Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Gaimon's accusations against Cancellara - mod note post #5

Options
  • 14-11-2017 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

At extract taken from his recent book "Phil Gaimon's Draft Animals: Living the Pro Cycling Dream"

"When you watch the footage, his accelerations (Cancellara) don't look natural at all, like he's having trouble staying on the top of the pedals. That ****er probably did have a motor," Gaimon writes.

This is the attack that he's talking about (@2:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-oHTCgR84

Hope he's wrong and just trying to sell books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Nothing new in what Gaimon has suggested, as far back as 2010 itself, Davide Cassani used the footage of Cancellara to suggest hidden motors were already in use. I think Gaimon will have been careful with his words or had a lawyer look over them - he, nor the publishers, can have expected such a comment to slip by without being challenged.

While the footage from P-R & Flanders (especially the bit on the Muur when he dropped Boonen) is 'interesting' it of itself is going to be of no use as evidence that Cancellara was motor-doping. E3 Harelbeke in 2011 was another mooted as questionable. I watched that race live that day and it was an extraordinary performance. But time and again Cancellara rode guys off his wheels. It's hard to see that there was funny business going on, despite questioned bike changes, when another mechanic in the team give his opinion. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/former-saxo-bank-mechanic-defends-cancellara-against-motor-doping-claims/

I hope not......but we've all been down the road of placing false faith in our heroes before, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

What I don't follow is Gaimon's comment about "an absolute clickbait", which seems a contradiction to his opinion that Cancellara cheated.
    "I do think it happened that year a couple times, but as soon as somebody noticed and it became a story nobody did it again. I think it's an absolute clickbait, red herring – even up to the new UCI president [David Lappartient] who is acting like it's a big issue that he is going to get to the bottom of. Anyone on the inside knows it's a joke."

As to whether Cancellara used a motor or not, well I wouldn't be surprised at anything at this stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod note - i'll just paste the forum rules in here regarding talk about doping - you're probably all aware of them anyway; so no suggestion or speculation if it's just your own hunch, please:

6. Doping

No speculation over potential doping offenders - Comment on information (including press articles) in the public domain is OK, but allegations must be verifiable with information that is in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Had a giggle to some of these especially the cyclocross ones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6w3TJs0lks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

...think this is tomorrow? The big race! :)

Phil's build-up is very entertaining!

Loved his book...must have been the fastest book I've read (i.e. couldn't put it down).

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

andy69 wrote: »

Loved his book...must have been the fastest book I've read (i.e. couldn't put it down).

:D

is that the $10 a day book or the last one ..can't remember the name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

devonp wrote: »
    is that the $10 a day book or the last one ..can't remember the name of it

"Draft Animals" it's called....great read :-) I'm going to get that $10 one as well though

Here's the result from today...

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/the-cancellara-gaimon-fondo-face-off-a-pretentiously-exclusive-account/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

given his route to the pros all his books are great. I never read his blog but that sounded good based on the book itself.

He beat Cancellara today. Video coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

I've all his books, great reads, very interesting to see what its like from the bottom of the pile and not one of the big names. His youtube channel is quite entertaining too. He is doing better now then when he was cycling money wise by all accounts and good luck to him!

Mind you, I had all of that twat from Texas' books too..........w@*nker, still want my money back on them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement