Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord help???

Options
  • 13-11-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

So recently the council came in and done a spot check on my apartment, it didn't go well. Since then my LL has arrived in unannounced, just walked into my apartment on a good few occasions. He has told me a few minor things that need work on, but hasn't told me the whole lot. The council informed me of major work that needs to be done. My LL has since started yelling at me over a broken light fixture which he claims he knew nothing about, (He sent his electrian up twice in the past to fix) it's got to the point that he's bullying me, he started by threatening me for having people stay over (I look after my grandmother, so I do have a friend, family or my bf stay to mind my daughter) telling me it was against the apartment rules, on another occasion he also threatened to report me to the social welfare for having people stay over. He's yelled abuse at me in front of my daughter and always does it when nobody is around. I feel like he's trying to intimidate me to leave. I've lived here for over 4 years and never had a problem, my rents paid and I just come and go. My rent has been raised by 200 in 13 months, I've also checked my contract and it doesn't say anything about people staying over. He's a very scary man and I'm worried for my daughter's and mine safety. I don't think I've done anything wrong. Any help on how to deal with this man?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I'd be making a complaint to the police. And the PRTB.
    He's coming into your home without prior warning and verbally abusing you. That is absolutely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 prinkthings1

s4uv3 wrote: »
    I'd be making a complaint to the police. And the PRTB.
    He's coming into your home without prior warning and verbally abusing you. That is absolutely unacceptable.

I'm honestly afraid too, there's no where else to rent where I live and I'm afraid of him evicting me, I wouldn't deal well with homelessness and I have to put my daughter first.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've lived here for over 4 years and never had a problem, my rents paid and I just come and go. My rent has been raised by 200 in 13 months
    Are you in one of these areas; https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones

the_syco wrote: »
    /quote]

Yes I am, I know I have a case but this man doesn't care and would use it as a weapon against me. I've seen it happen to other neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If he just walks in, he's trespassing. As advised above, get onto the gardai and RTB.

It sounds like your rent was also increased in breach of the cap, so you can trump any threats he can make.

• Advertisement

seagull wrote: »
    If he just walks in, he's trespassing. As advised above, get onto the gardai and RTB.

You can't trespass in your own property, the guards will have absolutely no heed in you calling them up and saying your LL is trespassing as its not possible. Its in breech of a tenancy law and the only people who can follow that up is the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I've lived here for over 4 years and never had a problem, my rents paid and I just come and go.

How long over 4 years exactly ?
    It sounds like you have just left your first part 4 tenancy, so are you there more than four years and six months?
    If it's less than six months into your second part 4 tenancy, it may be easier for your landlord to evict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Sarn

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It sounds like you have just left your first part 4 tenancy, so are you there more than four years and six months?
    If it's less than six months into your second part 4 tenancy, it may be easier for your landlord to evict.

As far as I know the legislation was changed so that the tenancy must be terminated before 4 years (i.e. the next tenancy) rather than in the first 6 months of the next cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

So recently the council came in and done a spot check on my apartment, it didn't go well. Since then my LL has arrived in unannounced, just walked into my apartment on a good few occasions. He has told me a few minor things that need work on, but hasn't told me the whole lot. The council informed me of major work that needs to be done. My LL has since started yelling at me over a broken light fixture which he claims he knew nothing about, (He sent his electrian up twice in the past to fix) it's got to the point that he's bullying me, he started by threatening me for having people stay over (I look after my grandmother, so I do have a friend, family or my bf stay to mind my daughter) telling me it was against the apartment rules, on another occasion he also threatened to report me to the social welfare for having people stay over. He's yelled abuse at me in front of my daughter and always does it when nobody is around. I feel like he's trying to intimidate me to leave. I've lived here for over 4 years and never had a problem, my rents paid and I just come and go. My rent has been raised by 200 in 13 months, I've also checked my contract and it doesn't say anything about people staying over. He's a very scary man and I'm worried for my daughter's and mine safety. I don't think I've done anything wrong. Any help on how to deal with this man?

In this whole story there is an unanswered question: who called the council inspectors? It is very unlikely they would choose to inspect your apartment unless someone solicited the inspection or you are on HAP.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It's been 4 years and 4 months

• Advertisement

GGTrek wrote: »
    In this whole story there is an unanswered question: who called the council inspectors? It is very unlikely they would choose to inspect your apartment unless someone solicited the inspection or you are on HAP.

Couldn't tell you the answer to that question. There is new tenants that recently moved in to another apartment in the block. They could be on the hap.

It's not just my apartment the council came too. There is more than 1 here that be Long to the landlord, all apartments where inspected. Over the last 6 months we have had 2 sets of new tenants

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It's been 4 years and 4 months

Its inside the first 6 months following a 4 year Part IV tenancy (its 6 years thereafter). The OP can have their tenancy terminated without any reason given- for the next 2 months (until the 6 month window after the elapse of the original 4 year Part IV tenancy have elapsed). Thereafter- the landlord can only invoke the set clauses as per the Act.

Its inside the first 6 months following a 4 year Part IV tenancy (its 6 years thereafter). The OP can have their tenancy terminated without any reason given- for the next 2 months (until the 6 month window after the elapse of the original 4 year Part IV tenancy have elapsed). Thereafter- the landlord can only invoke the set clauses as per the Act.
    But my contract is 2 years. It isn't out for another 8 months, so does the first 16 months of the contract not count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you have a fixed term lease and there's no break clause for the landlord, then the landlord definitely can't end your tenancy until the lease term is up. After the lease is over, you will still have security of tenure under Part 4 of the RTA, as you are currently in a Further Part 4 tenancy, so even after the lease expires, the landlord can only end the tenancy for one of the allowable reasons. Five years and eight months from now, your current Further Part 4 will end, so the landlord may serve you notice before the end of that tenancy to kick you out when that tenancy period ends without needing a valid reason. If he doesn't do so, then another six-year Further Part 4 tenancy will begin, and so on ad infinitum.

Also note that the "your lease can be terminated within the first six months of a Further Part 4 tenancy" thing is no longer true; a valid notice to terminate must now be served before your current tenancy period ends. If it is not, then you have security of tenure even if you are one day into your next Further Part 4 tenancy.

Advertisement