭liamtech

I know you are a moderator - and i have thus far never been in trouble on boards (to my knowlegde) - I am being respectful

However - You make a grandiose claim previously - I call on you to provide evidence, in a respectful way

You respond telling me to look at Quarterings Channel

So, yes i will just go look at 5112 videos and find the moment Quartering is misogynistic - You effectively say the same about drinker so, il just go look at the hundreds of videos he has uploaded, across his two channels.

Just to clarify, this is not how the game works. If you say X is true. And i say, prove it. The Burden of proof, is on you to demonstrate, that X, is in fact, true. Telling me it is, assuring me it is, and pointing me in the general direction of a library (confidently telling me the truth is in there, in a highly nonspecific way) - ??? No - thats not how it works

Remaining respectful but firm in my convictions and criticism - i shall respond with Hitchens Razor

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well posting those dirge "reviews" does nothing for discussion outside of its own echo chamber comment sections.

Those "reviews" could be auto-scripted by an average bot with 90% accuracy.

Those moany gits have needed new material after their first dozen videos. But their loyal fans somehow keep buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Haven't watched the show but I'd almost suspect this guy hasn't either he says in the first line that persons of his kind were ready to give 1 star reviews after seeing what...3-4 mins of preview footage?

His rant is well off the mark, aggregator websites can sure have their detractors but their purpose is to give a ballpark of what people think having viewed. Eliminating suspect reviews is hardly poor practice when trying to determine accuracy which for the likes of this is always bound to be a very tricky task.

The guy can't wait any little while though he believes the general consensus is it's rubbish and he wants that displayed immediately despite the fact 6 hours? 3/4 of the piece? hasn't even aired yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

For some odd reason such sites tend to only remove negative reviews however (incl. Youtube etc.) and RT is still at 39% after 20k user reviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not a moderator on this forum, just another poster :) I respect you being respectful too - I always endeavour to be friendly and non-personal in my discussions with other posters.

In The Quartering's case, the channel is the proof I offer. You don't need to watch a minute of his videos (and I wouldn't recommend it, as they're inane nonsense) - just scroll down through the recent thumbnails and video titles and you can see this is a fellow with deep-rooted issues against women and minorities. The topics and targets he picks are all the proof needed.

I will do my best to dig up the previous video from The Critical Drinker I watched. Alas, the search function on this website makes such things difficult!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How they handle Sauron will be what decides its fate I reckon.

If they do some wonky romantic heart-throb or anti-hero stuff it'll be the final nail in its coffin.

It has been covered quite extensively by several Youtube Reviewers Toxic Misogynistic Youtube Propagandists that

• IMDB (owned by Amazon) is screening its reviews - there is only 80 odd reviews listed on LOTR-TROP - which is impossible to believe - also its star rating is continuing to rise from a low level
    • Rotten Tomatos is an enigma to me - most of the comments are negative yet it is rising there too, slow but surely
    • Criticism by us lowly fans is being conflated with Toxic Fandom, Racism, Bigotry, and misogynism
    • Amazon has disabled the ability of Amazon users to Rate the show
    • Several have also highlighted that when you watch anything else on Amazon - the moment the show ends, it will immediately bring you to LOTR-TROP and begin the first episode - this is being speculated as a way of boosting watch figures

Nothing is genuine, aside from what you actually think when you watch it - i gave it 3/10 for eps 1 & 2 some posts back - i hope it improves but i cannot see it happening. And the censorship of fans (coupled with accusations above) - that disgusts me altogether

on the IMDB issue - here it is as of now

so - wait and see - also seems several reviews removed as it was 80 yesterday - no way to prove as i didnt screengrab - star rating was 5 at one stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,293 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well if your going to throwing sad shte like "Mary Sue" around everytime a woman kills the bad guy then people are gonna keep thinking your sexist.

A man had to save her from drowning. How does that fit into your Mary Sue thing ?

Is he super Mary Sue cause he saved Mary Sue ?

• Thought the first 2 eps were decent. Visually it looks amazing so I'm going to keep watching.

I'de agree there. If the rumour that he is the guy on the boat is true I'll be giving up.

I still think it's the so far unseen "Eminem" character though which is another strong rumour out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

We're two episodes in and this nonsense is cropping up.

Time to bow out of this thread and all online reviews and opinions. I'm just going to watch this and enjoy it. Sometimes it's good to be ignorant of the canon and backstories

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I liked the first two episodes, I read the books and loved the movies when I was a teenager but I find those movies unwatchable these days. And The Hobbit ones are worse.

These first two episodes were enjoyable, visuals were lovely and the pacing was good.

I remember back when the trailer came out many people losing it about unbearded dwarf women and black people so I stopped paying attention. Hopefully now after seeing it those people can chill out.

Looking forward to where they go with it, and very curious about who this oul fella is. Radegast? One of the blue wizards? Or Sauron himself?

i appreicate your words - i am genuinely being respectful but i find some of the backlash against backlashes quite tiring - that said im here, and contributing to it!

I think we have a genuine difference of opinion here. I have not watched much of Quarterings material - mainly drinker, nerdrotic myself - but i do know quartering from - and i think a suggestion that he is a misogynist - is erroneous. He is at worst right wing, and a conservative

As for his thumbnails - again not seeing it - iv watched a few of his short clips where he attacks obvious woke, ultra left wing SJW people - As a left winger myself i am often conflicted - While i am seriously left wing, i hate what the left has become

This is a segway

• Brexit is destroying our nearest neighbor, with whom we share a land border.
    • thanks to the incoming UKPM, the destruction will probably damage Ireland
    • Ireland has a properly right wing coalition for the first time in generations
    • America is being consumed by culture war with the rise of Trumpism, and Tea-party-esque MTG type politicians
    • Trump may win the next election
    • There is an ACTUAL LAND WAR IN EUROPE

Meanwhile - the left is very concerned! (as it should be) - what are they concerned about though?

• People should put their pronouns on their twitter BIO or else they are transphobic
    • JK Rowling should be excised from the franchise she created because her opinion differs from ours
    • Anyone who disagrees with us on twitter needs to be cancelled - anyone who disagrees with this, needs to be cancelled -
    • Fandoms filled with Toxic white men are ruining entertainment and criticize when we OH SO AWKWARDLY correct their patriarchal TV shows
    • BLM should be allowed to riot because they totally deserve it, and nothing bad will come of said rioting. Absolutely nothing, trust us (will there not be a backlash on the right that will totally undermine the cause of social democracy) - NO - ye bloody RACIST..
    • every white person in the world should feel guilty and if they dont, they are racists

So - yea, i am conflicted to see a right winger attack the above. Cause i am technically on the same side as these people. And i am Liberal. I treat trans men and women with respect. i am not racist, nor am i misogynist - but i am about free speech too - Freedom is how free your opponent is. And the cause of SJW Politics (wanting to burn books, censor, and cancel/destroy livelihoods) - this happened before - and it is NOT LEFTWING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

I have no issue with her killing the troll, i have issue with how quick and easy she kills the troll.... on her own... within 10 seconds..

And yeah, on the getting saved, well, she was tuckered out from swimming across an ocean 😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, technically it wasn't on her own either, as one of her teammates gives her a lift using his sword ;)

TBH, the scene was very similar to Legalos vs the war elephant in LotR. The Galadriel scene is shorter for sure, but in line with what we've seen elven warriors manage before.

Did you see how many orcs Legolas took out at close quarters with a bow in Helms Deep while elf's were dropping all round him.

Is Legolas a Mary Sue ?

Edit:snap

I would admit Legolas was over the top - although i liked how when he walked on snow, he left no footprints - that was very Tolkien from TFOTR Book 2 - they sadly left that out of the Rings of Power - wouldnt criticize them for it though- that would be nitpicking

But yea he was WAY OTT in LOTR Trilogy, and his inclusion in the Hobbit felt forced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Yes, legolas was a Gary Stu.

His surfing down castle steps on a shield and all the rest were low points in those movies. I saw those movies in school with all my school mates and nobody cared that much for legolas.

The idea that not liking a character on screen means you don't like millions of real people who share that make believe persons gender is obviously total horse manure.

It also says the inverse is true which is any woman should like a woman character by virtue of them being a woman. Obviously more nonsense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah he kinda is, though he has more style 😆 and shooting orcs in the head with a bow is different than taking down a large troll. Id be more annoyed at how he never runs out of arrows 😜

Johnny had a better example with the Elephant, but id say prior to that, all of his fighting just fell under the category of skilled elven archer. Plus the elephant was the cherry on the top to conclude the big epic battle to finish off the trilogy. Twas fitting.. no?

• Advertisement

I think it depends on the level of the characteristics necessary for us to call him a Mary Sue

• Legolas: an elf. Fast and agile (as written by the author) - completes crazy moves during battle - unrealistic - kinda Mary Sue -esque 5/10
    • Michael Burnham: Spocks Sister (who was never mentioned previously) - effects events of galactic significance in 2 universes - is the only one that can save the federation in both the 23rd and 31st century - the most perfect of all starfleet officers - the one, the only, space jesus - 10/10
    • Rey: With no training defeats Kylo Ren in Episode 7 - with sod all training, manages to survive episode 8 - develops force abilities (healing and teleportation) that we have never seen before - and using 2 lightsabers destroys EVERY SITH LORD WHO EVER LIVED CURRENTLY EMBODYING DARTH SIDIOUS (the single greatest Sith who ever lived) - then takes the Skywalker name - because.... 1075/10

So - maybe they are all Mary Sue's - by degree they differ IMHO

The bit that got me is as the orcs get over the wall he is still using the bow to shoot orcs point blank like it's a revolver.

Thing about Legolas is people laugh it off and say it was a silly part of a great movie but now it's ALL CAPS screaming and raging on YouTube about Tolkien DESTROYED canon RUINED bla bla blaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think him and Gimli having a competition to see how many Orcs they could kill was the worst part of the original trilogy. Most heroes in action movies have elements of Gary Stu about them but I suspect they wouldnt have had Aragorn doing the surfing on orcs part in the same movie as he was the serious main character.

I've found the House of Dragon not too bad after being savaged by the same online critics that piled onto the Rings of Power, so hope they are wrong about this show too.

Hate just sells better on youtube unfortunately. I see even Elon Musk is getting in on the act, never a man to miss an opportunity.

Legolas was written as a warrior - having him be a mary sue esque warrior, and completing tasks that are impossible is one thing - its silly but fine

Galdriel is the Lady of Lorien - bearer of a great Elvish ring, which she uses to preserve her kingdom - she inspires great courage, and stands against evil. She turns down the Ring of Power due to her inherent virtue - having her running around in body armor, screaming for vengeance at all costs is literary vandalism - they have taken someone angelic and virtuous and turned her into Red Sonja

All they had to do, was create a new female character, specifically for the show, - and none of this criticism would have merit - it wouldnt be happening at all - this new character could have been linked to Galadriel. A childhood friend, who wishes to fight evil, and is encouraged by galadriel -

It would have worked perfectly - but they bought the rights to the material - they are doing what they want and **** anyone who criticizes - we are all 'toxic'

Then you would not care it it was called "Owner of the Jewlery"

I never get this, people coming into extablished IPs and complaining that existing fans are upset about showrunners gutting the material. The only reason you have a show to watch is because of the books and the fans of such etc.

This isn't gatekeeping but there is a difference from trying to make a Tolkien show and failing Vs rewriting characters and lore so much that it conflicts with decades of knowledge.

If they shot for the stars on an adaption and failed, well crap.

As it is they are telling their own story, in conflict with existing lore, and calling everyone who dislikes it a Troll/Bigot/Sexist. The exact same as they did with Discovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@johnny_ultimate

But again, there's more to the character than just this 30 seconds or so. Indeed, the whole sequence shows how she has become so obsessed and fanatical about her quest that she puts her own team in danger and therefore loses their trust - a notable character flaw from the off. She's right about her cause, but she has failed to convince others due to her blind determination and quest for revenge.

Perhaps the better way of writing that scene is if somebody else had to kill the snowman instead of Galadriel and show, clearly, that her obsession was at odds with her leadership which was putting "her own team in danger". The way it plays out is just another tired and cliched effort at making someone do something pretty effortlessly to appeal to "kewl" and "awesome" chanters in the audience. It also makes her team look like they just don't want to follow her cos reasons. Their case should have been stated far more strenuously, because as that scene plays out, they're the ones that come off somewhat unreasonable because Galadriel has to be "right". I'll admit, I rolled my eyes when she did her flashy moves and took out Mr. Troll without breaking a sweat, while all the blokes just stood there like gormless fools.

In any case there is a definite problem with movies and shows these days where main characters have to be like a Schwarzenegger, were every physical task ahead of them is handled with simplistic ease and enemies are dispatched with a few moves. Where failures are minor and successes are so over the top that one has to just ignore the silliness of them if they're to get anything out of what they're viewing at all.

It just comes down to lazy writing and far to many of these tent pole IPs suffer badly from that.

But I'd say to all the whingers dying to use "woke" in every bloody topic, they'd do well to remember that Galadriel has to be saved by some bloke she just met in episode 2 when she makes a balls of it on the raft and nearly ends up drowning because she's acting like a bossy arse.

And people called them out as being mandatory "Cool Legolas Moments". They were over the top and forced and people did acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Could Galadrials Legolas level power set so far, be down to a rights issue I wonder. I read earlier in the thread that the rights they have for this period of middle earth history is patchy at best. Could it be that they would copyright infringe if they have her display any of the powers she displays in the books they don't have the rights too , like the Simarilion. And it's that and not any desire to turn her into Xena Warrior princess that has them putting a sword in her hand.

Just a thought .

That Legolas scene in Lord of the Rings is absolutely absurd. It's one of the prime examples of CGI allowing directors to indulge in their more stupid ideas.

• Advertisement

"She turns down the Ring of Power due to her inherent virtue - having her running around in body armor, screaming for vengeance at all costs is literary vandalism"

Yeah, by the 2nd Age (when this is set) it's against character.

She was an arogant piece of work in the 1st Age though and would definitely have failed that test.

Still never presented as a warrior, mind

All the Robin Hoods and Excaliburs I have seen are different. Plenty of versions of Romeo & Juliet out there too. Bond has changed with every actor.

It can be good or bad as a faithful adaptation also can be good or bad as a wild adaptation. There is no set rule as to what makes it good.

As i understand it, they have rights to the Lord of the Rings books, and thats it - so

• The Fellowship of the Ring
    • The Two Towers
    • The Return of the King
    • Notes Appendix

Having decided not to just Re-Do the trilogy, they have decided to do 'the second age' of Middle Earth - which is mentioned a few times in the main books, but is covered in notes in the Appendix - If that is all you have to go on - then Galadriel is

• Lady of Lorien
    • Wielder of an Elvish Ring
    • Married to Celeborne since the first age (curiously absent from the show)
    • Powerful in Elvish Magic
    • Inspiring of great courage, and virtue
    • Member of White Council

So, yea thats it - so this Warrior Galadriel is a fabrication of the show runners -

You would have to admit though (you won't) that the reaction and vitriol is different.

BTW many people who don't like Disco including myself don't get called sexist. Just the ones bang on about "beta cucks" and Mary Sue.

there is no strict canon on Robin Hood - its a legend - as is Excalibur - thats why every one is entirely different

@Sudden Valley

Hate just sells better on youtube unfortunately.

The problem with YouTube is that you're appealing to certain people for clicks and therefore money. I wouldn't buy into anything these YouTubers have to say. They know their audience and they'll tailor their reviews/opinions thusly.

I think the only ones I'd semi-regularly pay any attention to would be the "talentless hacks" on Red Letter Media, even if I don't always share their conclusions.

Thing is, YouTube is all about monetising your videos these days and if you find an audience that will tip you, you're not going to piss them off.

• Advertisement

The elephant scene is floaty, weightless CG action at its absolute worst... but I do always laugh at Gimli's response afterward.

Well, I say worst... The Hobbit found new nadirs.

There are films inspired by Shakespeare but are not presented as such.

10 Things I Hate About You is a retelling of Taming Of The Shrew. It doesn't proclaim itself to be it though. Nor were critics, who did not like it, attacked for saying so.

Bond was pulp, just like Bourne.

Rings is not an adaption. It's retconning characters and events to suit the tale they want to tell.

It wouldn't be drawing half as much ire, imho, if the main character was not Galadriel. Have her as an unknown "unlikely hero" and would have worked better

@liamtech

Galdriel is the Lady of Lorien - bearer of a great Elvish ring, which she uses to preserve her kingdom - she inspires great courage, and stands against evil. She turns down the Ring of Power due to her inherent virtue - having her running around in body armor, screaming for vengeance at all costs is literary vandalism - they have taken someone angelic and virtuous and turned her into Red Sonja

That's the Third Age. We have no real idea what she was up to 5000 years before that and neither did Tolkien either because he never really fleshed it out much. Elves live a long time. Who knows what 5000 years does to one of them?

That doesn't mean that Galadriel couldn't have been written better, or at least better than what we've seen so far, which has been precious little in fairness.

The reaction is different because the net is far more wide spread. The studio went on the offensive early on attacking anyone voicing concern. Nice ad hominem twist with the "you won't" too.

Legolas had his first silly moment halfway through the 2nd film. Not at the start.

He also was not the main character. If Sam had done this, there would have been.

Jackson's films have many flaws. Legolas moments, Gimli overly comic relief, Faramir not great, Ents not deciding to fight, and many other BUT the stayed close to Tolkien's vision.

Hell they bloody merged Glorfindel into Arwen to give Tyler screen time. No massive outcry there, which you have to admit weakens your argument about outcry regarding Legolas (you won't...)

With respect we do know much of Galadriel during the second age

At the beginning of the Second Age, Celeborn and Galadriel dwelt for a time in Lindon, south of the Lune, while Gil-galad ruled in the north.[27] Both left Lindon before the years 10-20, when Gil-galad became king in that land, apparently thanks to her influence.[28] They entered Eriador and dwelt for a while around Lake Nenuial, being followed by many Noldor, Grey-elves and Green-elves. They were considered the Lord and Lady of the Eldar in Eriador.[29]:234 Probably around S.A. 300,[note 3] Galadriel and Celeborn had a daughter: Celebrían.[16]

Circa the year 500Sauron began to stir in Middle-earth again,[27] but his name was not known. He was, however, perceived by Galadriel, who noticed there was a controlling evil, and that it was spreading above the world, coming from the East beyond the Misty Mountains. She also thought this 'residue of evil' could only be fought with an alliance of all its enemies. Therefore, she and Celeborn moved eastwards and established the realm of Eregion near Khazad-dûm. Celeborn was not fond of Dwarves, but she saw the importance of getting close to them, for she saw military interests even with them. Also, she was a Noldo, and therefore close to them in mind and in the passion for crafts; and in Valinor she had learned from Yavanna and Aulë, the creator of the Dwarves himself.[29]:235

Some Noldor were also interested in establishing a realm near Khazad-dûm because they knew mithril had been discovered there. Therefore, many Elven-smiths came to Eregion and created good relations with the Dwarves. Celebrimbor, a descendant of Fëanor (and therefore a distant cousin of Galadriel), was the greatest of the craft-men and the Lord of Eregion.[27] He was its main builder and in 750 Ost-in-Edhil, the main city of the realm, was begun. The power of Galadriel and Celeborn also grew: thanks to the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm, they had contact with the Nandorin realm of Lórinand, on the other side of the Misty Mountains. Thanks to Galadriel's influence upon Lórinand, Sauron's machinations there were fruitless.[29]:236 She also got in contact with Númenor, having a meeting with King Aldarion when he came to Tharbad around 883-884.[30]

About the year 1200, Sauron came in disguise to Eriador, but he was only welcomed in Eregion by Celebrimbor and the Elven-smiths, who were interested in his advice on craftsmanship.[29]:236 Galadriel was not deceived, and rejected him, saying that he was not in the training of Aulë as he claimed.[31] "He perceived at once that Galadriel would be his chief adversary and obstacle, and he endeavoured therefore to placate her, bearing her scorn with outward patience and courtesy". At the same time, without her knowledge, Sauron influenced Celebrimbor and his Gwaith-i-Mírdain against Galadriel and Celeborn. Finally, he moved them to rebellion and they seized the power of Eregion at some time between 1350 and 1400. Thus, Galadriel and Celebrían left through Khazad-dûm to Lórinand, although Celeborn would not enter the Dwarvish realm and remained in Eregion.[29]:23

When Sauron made the One Ring in S.A. 1600, his treachery was discovered by Celebrimbor.[27] The elven-smith came to Lórinand, seeking counsel from Galadriel. They did not find the strength to destroy the Rings of Power, but she advised him to hide the Three Rings of the Elves where Sauron could not find them. Therefore he gave her Nenya, the White Ring, and the other Rings were given to other Elven lords.[29]:237 This was done in 1693, the same year Sauron began the war against the Elves.[27]

With the invasion of Eriador, Eregion was destroyed and Celebrimbor killed. Despite using torture, Sauron could not learn from him where the Elven Rings were, but suspected they were kept by Galadriel and Gil-galad.[29]:238 But thanks to the military intervention of Númenor, Sauron was defeated in 1700.[27] Soon afterwards, Galadriel was affected by sea-longing, and she decided to leave Lórinand and dwell beside the sea.[29]:240 As one of the High-elves, her yearning for the sea was unavoidable, and now she became burdened with the desire to cross to the Blessed Realm, but the ban upon her impeded it.[12] Thus she did not go to the sea yet, but crossed west of the mountains through Khazad-dûm with Celebrían. Seeking Celeborn, they travelled to Imladris, a refuge created by Elrond during the war. Once there, a Council was held, in which it was decided that Imladris would be the Elvish stronghold in the East, rather than the desolate Eregion.[29]:239-40

Galadriel, Celeborn and Celebrían dwelt a long time in Imladris, but at some point they left and moved near the sea, to Belfalas, at the place later known as Dol Amroth. There were few inhabitants there, but they were visited by Nandorin companies.[29]:238 Apparently, they returned to Lórien twice before the Last Alliance and the end of the Second Age.[32]

From Tolkiengate

• Advertisement

That's really not that much and it leaves out centuries. Who knows what the hell she or anyone else was up to.

Well we will agree to disagree then - there is a lot there, along with her HUSBAND who has been excised (to give Galadriel female agency, down with the patriarchy) for unknown reasons. But in any case, she is the lady of Lorien. Certainly powerful and influential -

No where in the writings of Tolkien does she

• Wear body armor
    • Lead Soldiers
    • Is out for Vengence
    • was 'ordered' back to Valinor (no one was ordered back to valinor btw)

To be fair it does paint her as a mover of events and influencers of greater alliances, as opposed to plucky disobedient warrior...

In any one of the large gaps of hundreds of years, she could have done all of those things.

Its confirmed that IMDB have literally removed every review with less than 6 stars - there were lots of 1star reviews for TROP - but in a move which is literally right out of Orwell - they have been deleted

BTW Quartering has reported it - as have Midnights edge - but go look yourself! Ask yourself what kind of company would do this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes; and she could have invented plasma guns and gone hunting in space for aliens as Master Chief as well using the same argument and it's about as good of a fit as well.

This is the problem with Tolkien's writings outside of the main works though. They are merely vague sketches. VERY vague sketches. Nowhere does it say that she never led an army (or even a squad), or that she never wore armour, or that she just sat on her arse in Lothlorian (or wherever) for thousands of years.

There's, literally, hundreds of years missing in the paragraphs in Liamtech's post, where anything could have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think it started with Gamergate as the games journalists were too close to the Gaming companies and could be accused as being biased, so people started flocking to independent youtuber reviewers. You see so many youtube videos critical of gaming companies and I think that sort of negativity has seeped into movie reviewing on the site. If a reviewer mentions wokeness or not enough diversity in casting in a movie review I just ignore it. The entertainment value in the plot and acting is what should be called out.

🙄

What would be more likely though. That she wore a suit of Elvish armour for a brief period or went to space.

Let's see, 1200 - 5000+ years old (depending on when you want to place it in the age as well as the duration of the years before first age), one of the mightiest magic casters (I can't think of any actually wearing armor who had magic powers but not a topic I spent great time looking up) taugh by Valas in the world able to keep a whole kingdom safe using said powers for thousands of years. Considered one of the most intelligent and fair leaders vs. running around playing soldier cutting things down, picking fights with her followers and other leaders and jumping off swords to show her followers that she's always the bestets. Yea, can't see any disparity between the two characters at all, must have been her rebellious 2000 year stage or something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement