Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic wiring trouble

Options
  • 13-11-2017 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

Just bought a house and cleared the attic out of all the old insulation. I noticed there was an old centralised junction box that was for all the upstairs lights. I know it's old because all the wires are single core. For instance the line will run from the junction box on a single core wire to the switch and then a different single core will run from the switch to the light and another single core will run back to the neutral of the centralised junction box. The wires are old frayed and not in good shape. I noticed 2 twin core and earth (much newer) running from the corner of the attic and assumed one of them was power in.

I did wonder why an electrician would not change the whole system but when I went outside I can see that they run down the wall into an outside light and sensor. My big issue is I can't seem to find when the power is coming from and I'm wondering if it would ever have been practice to have a line and neutral power in wires coming from different parts of the attic.

I haven't opened the distribution centre yet but all the cables put seem to be new.

My next move will be to power down the whole fuse box open up the junction box isolate one of the three potential line wires using a wago connector and testing to the neutral bar on the central junction box with a voltometer l can tey an isolate the hot wire in. One of the line wires into the junction box splits into five separate line wires after about a foot.

I reckon by disconnection each one isolating it safely using a wagon connector and resetting just the upstairs circuit at the breaker I'll be able to see where it comes up.

It's an awful mess to be honest and I just wanted to see if anyone had dealt with a similar situation and if they had any helpful tips.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Simple advice my American friend is call an electrician to sort this mess out properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FatfriarII

I am under no illusion that I will probably end up there but if I go straight to that option I'll learn nothing. I have a huge respect for electricity and will be taking every precaution. I was just hoping someone might have a tip or two from experience.

Dublin born and bred

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

FatfriarII wrote: »
    I am under no illusion that I will probably end up there but if I go straight to that option I'll learn nothing.

With all due respect this is not the way to learn. This is mains electricity that is potentially lethal. Your first post strongly suggests that you are not sufficiently proficient. For you own sake please call in a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Btw OP
    Just because it's single core on a house does not mean it's old

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement