Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where does vermin die after eating poison

• 14-11-2017 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I have a vermin problem at home. I'm setting traps et c. but I want to put down preventative poison bait boxes when my current problem is gone.

I worked in a restaurant kitchen for years and we never saw vermin even though we were in the basement of an old building. we had rentokil in every few months so it was obviously working.

my question is where did they die? and why could I not smell them? people do not recommend poison for houses because of smell? but surly you'd have the same problem in a restaurant? I was in 1st thing inn the morning before any cooking started and never got a a smell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

They generally crawl into your pillow case and suffocate.

Don’t worry about the smell, they soon turn into maggots due to your body heat and ultimately eat themselves and regurgitate until they are so small that they climb into your ears and infest forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Had a rat die in the wall at work once. It was disgusting. For for a week the smell was disgusting and nothing could be done to get it out. Eventually the smell went. Rat probably eaten by maggots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Om nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

I thought the poison makes them dyhydrated so they go to source water?
    So water tank in your attick i suppose?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Gavlor wrote: »

Don’t worry about the smell, they soon turn into maggots due to your body heat and ultimately eat themselves and regurgitate until they are so small that they climb into your ears and infest forever.

:D:D classic AH answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

But seriosuly OP, they usually go for a nice quiet dark place to peacefully die - like the box of cornflakes in your pantry , or up in the water tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't use poison, it may poison species that prey on rats and mice, and vermin become resistant to poisons anyway.

That and I don't want to smell parfum de decomposing body.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

whitesheep wrote: »
    I have a vermin problem at home. I'm setting traps et c. but I want to put down preventative poison bait boxes when my current problem is gone.

I worked in a restaurant kitchen for years and we never saw vermin even though we were in the basement of an old building. we had rentokil in every few months so it was obviously working.

my question is where did they die? and why could I not smell them? people do not recommend poison for houses because of smell? but surly you'd have the same problem in a restaurant? I was in 1st thing inn the morning before any cooking started and never got a a smell.

Rats in your caravan?

They don’t die
    They become undead
    The zombie rat apocalypse is coming

They don’t die
    They become undead
    The zombie rat apocalypse is coming

Ratpocalypse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

You utter utter Git!!!!
    After reading that how in the name of God will I ever sleep again
    At least warn me next time!!!!

:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I once had a housemate with mice in her bedroom. She killed one of them by kicking a wooden panel it was hiding behind. Two others were caught in traps. But there was one that avoided the traps and kept finding new hiding places. We think it spent a few days in her college bag with her books.

Eventually she used insulation foam to block up the hole it used to live in. The creature was trapped, but still alive. For days she had to listen to it scratching and scurrying in panic behind the wall next to her bed, until it eventually went quiet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Steve F wrote: »
    You utter utter Git!!!!
    After reading that how in the name of God will I ever sleep again
    At least warn me next time!!!!

:D

Ear wax is simply congealed rat microcosms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 whitesheep

Odhinn wrote: »
    Rats in your caravan?

Why caravan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The type of poison you can buy in hardware stores will cause the rodents body temperature to rise so they will naturally try to cool it by going outside. This is best case scenario however. If for whatever reason they can't get back out your going to have an awful smell and probably a lot of flies.

Rats tend to get into houses through drains. Do a Google search for a ratflap. A device that goes into your drain and allows stuff, rats and waste, out but remains closed to anything trying to come back in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have you considered just burning the house down OP?

whitesheep wrote: »
    Why caravan?

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No need for all the drama.
    Just ask Bob nicely and he'll go back home.
    His work here is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So last Sunday I was away for most of the day, came home, heard a noise in the kitchen. couldn't see anything..then a few minutes later I heard it again and went and looked...
    I had a mouse trap set upstairs in the bathroom as I knew their was a mouse issue (had already caught others) but I had left the door open to the bathroom and the mouse had made it's way downstairs to the kitchen and had it's foot caught in the trap.
    So I took him outside and released him and he ran away, seemed uninjured.

Another time I had rats outside on the farm, so had poison down, my cat then appeared one day with a dead rat in it's mouth. It wouldn't let go. I didn't want to handle the rat. I ended up having to swing the cat by the tail as I spun around, the cat didn't want to let go, so I had to go faster. Eventually it let go, but if anyone had seen me they might think I was being cruel by swinging the cat by it's tail, but it was the only way to get the poisoned rat away from the cat. I didn't want a poisoned cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Ear wax is simply congealed rat microcosms

You are dead to me!! DO YOU HEAR?

Not really :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Galway mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

They usually Die from the inside out....

Painfully.....

Advertisement