Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Junior Cert Maths Common Level Assessment

Options
  • 13-11-2017 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I've only just looked up JCT.ie Maths assessment plans. From what I can see it will be a 2 hour common level paper. If this is their plans this is a disaster for the future of Maths standards when students are heading towards their leaving cert. I do hope I've just read it wrong!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Pretty sure Irish, English and Maths will have two levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

So did I until tonight when I looked up JCT.ie assessment for subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Can you link to where you're seeing this? I've just checked and see nothing at all about Maths. TUI says the consultation on the new specification is due to start soon but there's nothing published yet. We have our cluster CPD in a few weeks and were told they currently have nothing ready for it.

The loss of Foundation Level will already be huge for my students so moving to common level would just be a complete disaster.

https://www.jct.ie/maths/assessment to be more precise. I have to assume its an error on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I thought a link cropped up for me somewhere last week 're the consultation process being opened and I had a look at the specification but held off commenting till I asked for more insightful thoughts here and amongst colleagues. Cannot for the life if me find the link now though. Maybe I dreamed it? I have tried searching for the specification but a basic search doesn't bring it up - how do they expect parents etc to be able to do this too?

• Advertisement

https://www.jct.ie/home/contactus. This might be what you want. 22nd November is last day for submissions for Maths. No info about Maths yet at our cluster meeting held today.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

The consultation for Maths is open now, you can see the draft specification here:

http://juniorcycle.ie/Curriculum/Subjects/Maths/Maths?lang=en-GB

We're still going to have Higher and Ordinary Level but are losing Foundation and will be going to one two hour long paper.

At a quick glance I can't see huge change to the overall content but would have some concerns about the standard of the Ordinary Level in some topics.

Given that students who would have previously been Foundation Level will now have to sit Ordinary I'd worry some aspects of it will prove too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It's really unfair on Fdn level students, unless they dumb Ordinary down altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

The classroom based assessments (CBAs) will be set and marked at a common level. The exam at the end of 3rd year will be at higher and ordinary level but will only be 2 hours long.

doc_17 wrote: »
    The classroom based assessments (CBAs) will be set and marked at a common level. The exam at the end of 3rd year will be at higher and ordinary level but will only be 2 hours long.

How the hell do they expect to maintain standards with this? I didn't realise the CBA were common level for English Irish maths - it are they? And to condense two papers into one 2 hr one is disingenuous to the students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

How the hell do they expect to maintain standards with this? I didn't realise the CBA were common level for English Irish maths - it are they? And to condense two papers into one 2 hr one is disingenuous to the students

This has been out in the public domain for some time now and is widely known to most teachers. The consultations phase cannot change this, it can only change the specification but will most likely change nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

It's for reasons like this ASTI tried their hardest to tow the line against it. We didn't just do it for the craic. I think it's a disservice to all the other subject who now will be at common level.

doc_17 wrote: »
    This has been out in the public domain for some time now and is widely known to most teachers. The consultations phase cannot change this, it can only change the specification but will most likely change nothing.

Oh I know that. After some thought I realised of course the CBA has to be common or students are constrained to picking levels very early on. But I must confess I hadn't thought about it.

And these are the results of tweaking thanks to the ASTI holding tough for so long. Shudder to think about it. I was struck by something on my Twitter feed earlier - 2 articles one directly under each other. First one was from the Irish Times extolling RB's latest announcement. 2nd one was from an English site and had tonnes of replies from teachers giving out about the paperwork - one struck me as it was a teacher saying she'd enough decision made she was taking early retirement end of this year ---- we are fast heading down the same road

Advertisement