Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nowhere Fast (RTÉ2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Watched the first episode tonight and really enjoyed it - it's got a solid cast and the characters are relatable.

You must have seen a different episode to me. Same old Irish nonsense. Anywhere outside Dublin is backwards, overly religious and full of “characters”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Nowhere Fast is exactly where this show is going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Watched the first episode tonight and really enjoyed it - it's got a solid cast and the characters are relatable.

Excellent. Given the utter ****e you normally recommend you'd have saved me watching it.

Except I did watch it before I read this.

Throwing f®©¢ into random places doesn't make something funny, unless you're 12. Actually, are you 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I really enjoyed it too. I wasn't expecting the cast to be so good - recognised a couple of faces from Moone Boy. I found the mother's constant references to suicide darkly funny. And the loud, vulgar friend (Mary) was nicely balanced out by the quiet, shy one (Brid).

"I'll tell your granny about your trip to England. Spa weekend was it? Full body massage and womb scraping?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I liked it for the same reasons.. The characters are relatable.. Few minor laughs but Ill watch it because it just reminds me of people like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The characters are relatable alright but it was a hot mess in terms of the direction and dictation. I'll have subtitles on next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did this start out on Republic of Telly too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Watched it, thought it was sh!te. Not as bad as Can't Cope, Won't Cope but that's still not a compliment. RTE once again can't quite make an out and out comedy, it's never funny enough so it's got to have a bit of drama.

Given the sensitivity in this country on the repeal the 8th issue, I thought the bit where the character outs the girl in the pub for having a "weekend visit" to the UK for comedic effect a bit harsh. I'm no prude, I love offensive comedy, but I felt that was just off the mark and I can see how it could upset and offend people of a certain disposition who would be watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Well that wasn't very funny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

Some funny bits. The overly solicitous mother and the football-team gag at the dinner table got a snort out of me. Everything else ranged from contrived to just unfunny. Like in the beginning, when Alison was ranting about the radio presenter "off the air", which went on much longer than necessary and used too much crass language for the sake of the joke. (Wnaking into briquettes sounds funnier on paper than from the mouth of a tubby culchie.)

But, to be fair, first episodes aren't always the best. The first ones of Rick and Morty and Father Ted weren't excellent (IMO), so I'd be willing to watch another episode or two. If not, then yeah, toss it in the can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

DredFX wrote: »
    But, to be fair, first episodes aren't always the best. The first ones of Rick and Morty and Father Ted weren't excellent (IMO), so I'd be willing to watch another episode or two. If not, then yeah, toss it in the can.

:eek: You're crazy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

:eek: You're crazy!!

They're weren't, though. Especially when compared to the following episodes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm sorry: it's complete rubbish. Wanted to like it. Think I cracked a smile once but it didn't even develop into an actual laugh.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"Homeopathy? Is that where water remembers it used to be medicine but forgets all about the piss, sh!t and fishjuice?"

That was about the only line I heard that resembled some class of attempted joke, the character even gave a bit of a giggle after saying it just for added emphasis and, like the show as a whole, fell flat on its face. The writers have Mary produce a can of beer at the lunchtable to let us know how mad she is, but the character merely comes across as dark and sinister with no empathetic or comedic value. That scene in the pub was jarring and totally devoid of subtlety or creative skill. I'd want to see at least some potential in a first episode, but this had none that I could detect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched it, was terrible, would you have to be from some samll rural town to get the comedy or what? By the way I love Hardy Bucks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Homeopathy? Is that where water remembers it used to be medicine but forgets all about the piss, sh!t and fishjuice?"

That was about the only line I heard that resembled some class of attempted joke, the character even gave a bit of a giggle after saying it just for added emphasis and, like the show as a whole, fell flat on its face.

That joke is lifted almost word-for-word from a Tim Minchin poem, and he probably borrowed it from another comedian before him. Not original at all.

That joke is lifted almost word-for-word from a Tim Minchin poem, and he probably borrowed it from another comedian before him. Not original at all.

Dara O'Brian has a spiel about homeopathy in one of his shows, could be from there. Been a while since I've seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I liked it - perhaps because I have lived all over small town rural Ireland. Bit like I get "Killinaskully" too for the same reasons as I can relate to the characters. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I haven't seen it but it got mostly good, or goodish, reviews by the various TV reviewers.

They seem at the least happy to see give it time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Just watched this now. Thought it was pretty bad. What is it with RTE and the inability to tell a joke in a concise/clever manner?

The joke: She ranted about the guest without realising she was on air.

How they did it: She began ranting while not realising she was on air, because the light was off, but we knew she was on air because the guest was pulling faces as was the host, and there was a guy in doing maintenance, during the live show (:confused:), while the host told her that they're on air, but only after a good 20 seconds of her ranting (:confused:), then the light comes back on to show that again yes shock she was indeed on air - then to make extra certain we know she was on air the maintenance guy says that the faulty light is fixed.

Talk about absolutely destroying the impact of a joke.

• Advertisement

The actresses that play Brid and Mary are sexy out the door though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Is this a phrase?

Is this a phrase?

No.. Just something in my head at an early hour before I've had coffee..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Watched it, was terrible, would you have to be from some samll rural town to get the comedy or what? By the way I love Hardy Bucks.

I am from a small rural town and I also think it is terrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Pretty close you have to admit.

124f9d29584cf0ce8b7cd459fe938777f3c3e9d9bd8c477c29ab22293f31cd3a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So has the 2nd series been announced yet?

Second episode was a lot weaker than the first but I'll be sticking with it.

Del.Monte wrote: »

Having only watched the first that sounds like quite the achievement!

Jesus, if it was weaker than the first it must have been homeopathic comedy in the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agreed 100%

The program was very interesting, although I am biased towards irish films like parked, the barrytown trilogy etc.

Latest episode was dire and it surely won't get a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Loblox

Six seasons and a movie!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Since when has that ever stopped RTE?

Worth watching a few episodes of Game Face by Roisin Conaty on C4 to comprehend how truly awful this tripe is. They are similar sort of shows, only difference being that Conaty understands character and actually possesses a modicum of writing talent.

Just watched the season finale....poor fare indeed. It has something but it lacks any real direction. Will there be a second season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

It’s RTE, I’m sure they signed her to a 5 season deal before it aired !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am surprised no Christmas special

Advertisement