Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media: Rental Market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

So what's your point here?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

Blacktie. wrote: »
    So what's your point here?
    they always try to make us feel and think that things is always worse, things will only get worse.
    my point is - it's not true, things aren't going worse and people should start looking on facts beyond the media articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Why are you as someone who has never lived in Ireland and has only been here for two short holidays trying to convince people that it's not as bad?
    3400 rental properties in a country of over 4 million people isn't what I would call a healthy market. It covers all rental properties from studios to the top end of the market that the average Joe can't afford.

You have no idea about the hardship of the market, about the armchancing of Landlords and tenants, about the struggle of people that get eviction notices and have a family (you will have a hard time finding affordable rental accommodation with children). The rents even in commutable towns are expensive, the supply is little, if you need rent support no landlord is interested.
    I regularly see ladies in a Dublin facebook group being desperate to find a place to rent with their partners or families, moved to Ireland and move from one AirBnB to another for months.
    If you want to enlighten yourself, RTE did a docu not too long ago called "Nightmare to rent" that gives a good insight on how plenty of expats in Ireland have to live.

Watch it and think long and hard if you're really in the position of making such a judgement from a few newspaper articles.

You're thinking of leaving Israel, the clocks are running differently in another country. You can't compare the markets.

Come here and see yourself that it is as crazy as everyone says. If you and your wife move, without secured employment of both partners, references and bank accounts (setting a bank account up is the biggest pain, becayse you need a proof of living adress in Ireland) plus a good bit of other paperwork you'll struggle big time securing accommodation because you'll compete with parties that are less hassle.

LirW wrote: »
    Why are you as someone who has never lived in Ireland and has only been here for two short holidays trying to convince people that it's not as bad?
    3400 rental properties in a country of over 4 million people isn't what I would call a healthy market. It covers all rental properties from studios to the top end of the market that the average Joe can't afford.

You have no idea about the hardship of the market, about the armchancing of Landlords and tenants, about the struggle of people that get eviction notices and have a family (you will have a hard time finding affordable rental accommodation with children). The rents even in commutable towns are expensive, the supply is little, if you need rent support no landlord is interested.
    I regularly see ladies in a Dublin facebook group being desperate to find a place to rent with their partners or families, moved to Ireland and move from one AirBnB to another for months.
    If you want to enlighten yourself, RTE did a docu not too long ago called "Nightmare to rent" that gives a good insight on how plenty of expats in Ireland have to live.

Watch it and think long and hard if you're really in the position of making such a judgement from a few newspaper articles.

You're thinking of leaving Israel, the clocks are running differently in another country. You can't compare the markets.

Come here and see yourself that it is as crazy as everyone says. If you and your wife move, without secured employment of both partners, references and bank accounts (setting a bank account up is the biggest pain, becayse you need a proof of living adress in Ireland) plus a good bit of other paperwork you'll struggle big time securing accommodation because you'll compete with parties that are less hassle.
    thank you for the response.
    first, i have few friend that live in Dublin for more than 5 times, i'm not just sitting in front a computer like a stupid boring man.
    second i already have a non resident bank account in bank of ireland.
    third - i watched the rte show. pay attention that every apartment they showed - the people who rent her pay far less than the rent market price for those apartments. if they show us 1bdr aparment that looks disgusting and the rent is 1300e that's one thing. but when you pay 650 pm that's other thing.
    please don't judge people before you know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Henbabani wrote:
    thank you for the response. first, i have few friend that live in Dublin for more than 5 times, i'm not just sitting in front a computer like a stupid boring man. second i already have a non resident bank account in bank of ireland. third - i watched the rte show. pay attention that every apartment they showed - the people who rent her pay far less than the rent market price for those apartments. if they show us 1bdr aparment that looks disgusting and the rent is 1300e that's one thing. but when you pay 650 pm that's other thing. please don't judge people before you know them.

Can you explain your point and reason for this thread?

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Henbabani wrote:
    thank you for the response. first, i have few friend that live in Dublin for more than 5 times, i'm not just sitting in front a computer like a stupid boring man. second i already have a non resident bank account in bank of ireland. third - i watched the rte show. pay attention that every apartment they showed - the people who rent her pay far less than the rent market price for those apartments. if they show us 1bdr aparment that looks disgusting and the rent is 1300e that's one thing. but when you pay 650 pm that's other thing. please don't judge people before you know them.

Can you explain your point and reason for this thread?
    yes, to open a discussion about what you do think the part of the media in the housing crisis situation

I've seen you a couple of times here sprouting stuff out in the same tenor. I'm not judging you, I think you are being naive when you ignore the advice of people who live here probably life-long.

Frankly, saying it's all grand and not having lived in the country is a kick in the face for everyone who's genuinely struggling to secure a place to live. By now many young working adults can't afford to move out from their childhood home and they desperately want to because it's embarrassing for many. Tell them it's all fine and they shouldn't be like that is pretty much the worst thing you can do.

If it all works out for you it's wonderful, but I think you're seeing it way too easy.

Just imagine it the other way around, a person wants to move to Israel, if the market situation is genuinely bad and someone tells you over and over again it's just all hyped by the media you would probably ask yourself the same.
    You have friends living here but they might live here for much longer and secured an apartment under easier or different circumstances. Fact is you're trying to enter a very difficult rental market at the moment. While it is not impossible, many people face struggle and even more fear that they'll be evicted because that could mean homelessness in the worst case.

Just some food for thought.

Henbabani wrote: »
    yes, to open a discussion about what you do think the part of the media in the housing crisis situation

The media reports the pretty grim status quo.

Henbabani wrote:

Media prints stories to sell papers. Rental market and everything concerning housing is a hot topic ergo the media is going to highlight every little thing.
    The rental market in Ireland is a mess blaming the media or trying to suggest it isn't is head in the sand nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

they always try to make us feel and think that things is always worse, things will only get worse.
    my point is - it's not true, things aren't going worse and people should start looking on facts beyond the media articles.

The only thing that shows is that the media use scary words to get clicks on their articles. This is nothing new, Henbabani. All media agencies do this. You're looking for a conspiracy theory where there is none.

The reality on the ground does not change because a media agency click-baited you. As others have said already the current rental market in Ireland is abysmal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm sorry- what is the purpose of this thread?
    Yes, there are only circa 3,500 units available in the entire country.
    Yes, its not massively different from May 2016.
    Whats the point you're trying to make?

The media are in the business of selling newspapers- and by and large- don't give a rats arse what they have to do to achieve this goal.
    The media organisation you're quoting- are well known for not being- whats the best way of putting it- high brow?
    If you want factual articles from a paper of record- read the Irish Times.
    If you'd like reasonable articles- but very Cork/Munster oriented- read the Examiner.
    If you'd like whatever the lowest common denominator is- read the Indo.

Honestly- I have no idea what the raison d'etre of this thread is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We always say in Israel - when you know the media protect the sellers - good things are on the way.
    If I ignore what the media says about Israel, it sounds like a nice peaceful country whose neighbours are not launching missiles into it... :pac:

Also, you link to an article that says that the rents are higher than they were during the "100% employed boom times", about houses that are in the fcuk arse of nowhere whilst we need 50,000 houses in the city centre to meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Yes, Ireland has a shortage of houses...but Ireland isn't building in a land that doesn't belong to it...and I am just relating what the media are saying :pac:.

I think the OP has high tailed it for the hills. Maybe a kindly mod will close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: To me, this seems like a fairly pointless thread. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement