Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Home Inspections for Insurance

• 13-11-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

This is a condition of an insurance quote which I received.

Special Condition – Regular Inspections

Whenever the home is unoccupied a responsible person must be appointed to supervise and inspect the Holiday Home regularly (at least once a month). These inspections must check for damage or faults and make sure that
    (a) all outside doors are securely locked and
    (b) all ground floor and accessible upper floor windows are securely fastened and any broken windows boarded up and repaired without delay. Any damage or faults discovered during an inspection must be repaired and/or remedied without delay.

I'm very friendly with my neighbour whose house overlooks mine, so I never bothered with inspections. Do all holiday home insurance contracts have a clause like this? If I ask for a formal arrangement with my neighbour I will have to offer payment and it might well end up costing me as much as the insurance itself.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

It's a standard condition. It is designed to detect a problem before it gets compounded such as a burst pipe, broken window letting in rain, burglary etc.

It is only a walk through inspection. If I was doing it for a neighbour, I would have thought a bottle of Jameson would be more than welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cheapo SIM card and a pair of chinese IP cams would be the nerds solution Id jump to :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »
    Cheapo SIM card and a pair of chinese IP cams would be the nerds solution Id jump to :pac:
    Fine Ed E (except no broadband by the way) but my neighbour literally couldn't not spot a problem and I'm still stuck with insurance companies putting in a clause that effectively doubles the price of the insurance unless I'm prepared to chance my arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

ED E wrote:
    Cheapo SIM card and a pair of chinese IP cams would be the nerds solution Id jump to

That would not meet the criteria. It has to be a physical inspection

Advertisement