Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumping Station in Abbotstown ; GDD Project

Options
  • 13-11-2017 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

For those who have missed the letter on this, I have received this letter on the post and am not too pleased with it:
    www.greaterdublindrainage.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/AppendixD_GDD_Autumn2017-Newsletter_FINAL.pdf

I live in Waterville, so not far away from the project. That therefore already annoys me a bit, but I also got used to cycle with my kids in around the area where the project is being planned. It's pretty much one of the last spot of countryside in the whole area. Moreover, you can also find the ruins of an old church, a very old cementary (completely neglected I'm afraid) and amazing centuries-old trees all around. The dot is pretty much right on it! You can zoom on the link below to find the exact spot. The Hospice is not that far away too.
    http://www.greaterdublindrainage.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Project-Solution-Map.jpg

Please find as well as FAQ link providing some further (little) information on the Abbotstown side of the project.
    http://www.greaterdublindrainage.com/faqs-2/

A Public Information Event is planned in Blanch' on the 27th of Nov (see the first link). I will certainly voice my concerns there.

I'm not blindly opposed to it, but the little information I get from it is concerning enough so I thought to let you know all.

Thanks,

JC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What are your concerns?

I have read the FAQs and this reads like a vital piece of infrastructure badly needed to help address the housing problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That dot, is purely indicative and its fairly churlish to acknowledge that obvious fact. You can be certain they wont be demolishing any old churches for it. Rather than the knee jerk negativity, why not wait for the meeting and have a look at the detailed proposals.

As the website says, its an underground facility with an overground maintenance building, to be built on the NSCDA lands, so A) other than during the construction phase I dont see a long term impact and B) its not countryside, its an ever expanding planned sports facility in a suburban location. The fact you lose a bit of ad-hoc green space that's close to your house, is academic, considering you are but a cycle away from small and massive parks alike.

The hospital, hospice, sports campus, college, industry and badly needed future housing can only benefit from this, just not in your back yard I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

It's fair enough to be concerned so going to the info event will be well worth attending - thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see what the place will look like once they finish. It looks like it could take even more for the tolka valley and impact the areas along the river.

How do you access this area on bike - is it via the sports campus or through the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Would a pumping station be very large/obtrusive? I wouldn't think so.

Given the choice between having the pumping stating, the "biosolids storage facility" or the waste treatment plant in my area, give me the pumping station every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Erelliac

I got a reply from them on my question. The installation will be circ. 200m south of the cementery so far away enough from it. I didn't mean to be overly negative about the project, I was just concerned. I will go anyway to the meeting to know exactly what is the project given I live close by.

To go around this area, you can get into the National Sport Campus, walk toward the new indoor area they built, turn on your right before, follow the road and then turn onto the right after the stables. You will pass Abbottstown House and then you have the mini countryside!

Thanks for your replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement