Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lambing pens

• 14-11-2017 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Thinking of making timber lambing pens. They will be 5x5. I need something like eye bolts for joining the timber hurdles but eye bolts seem very expensive.

Have any of you made timber pens and what timber and joiners did you use ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

brownswiss wrote: »
    Thinking of making timber lambing pens. They will be 5x5. I need something like eye bolts for joining the timber hurdles but eye bolts seem very expensive.

Have any of you made timber pens and what timber and joiners did you use ?

Thanks

How about Hinges?
    That or good old twine

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭brownswiss

ganmo wrote: »
    How about Hinges?
    That or good old twine
    Maybe... A friend of mine used hinges because he had them on the place. He said if doing the job again he would use eye bolts and rod iron but I think he does not realise the price of eye bolts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Maybe... A friend of mine used hinges because he had them on the place. He said if doing the job again he would use eye bolts and rod iron but I think he does not realise the price of eye bolts

Well ya could make your own eyebolts if ya have a pile of nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Use off cuts of reed bar driven into the ground and tie the gates to emm here....gather up.again at end of year when clearing out shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Get the galvanised sheep hurles instead it you can afford too. There mustn’t be w whole lot in the difference when all is said and done. We had timber ones that we tied with twine for a few years. They are heavy, they can break easily and not as long lasting. You will thank yourself during lambing time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Get the galvanised sheep hurles instead it you can afford too. There mustn’t be w whole lot in the difference when all is said and done. We had timber ones that we tied with twine for a few years. They are heavy, they can break easily and not as long lasting. You will thank yourself during lambing time

We bought 5ft wooden hurdles for 10euro which is cheap compared to paying 30euro for steel, but when you account for hardship, the steel ones are well worth the money, no twine, no gates falling over, no heavy lifting, no boards falling off thus w'll be investing inbsteel ones this year.

On a side note anyone any experience with buffalo steel products?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭joe35

Made a few here. Had steel straps left over from building the house. Just looped them round, keep the left one's up an inch or 2 higher than on the right on each one. Work grand with a bit of bar down the middle. Any sort of a strap would do rightly. Alot cheaper then the eye bolts

Advertisement