Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Therapeutic Benifits. Arguing on Boards.ie

• 14-11-2017 10:09am

Do you relish arguing with people on Boards? Are there any therapeutic benefits attached?

All comments welcome. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No. A lot of the people arguing are just mindless victims of the outrage virus. You won't change their views by arguing with them and therefore there's no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You're all cnuts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I relish them like I relish a kick in the cock. They're usually tedious, lengthy and ultimately futile, to the point you wonder what the point is. I can hold my own for a few responses, but when it gets to the point where the other person quotes your long post in about nine different segments, meaning you have to respond to nine different points, then I tend to throw in the towel. No offence to anyone who does take this approach - I appreciate it's necessary sometimes - but I just can't be arsed, not unless it's something I'm hugely passionate about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

No. A lot of the people arguing are just mindless victims of the outrage virus. You won't change their views by arguing with them and therefore there's no point.

Take that back :mad:

Hammer89 wrote: »
    ...I relish a kick in the cock... They're usually tedious, lengthy and ultimately futile

Well my yoke isn't any of those things (esp. lengthy :( ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

You're all cnuts. :D

Discuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

1984_015Pyxurz.0.0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

There's debating where you might learn something new, which is beneficial and there is arguing where both sides have firmly entrenched opinions and are unwilling to learn anything new. You learn to see the difference quickly here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I never give opinions and I never state views, after all you can't be sure that what they say is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Should be a self quoting thread for all the dumb bastids to out dumb themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Should be a self quoting thread for all the dumb bastids to out dumb themselves.

Yeah +1m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Fake news is the whinge of the ignorant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm actually one of the 3 people on boards that wants to learn and be enlightened from another viewpoint.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There was one fantastic thread a few years back where a few die-hard anti-MMA posters basically admitted they never really watched the sport. By the end of it they were happy to take a closer look and educate themselves instead of mouthing off like the callers to Liveline that week. Not that they became fans of MMA themselves, but at least they could appreciate the reasons why others might love it.

That's the kind of argument that we can really benefit from, one where everyone learns something from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm actually one of the 3 people on boards that wants to learn and be enlightened from another viewpoint.

/unzips trousers

I have an enlightening view point for you right here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

/unzips trousers

I have an enlightening view point for you right here.

Ah, I'm enlightened, I thought micro penises where a myth! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I relish them like I relish a kick in the cock.

Ouch.
    They're usually tedious, lengthy and ultimately futile, to the point you wonder what the point is. I can hold my own

Hold your own what?
    for a few responses, but when it gets to the point where the other person quotes your long post in about nine different segments, meaning you have to respond to nine different points, then I tend to throw in the towel.

They're called multi-quotes.
    No offence to anyone who does take this approach - I appreciate it's necessary sometimes - but I just can't be arsed, not unless it's something I'm hugely passionate about.

100% of people that use them are cocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I don't know if they are therapeutic for people op but I've definitely thought of this scene a few times when reading some of the more chaotic threads :/ :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I don't know if they are therapeutic for people op but I've definitely thought of this scene a few times when reading some of the more chaotic threads :/ :pac:

I don't think I've ever seen a more apt analogy for modern Internet discourse than that scene. It's brilliant. You've got the perfect mirror there for YouTube comments, TheJournal, Twitter, Facebook, everything. It even has Doc Brown as the WUM/troll causing chaos for his own amusement. Just brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Do you relish arguing with people on Boards?
    Nope. It's a complete waste of time when you think about it. Two people with polar opposite views - nothing will be resolved. You won't change that person's views, nor will they change yours.
    Are there any therapeutic benefits attached? .
    The therapeutic benefits come when you completely ignore someone that quotes you in a counter argument / view, but you've no respect for them as a poster.

No point getting your knickers in a twist. I do think some people need to take a breather and walk away from the site for a bit though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

No, I hate arguing. That's why I come along, state my opinion and usually feck off then because I'm not interested in having a tedious never ending debate about it where I don't actually change the other person's mind and they don't change mine either. Usually with some contrary fcuker who'd argue that the sky isn't blue.

No, I hate arguing. That's why I come along, state my opinion and usually feck off then because I'm not interested in having a tedious never ending debate about it where I don't actually change the other person's mind and they don't change mine either. Usually with someone who'd argue that the sky isn't blue.

the sky is not blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

the sky is not blue

giphy.gif

:pac:

Everyone knows it's the roundhouse kick that wins.

giphy.gif

• Lorelli! wrote: »

Hilarious in a sad way. It's all there Lorelli. Yes indeed, it's all there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I like to go to the end of a long thread and try to guess what the original post was about. I don't argue on Boards, usually someone has the same point of view so no need to wade in.

Anyone that disagrees with me is wrong and should feel bad*.

*I hope you're impressed with my deliberate lack of direct quoting; it's highly passive aggressive and very satisfying to do

• cbreeze wrote: »
    I like to go to the end of a long thread and try to guess what the original post was about. I don't argue on Boards, usually someone has the same point of view so no need to wade in.

Thats a very good philosophy. I was just about to get stuck into a good old argument elsewhere, but I'll hang back now and wait until the thread has lost its rage.

I'll call in on one of me neglected pals and go for a walk and a coffee instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Do you relish arguing with people on Boards? Are there any therapeutic benefits attached?

As someone who would be called (though I do not use the term to describe myself) atheist there are not many thing I worship in life.

But I do "worship" human discourse. I think it is the only way we can ever hope to over come our differences on any level.... individual or cultural or at the level of societies.

But also as a learning tool one can refine one's ideas by putting them out to the scrutiny and critique of others.

So I do not argue for the sake of argument, as I have sometimes been accused. Rather I robustly put forward my views, and the arguments for them, in the hope of testing their mettle by striking them against hard resistance.

And in a world where people seem to never want to be wrong, seen to be wrong, or admit to being wrong........... I think being shown to be wrong in discourse is one of the most wonderful things that can happen to you. Because you learn something new AND get rid of something erroneous in one move.

A point I think that is missed by people who double down on their errors or failures, and defend them to the last.

So yes I relish debate, and hope daily to benefit from it, or that others benefit from it too.
    I can hold my own for a few responses, but when it gets to the point where the other person quotes your long post in about nine different segments

I am guilty as charged of that one. Over time though some people have shown me the error of that and I TRY (sometimes fail) to minimize as much as I can how much I do it.

What I have realized is that the QUOTE function, like any other linguistic or formatting tool, is very very useful if used in moderation but becomes the opposite if over used.

Similar example, I sometimes STRESS my words with caps. Which if I do it once or twice in a post is fine. But we have all seen those posts where the USER SHOUTS EVERY word in A SENTENCE AS MUCH as they posssible CAN NO MATTER HOW SILLY it looks.

Any linguistic or formatting or rhetorical tool over used negates and even reverses it's own utility. And I am still learning that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

No, I hate arguing. That's why I come along, state my opinion and usually feck off then because I'm not interested in having a tedious never ending debate about it where I don't actually change the other person's mind and they don't change mine either. Usually with some contrary fcuker who'd argue that the sky isn't blue.

Yeah same here, I'm quite happy to state my opinion on a subject but I'm not going to argue with someone about it. I think some people on here have a way too much time on there hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

It's rare I bother my hole arguing on boards; or in life really.

If I do it's probably PMS. (Not joking).

I actually learn a fair amount here. My opinion on a lot of subjects has been changed here. And even if not changed, I've often been able to see things from another viewpoint from reading threads.

Basically I'm a lover not a fighter.

Too lazy to be the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I love a good argument me ...more likely to cause them tbh. .and frankly, that's what AH is all about, else we'd all be circle jerking each other off singing Kumbayah and there's no fun in that now is there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I love a good argument me ...more likely to cause them tbh. .and frankly, that's what AH is all about, else we'd all be circle jerking each other off singing Kumbayah and there's no fun in that now is there!

Kicking off an argument is a different thing entirely to being involved in one :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Everyone knows it's the roundhouse kick that wins.

giphy.gif

I hate when people call that a roundhouse kick! It’s a reverse kick! :mad:

:p

faceman wrote: »
    I hate when people call that a roundhouse kick! It’s a reverse kick! :mad:

What's this one called?

chuck-norris-super-kick.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

As someone who would be called (though I do not use the term to describe myself) atheist there are not many thing I worship in life.

But I do "worship" human discourse. I think it is the only way we can ever hope to over come our differences on any level.... individual or cultural or at the level of societies.

But also as a learning tool one can refine one's ideas by putting them out to the scrutiny and critique of others.

So I do not argue for the sake of argument, as I have sometimes been accused. Rather I robustly put forward my views, and the arguments for them, in the hope of testing their mettle by striking them against hard resistance.

And in a world where people seem to never want to be wrong, seen to be wrong, or admit to being wrong........... I think being shown to be wrong in discourse is one of the most wonderful things that can happen to you. Because you learn something new AND get rid of something erroneous in one move.

A point I think that is missed by people who double down on their errors or failures, and defend them to the last.

So yes I relish debate, and hope daily to benefit from it, or that others benefit from it too.

I am guilty as charged of that one. Over time though some people have shown me the error of that and I TRY (sometimes fail) to minimize as much as I can how much I do it.

What I have realized is that the QUOTE function, like any other linguistic or formatting tool, is very very useful if used in moderation but becomes the opposite if over used.

Similar example, I sometimes STRESS my words with caps. Which if I do it once or twice in a post is fine. But we have all seen those posts where the USER SHOUTS EVERY word in A SENTENCE AS MUCH as they posssible CAN NO MATTER HOW SILLY it looks.

Any linguistic or formatting or rhetorical tool over used negates and even reverses it's own utility. And I am still learning that myself.

db9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

^None of this I actually said / say of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What the fcuk is that supposed to mean????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There are certain topics that'll tickle my fancy where I'll always go in and say my bit. I'll always listen to the other side though and rarely argue. Anything sassy can always be neutralised with one of these --> :pac:
    Sure tis only a bit of craic, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Kicking off an argument is a different thing entirely to being involved in one :pac:

Well, i do like to start and then after a few pages change to the opposing side....and then back again a page or 2 later.... confuses the hell out of some people :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No-one ever changes their mind on Boards, but it's an enjoyable challenge to try to articulate your own arguments as best you can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What's this one called?

chuck-norris-super-kick.gif

That’s called a gobshoite kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

It can be entertaining to try and write a well crafted post that gets your opinion across clearly.
    It gets tedious though and sometimes after stating an opinion i can't be bothered any further.

You ever met people in real life that love a good argument? Christ they're bores and incredibly annoying.
    Went out with a girl like that once.
    You say something innocuous and suddenly you are in a position were you have to defend an opinion you don't even really care about.
    I'm not even talking about important stuff eg "All fish tastes the same" god what a joy it was debating that throwaway comment.

Advertisement