Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanely annoying iOS 11 feature

Options
  • 14-11-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Where is the Now Playing for podcasts? 

On iOS 10 you could swipe up, and whatever was playing you could pause, skip forwards or backwards 15 seconds. 

Now that feature only exists for music, and it's insanely annoying!

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

parc wrote: »
    Hi there

On iOS 10 you could swipe up, and whatever was playing you could pause, skip forwards or backwards 15 seconds. 

Is this for Apple’s podcast app? Because I use RSSRadio for my podcasts and the ‘now playing’ feature is there, although you swipe down as opposed to up.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

parc wrote: »
    Hi there

I can still do this in in the Podcast App and from the control panel. In the podcast app, there's a little banner with what is playing, swipe up on that and you can skip back or forward. When not in the app, if you swipe up and get the control panel (with airplane mode, wi-fi, torch etc) I have a small square on the top right which describes what's playing as well as giving me a pause button and a skip forward and skip back button. I can also press on this square and it pops out to a larger Now Playing where I can control the volume, pause, skip forward or backwards and a slider showing the length of the podcast that you can drag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The podcast app is a travesty. It's like a maze that keeps moving walls around on you. Every time you think you understand the flow you end up in some obscure page that cannily hides the functions you want.

And Apple made the touch target for the play/pause button in the control center so small, skipping forward and backwards accidentally is now not just reserved for those with fat fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

You think that’s annoying? What about the iOS11 WiFi Control Centre “feature”. Turning on and off WiFi in the control centre just disconnects from the current WiFi network. WiFi will still be on and still search for networks. The only way of turning off WiFi properly is to go into settings. This “feature” was added so that Airdrop would be an opt out feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BBMcQ wrote: »
    You think that’s annoying? What about the iOS11 WiFi Control Centre “feature”. Turning on and off WiFi in the control centre just disconnects from the current WiFi network. WiFi will still be on and still search for networks. The only way of turning off WiFi properly is to go into settings. This “feature” was added so that Airdrop would be an opt out feature.

Really don't see the major issue with this.

Wifi battery drain when not in use is minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I’m an extremely reluctant iOS user (work phone, mandatory Apple) at the best of times, but even by my relatively low expectations the new podcast app is a mess. No ability to differentiate between subscribed casts and one off listens is a pet peeve.

Downloaded Podbean and finding it fairly good so far.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really don't see the major issue with this.

Wifi battery drain when not in use is minimal.
    The question is this: Since its introduction, why have people been toggling on/off wifi in the control centre?

(1) Disconnect from a particular wifi signal, or
    (2) Turn off wifi.

I suspect the answer is overwhelmingly (2).

For some even a marginal gain in battery life is important. Regardless, Apple replaced a function that people actually used, by solving a problem that nobody really cared about.

They could easily have used the force-touch wifi menu in control centre to offer the option to turn off wifi completely, but they didn't even do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the control centre change is about making sure wireless accessories such as Airpods and the Apple Watch stay connected to your iPhone and that GPS can keep track of your location without using excessive battery. Personally I only ever used the control centre toggle to disconnect from WiFi. The only reason to turn WiFi off completely is to save battery, right? But the drain on newer devices is minimal as murpho said.

Re: the OP's question, the control centre "now playing" controls you describe still work but they are buggy and often don't show the currently playing app. Quitting the apps in question or restarting will fix it.

I think the control centre change is about making sure wireless accessories such as Airpods and the Apple Watch stay connected to your iPhone and that GPS can keep track of your location without using excessive battery.
    Doesn't the "switch off" bluetooth option disconnect you from whatever you're connected to? I still don't get why that's particularly useful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dades wrote: »
    Doesn't the "switch off" bluetooth option disconnect you from whatever you're connected to? I still don't get why that's particularly useful.

Afaik the control centre Bluetooth toggle only disconnects third part accessories. Apple Watch, Pencil, and features like Continuity/Handoff are excluded. I assumed Airpods were as well, but it seems not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement