Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I add an outdoor socket to my evse run?

• 14-11-2017 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

So quick question. We have 2 EVs and most times we don't need to charge on same nights but it would be easier if we had the option. So I'm going to add an outdoor socket for a granny evse.
    Quick question will the current 6sq cable run be able to run both a 30a charger and 10a granny continuously? I could tap off an indoor socket but it would need a long run. However there is already the current cabling there that I could have setup in minutes. 40a rcbo already in place, would it need to go slightly higher also?

Comments

Depending on the "32A" car. Leaf 6.6 kW draws approx. 28A so you would get away just. If you've got 60A main ESB fuse you have to be careful with other big consumers like electric shower or cooker while the two cars are charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

An i3(7.2) and Zoe(43) so both capable of pulling the 30a the charger offers. It's a Chargemaster so 30a only.

I'm aware about shower etc. But just need to know if the RCBO and cabling would be ok or if I need to add it elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

stesaurus wrote: »
    So quick question. We have 2 EVs and most times we don't need to charge on same nights but it would be easier if we had the option. So I'm going to add an outdoor socket for a granny evse.
    Quick question will the current 6sq cable run be able to run both a 30a charger and 10a granny continuously? I could tap off an indoor socket but it would need a long run. However there is already the current cabling there that I could have setup in minutes. 40a rcbo already in place, would it need to go slightly higher also?

It depends.

Is the cable in open air, in conduit, under insulation or a combination?

If, for instance, the cable was under attic insulation it wouldn't be rated for the full 40A, which you would be drawing. It might be OK but its pushing the limits.

I think you would also be pushing the limits of the RCBO and could have it tripping. You could just try it out and see if it does trip and then up rate it if it does act up but the cable is the real issue, not the RCBO.

Is pulling a new cable a big job?
    Since you already have two EV's it would make sense to run another cable long term anyway.

I'm being lazy and would like to avoid a reci. It would be a five minute job to connect into the current junction box so it appeals :)

The cable is coming through the eaves and resting on the insulation so i guess that rules that out.

I'll just have to connect into one of the current radial circuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm being lazy and would like to avoid a reci. It would be a five minute job to connect into the current junction box so it appeals :)

The cable is coming through the eaves and resting on the insulation so i guess that rules that out.

I'll just have to connect into one of the current radial circuits.

I'm not a RECI so take my opinion with that health warning, but I think a cable lying on top of insulation is fine.... its cable under insulation is the issue.

Basically.... can the cable give off heat or not. If it is under insulation it can't and so the max current drops. Sitting loosely on top of insulation should be ok.

Some online tools that might help:
    http://www.cable-ratings.co.uk
    http://www.doncastercables.com/technical-help <-- This one has a calculator
    http://www.clevelandcable.com/calculator.php <-- Calculator here too

You are borderline pulling 40A on a 6mm2 cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Could you use the timers on both cars to time shift the charging on both

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I'd say you'd be grand...

But long term it would be worth looking at load sharing capable chargepoints.

Timers was an idea i was thinking of but if i set say the car with the 30a charger for 11pm-2am then I'd only have 6 hours for the granny and wouldn't be 100% then. Longer term I'll be moving and renovating so I'll be able to come up with a much better future proof solution, PV, powerwall etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Most likely will be fine. Rolec have an evse with a 13Amp 3 pin socket in some of thrir units. I can charge both cars in the way you have asked.

Advertisement