Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a pen as a graduation present

• 14-11-2017 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

Hi

Nephew is graduating soon and we were thinking of buying him a pen as a present and getting it engraved with his qualification

Anyone recommend a special pen.

Willing to pay up to €100

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Have you thought about getting him a special pen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Buy him 200 BIC pens.

Also, Meohew sounds like a Pokemon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Masala wrote: »
    Hi

Meohew is graduating soon and we were thinking of buying him a pen as a present and getting it engraved with his qualification

Cross pens have a wide range and do engraving for you. I've had the same cross pen for decades. It has rubber where you hold it and is a very comfortable writing instrument.

Who is Meohew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Omackeral wrote: »
    Buy him 200 BIC pens.

I'd prefer 100 gel pens, if I could :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Who is Meohew?

He's when Mew from Pokemon evolves

Omackeral wrote: »
    He's when Mew from Pokemon evolves

Aha! That's what I thought.

*strokes chin in confusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Donegal bog-oak pens, engraving available

Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Who is Meohew?
    Meohew is the sound a cat makes when it sneezes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Buy him a regular pen and give him the change out of €100. It will only get robbed anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Donegal bog-oak pens, engraving available

Link here

Was going to suggest the same. Pretty sure Obama has one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Noveight wrote: »
    Was going to suggest the same. Pretty sure Obama has one!
    he does :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Get one of those 4 in 1s with blue, black, red and green. He'll be the envy of the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Sounds like a dreadful.present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

21RgI7Zxq3L.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I hope this pen will be stuffed full of cocaine or something

"Would you like a pen"

"Ah no, I'm fine thanks"

"Ah go on, they have Cocaine in them"

"What"

"No, Ink - They have ink in them"

Wesser wrote: »
    Sounds like a dreadful.present

Depends on the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I recommend buying something from "Pen Island". From what I know about Meohew he'd love something from there

www . penisland . com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did you hear about the mathematician who tried to solve his constipation problem?

He worked it out with a pen and paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Buy him a regular pen and give him the change out of €100. It will only get robbed anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Just give him the €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

So excited for Meohew! I've been following his vlog series. :) He mentioned on 'Mondays with Meohew' yesterday that he needs a pen now more than ever. Can't wait to see his reaction! xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hi

Meohew is graduating soon and we were thinking of buying him a pen as a present and getting it engraved with his qualification

What's his qualification in?

You'd get a reasonable enough Cross pen for €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭tritium

Id suggest a nice fountain pen since its a bit different to your everyday ballpoint. Waterman do a nice wide range and you'll pick one up for under 100 easily enough in Amazon. The 'expert' model is quite nice. Fromer French president Francois Mitterand apparently always had two waterman pens with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭bop1977

Apple pen(cil). €100. Job done. Although you might have to buy him an iPad as well.

Sure who rights with pen and paper these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Reading this thread made me realize I've actually only written about 20 lines in the last decade.

I could use a pen for digging fluff out of my keyboard or opening jars though.

Joking aside, it's a nice present and I'd be touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Pen Type A:
    https://cwandt.com/products/pen-type-a?variant=113683652

Or Pen Type B on the next page!

They are over budget. Pen Type A was I think only $50 when they launched on Kickstarter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'd suggest a tactical pen or kubotan
    should he need to stab somebody in the head.
    I've seen an attempt to stab somebody with a bic pen , didn't really work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Does he actually like pens? Like, are pens his thing? If not, then you're just wasting your money, doubly so if this is just a bachelors degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

No... he will qualify as a Doctor. I suppose it's a token present for his desk ... I am not saying it's the definitive present to get but it just want to give him something that is individual to him and a token of his graduation. Do the engraving would be Dr. John Smith MD etc.

He might not use it straight away... but maybe in 10 year time etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

No... he will qualify as a Doctor. I suppose it's a token present for his desk ... I am not saying it's the definitive present to get but it just want to give him something that is individual to him and a token of his graduation. Do the engraving would be Dr. John Smith MD etc.

You are in the wrong place really

go to The Gentlemen's Club threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I know someone who took his beautiful gold engraved Cross pen to a pub quiz and lost it. He was gutted, but luckily the bar staff had collected up the rubbish at the end of the night and put the biros into the pint glass with the other odd biros and he got it back a couple of weeks later.

Moral of the story: don't flash your good stuff around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I worked with a guy that had the crazyiest list of stuff after his name. I had to look most of them up, he had stuff like his IAM (advanced driving) in there. By the time i got to the end I was expecting it to be boy scout badges.

Off topic, but is it ever acceptable to list one's qualifications? On a business card? Linkedin?

On topic: I think a pen is a nice gift for graduation. Depending on what he will be doing, there are nice sets with a pen and a mechanical pencil. Don't think I would bother with engraving though, unless it was a fairly high qualification, and even them, only if it was a more expensive pen. That said, engraving it makes it less likely he will try to flog it on ebay...

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

From some of the replies here, a few posters don't seem to get that some people are interested in things that others aren't. I for one couldn't give a toss about watches, another common graduation present. They do nothing for me, and I wouldn't really be interested in one at all if I was gifted it. However, I get that a lot of people are really into them, and that's fine.

OP, if you reckon it'll be appreciated then go for it. Seems like there's some good suggestions in the thread so far.

If he likes pens, get him a Mont Blanc but look for it second-hand (vintage!) at that price point.

Don't get anything other than his initials monogrammed on it, more than that looks tacky and I would be embarrassed to pull out a pen with too much engraving on it. He won't forget you gave it to him, or why, and he'll treasure it forever I'm sure.

I love pens and all things stationary related, I was given beautiful pens for graduation and I love them.

bop1977 wrote: »
    Apple pen(cil). €100. Job done. Although you might have to buy him an iPad as well.

Sure who rights with pen and paper these days?

People who can spell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

MrPudding wrote: »
    Off topic, but is it ever acceptable to list one's qualifications? On a business card? Linkedin?
    LinkedIn and business cards are exactly the type of place you're expected to include all that twattery.

Aside from job applications and work-related stuff, mentioning your qualifications makes you seem like a wanker.

- Ficheall, PhD, BSc, Dip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

MrPudding wrote: »

In a place I used to work, we used to have to include them in our email signature. Cringey!

In a place I used to work, we used to have to include them in our email signature. Cringey!

I worked in part of the M.E. for a short while and everyone would introduce themselves with their titles and iterate all their qualifications to the letter, then turn to the next person and they'd do the same. It took about 10 minutes to get through a room at one point. It was like another planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I recommend buying something from "Pen Island". From what I know about Meohew he'd love something from there

www . penisland . com
    This made me giggle, well played sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

If you're looking for a pen set as such Newbridge do a nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Get him a personalised scalpel. Or speculum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

http://www.penisland.net has good options for a young lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Birneybau wrote: »
    Get him a personalised scalpel. Or speculum.

Has to be the latter.

Advertisement