Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card dead after new RAM install?

Options
  • 13-11-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Have a HTPC with i5-3550 and RX480. All working dandy for last year. Decided up upgrade the RAM from 8->12Gb.

After installing the new RAM module,I got no display out of my external GPU via HDMI.Plugged into my monitor via VGA on the mobo and PC working fine, new RAM module identified.

However the RX480 has gone missing in device manager and Asus gpu tweak (on startup) gives error message (load vender.dll fail fail to load dlls. please install VGA driver. GPU-Z could not detect the hardware either. Checked BIOs, settings were at auto for PCI detect and uninstalled the new RAM, but still no avail.

Decided to uninstalled existing drivers via DDU, reseat the GPU and try again. This time however the GPU spins up, then dies and i get no signal to the monitor (plugged into GPU or plugged into VGA from mobo). When i physically remove the Graphics card and boot system via VGA, system is working fine again. Tried on the 2nd PCI slot on mobo and same result.

At a bit of a loss here...am i looking at a dead GPU? And just from a RAM module installation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What happens if you remove the new RAM module & reseat the GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

GPU spins up, then dies and i get no signal to the monitor -with or without the new RAM.
    PC works fine without the GPU installed and the new RAM is recognized, but if i add back in the GPU I get no output from GPU or mobo display out

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Two theories here:

1. The mobo was providing 101% its current capacity to the existing setup. The extra DIMM pushed it over the edge.
    https://wccftech.com/amd-statement-rx-480-pcie-power/

2. You ESD'd (uncommon nowadays) the card upon removal.

Advertisement