Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet nursing as second degree

Options
  • 14-11-2017 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I'm looking for information from anyone who did vet nursing in AIT as a second degree. I know the fees are very reasonable and I could save the money for the three years before I start the course. What I'm worried about though is how I could survive for the three years by only working weekends and during the summer. It just seems unrealistic. Any info about costs of living and surviving this way would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Sent you a pm

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Hey there,

I didn't do it as a 2nd degree but had done 2 years of college before and not entitled to any grants etc, so was in a similar boat to yourself.

It's definitely doable. Myself and a few others I know of got by just working weekends in low-paid jobs. Living expenses in Athlone are minimal, rent is very very cheap compared to any of the cities. I've paid €265 as my lowest rent and €320 as my highest, just to give you an idea.

Personally, for fees, I've been taking out student loans and paying interest only on them until graduation. This has worked out pretty well for me so far. I don't have much money left over each month after expenses are paid, but you get used to it and the time absolutely flies in.

The course itself is excellent and I can only say good things about it. Feel free to PM me any questions you might have regarding specifics and I'll be happy to oblige. :)

Best of luck in your adventures!

Advertisement