Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Green, yellow ground covering

Options
  • 14-11-2017 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the horrible babies nappy yellow ground covering in College Green is permanent or not ?

It looks really sloppy and is already getting quite dirty as its a horrible yellow colour :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Noticed the same at the Junction of Grafton st and Stephen's Green.

I would doubt it's permanent but when you see the embarrassing state of the new cheap paving on Grafton st + this it's enough to turn your face red when tourists see the state of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

Not permanent but with the announcement that the College Green pedestrianization works have been delayed until April 2018 (6 months)..we'll have to live with it at least until then. Then the actual works will probably take another 4-6months i'd imagine so College Green will continue to be in a state of flux/ disrepair until 2019 i'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

karma_coma wrote: »
    Not permanent but with the announcement that the College Green pedestrianization works have been delayed until April 2018 (6 months)..we'll have to live with it at least until then. Then the actual works will probably take another 4-6months i'd imagine so College Green will continue to be in a state of flux/ disrepair until 2019 i'd bet.

Seems as if the entire city is stuck in a perpetual state of ugliness forever with these projects which are always far in the future and the disruption they cause is simply replaced by another project

Anyway, I dont know why grafton street isnt replaced with cobblestones. They look lovely and historic, tourists love them. No cars or bikes on the road so thats not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

wakka12 wrote: »

Seems as if the entire city is stuck in a perpetual state of ugliness forever with these projects which are always far in the future and the disruption they cause is simply replaced by another project

Anyway, I dont know why grafton street isnt replaced with cobblestones. They look lovely and historic, tourists love them. No cars or bikes on the road so thats not a problem

You obviously haven't pushed a buggy/pram on cobblestones !! Or a wheelchair for that matter

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The delivery trucks in the mornings would have them ruined plus they are not the easiest for walking on as the previous poster has pointed out. Nice to look at, but not at all practical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

.....cobblestones. They look lovely and historic, tourists love them.

This sounds like a quote from Father Ted or something.

miamee wrote: »
    The delivery trucks in the mornings would have them ruined plus they are not the easiest for walking on as the previous poster has pointed out. Nice to look at, but not at all practical.

They dont necessarily have to be the big cobbles with large gaps between stones like in templebar. The luas tracks have flat cobbles on them and look great

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Honest to god, I get the 39a to college, and it's been well over 3 years since the last time I got it on the original route. Anyone know where you'd get a list of the works that are going on in Dublin, planned completion, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm grand with the temporary yellow to be honest. My problem is it's no looking like there'll be no punishment for whoever is responsible for vandalising Grafton st with that cheap grey stuff that stains like an old carpet. How long will that be there? I'd suggest that get dug up and replaced with a higher quality product as part of the same contract as College Green and Suffolk st. surfacing. It is our premier destination for shopping and footfall in general it should have some money spent on it, the cheap stuff can go on lightly trafficked footpaths in other locations.

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'm grand with the temporary yellow to be honest. My problem is it's no looking like there'll be no punishment for whoever is responsible for vandalising Grafton st with that cheap grey stuff that stains like an old carpet. How long will that be there? I'd suggest that get dug up and replaced with a higher quality product as part of the same contract as College Green and Suffolk st. surfacing. It is our premier destination for shopping and footfall in general it should have some money spent on it, the cheap stuff can go on lightly trafficked footpaths in other locations.

I think that stone on grafton street currently was part of a 4 million euro redevelopment less than 2 years ago.so I doubt youll be seeing a replacement with a higher quality material for quite some time!

I dont think it looks too bad anyway. But the red brick that was there before had a bit more character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Am I the only person who thinks the current Grafton St paving is an improvement on the horrible old redbrick?

Especially the white bits which threatened to break your ankle any time there was rain or a bit of frost!

Nasty cheap 80s muck which far outlived its design lifetime, they didn't consider that this 'pedestrian' street has to handle delivery vehicles before 9AM.

Once the new stone darkens (and provided they don't powerhose it) it'll be grand.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No joined up planning/thinking.Luas CC and College Green works should all have been planned as one project .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Am I the only person who thinks the current Grafton St paving is an improvement on the horrible old redbrick?

I agree with you. There is enough colour in the shopfronts and the new paving looks much neater. The crooked redbrick just made Grafton St look like a High Street in a provincial British town. You can still see it in side streets, it looks dire in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NiceLynchi

Ask myself the same question today...looks absolutely horrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NiceLynchi

Totally agree with you...Can't count how many times I slipped and almost fell on these...The yellow, however, looks horrible too. But if it's just temporary, I guess we can all live with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Especially the white bits which threatened to break your ankle any time there was rain or a bit of frost!

Nasty cheap 80s muck which far outlived its design lifetime, they didn't consider that this 'pedestrian' street has to handle delivery vehicles before 9AM.

Once the new stone darkens (and provided they don't powerhose it) it'll be grand.

"It'll be grand". Is that the level we're aiming for probably Ireland's most famous shopping street? At least the old red brick had character. The new grey is really drab. Just compare these two images and tell me the the newer paving is better:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3403821,-6.2607892,3a,75y,355.39h,75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfy_NXbD6MQWVeJ5iT5Z7-g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3403939,-6.2607873,3a,75y,355.39h,75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sodnEDaDxZrbE2W9S75lzYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Although admittedly the white bits were lethal in the rain...

Advertisement