Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I disappear in Dublin?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

This isn't supposed to sound all melancholy or anything, but Dublin isn't as big as I thought it would be. I moved here for college last year and love it so much, but I was a bit annoyed when I realized I can't ever go out into town without recognizing a few people. It's selfish/silly/etc I know, I love Dublin but it's smaller than I expected.
    So, does anyone know any places where you can just go to have a few hours to yourself? To read or go on your laptop or something? Like a coffee shop, library with a bunch of corners... Can't find anything on Google.
    Hate the way I sound writing this lol, but sometimes my flat just feels very small (shared rooms etc) and I want to turn invisible for a little while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murrrrrrrrph

City centre, or South city to be specific! Sorry should have mentioned that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Dart to bray or greystones might be an option.

Certainly the city centre is small. The walkable shopping area is a few blocks as our American friends say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go to library.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The chester beatty library

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Go to the gravediggers pub (and see what happens)

Easy answer so. Go north of the river. Plenty of nice little spots to park for a few hours. Head for Phibsboro or Stonybatter for cozy pubs and cafes. ILAC library is plenty big, if a bit industrial. Also plenty of nice village-y suburbs only a short hop on the bus from where you are. Hop on the LUAS green line for Ranelagh or Milltown Park. The city is quite literally your oyster. Make a list of all the places where you see people you know. Pick another place. Job done.

vicwatson wrote: »
    They'll be left alone to enjoy their pint/cuppa, unless they engage somebody in conversation? In which case they'll get conversation?

Actually a great suggestion, OP. Lovely pub, with great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murrrrrrrrph

ahh thank you guys for being so nice even when I'm being a weenie

ahh thank you guys for being so nice even when I'm being a weenie
    I've been that weenie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Rathmines library, and Rathmines in general, is great for hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

There are also lots of free museums to visit if that's your thing. Not great for the evenings but would pass an afternoon if you've a few free hours during the week or weekend.

Examples include the Natural History Museum, the Science Gallery and plenty of art type places.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

vicwatson wrote: »

You'll drink some of the best Guinness in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

like previous people suggested try a library. I sit in Costa Coffee in Jervis sometimes, very busy in there but noone actually bothers you - i sometimes sit in there to read a book and chill for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dun Laoighaire library... or Wetherspoons forty foot. Great views from both.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

http://winding-stair.com/bookshop/

This was a place to disappear years ago, not too sure if it is still the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

The square in Tallaght. Amazing library beside it to. Just hop on the luas. Super cool view of the Dublin mountains.

The square in Tallaght. Amazing library beside it to. Just hop on the luas. Super cool view of the Dublin mountains.

Library is nice. Square is a Sh1thole*.

*not being snobby. It’s my local shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,967 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I would agree with Enda on the Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

endacl wrote: »
    Library is nice. Square is a Sh1thole*.

*not being snobby. It’s my local shopping centre.

I don't get you, why is it a ****hole? Seems like every other shopping centre to me. It has parking, shops, places to eat, a cinema etc. I wouldn't recommend it to the OP but I wouldn't call it a ****hole, I'd reserve that description for Crumlin Shopping Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Change your surname to Hutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The Blessington Street basin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Botanic Gardens, IMMA, Phoenix Park for a ramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

branners69 wrote: »
    http://winding-stair.com/bookshop/

This was a place to disappear years ago, not too sure if it is still the same?

Have never been here - its a place i always see when going by on the bus and say i must check it out. It looks quite cool

messrs wrote: »
    Have never been here - its a place i always see when going by on the bus and say i must check it out. It looks quite cool

It’s mainly a restaurant now. I was going to recommend it as a cafe, which it used to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Trinity College

SteM wrote: »
    I don't get you, why is it a ****hole? Seems like every other shopping centre to me. It has parking, shops, places to eat, a cinema etc. I wouldn't recommend it to the OP but I wouldn't call it a ****hole, I'd reserve that description for Crumlin Shopping Centre.
    Disclaimer: Not a fan of any shopping centre. I find them all a bit oppressive and depressing....

The Square is, at best, shabby these days. Generic cut and paste selection of outlets. Drop cheapo teen fashion shops, grey tracksuit and overpriced runners shops, and fast food shyte peddlers, and there’s not a lot left. A couple of miserable supermarkets, and a cinema with a constant coating of popcorn and coke in the floor, and a sea of mobile phones distracting your attention away from the badly tensioned and warped screens. Populated by a zombie horde who go to the square on a Saturday/Sunday, because that’s what you do on a Saturday/Sunday.

The Square is a sh1thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Upstairs in the visitors centre cafe in the Phoenix park. Bit of a walk from the front gates but well worth it for the home made scones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

endacl wrote: »
    Disclaimer: Not a fan of any shopping centre. I find them all a bit oppressive and depressing....

The Square is, at best, shabby these days. Generic cut and paste selection of outlets. Drop cheapo teen fashion shops, grey tracksuit and overpriced runners shops, and fast food shyte peddlers, and there’s not a lot left. A couple of miserable supermarkets, and a cinema with a constant coating of popcorn and coke in the floor, and a sea of mobile phones distracting your attention away from the badly tensioned and warped screens. Populated by a zombie horde who go to the square on a Saturday/Sunday, because that’s what you do on a Saturday/Sunday.

The Square is a sh1thole.

Never feels particularly spacious or well-lit by comparison with the likes of Blanchardstown or Dundrum either with the exception of the very central section.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    Never feels particularly spacious or well-lit by comparison with the likes of Blanchardstown or Dundrum either with the exception of the very central section.
    Dundrum and Blanch Centres would be two of my top ten least favourite places to go for any reason. That's not the point I was making though. I'm not saying the square is a sh1thole in comparison to shopping centres that I like (there aren't any). I'm saying it's a sh1thole in comparison to places that aren't sh1tholes. The fact that the square is a shopping centre is incidental.

Anyhow, this is starting to veer widely off topic.

Advertisement