Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rude to ask about Travel Expenses

• 14-11-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey,

So I've got a few interviews coming up, just wondering if its rude to ask if they will cover my expenses. For my internship interviews the companies paid for my expenses. For the interviews coming up I have to travel a lot, a few in Dublin, Cork, Kilkenny etc. and it'll cost a lot, so I may have to prioritize.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

It's rare for companies to offer reimbursement nowadays. Extremely rare I would think.

Are these for more internships or paying roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jacknuig

It's rare for companies to offer reimbursement nowadays. Extremely rare I would think.

Are these for more internships or paying roles?

Paying roles. Graduate programmes in 2018 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

My younger brother was reimbursed when called to an graduate role interview in the UK about 6 years ago.

It's worth asking, but I would ask the companies that you won't be able to travel to unless reimbursed.

No point (potentially) making a poor impression on the companies you're most interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I would never expect the Company to pay for me to attend an interview. If you were being headhunted then perhaps, but if you're applying for jobs then you're really implying that you're willing to attend their premises for an interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,037 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I would never expect the Company to pay for me to attend an interview. If you were being headhunted then perhaps, but if you're applying for jobs then you're really implying that you're willing to attend their premises for an interview.

Agree, I've always had an approach that if you applied for the role, you pay to go for the interview.

I think asking to be reimbursed would be similar to opening the interview with asking about pay and bonuses, it most likely wouldn't be looked on favorably. You need to consider graduate position interviews in the context of the best role for your career development, not saving a couple hundred euro in attending the interview.

• Advertisement

I would agree but graduate roles seem to be different, companies are aware that the candidates may be short on funds.

Just look at EY offering interest free loans to new graduates to help with getting settled in Dublin.

Not really the same situation but it shows that the purse strings are loosened in order to attract the best candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

There's no harm in quietly asking I suppose. Mention that you have just come from an x month long, unpaid internship and you're not swimming in cash. When they respond that they don't, just confirm that you'll be there.

A professional outfit should not hold asking such a question against you, but the interview rituals are strange.

There's no harm in quietly asking I suppose. Mention that you have just come from an x month long, unpaid internship and you're not swimming in cash. When they respond that they don't, just confirm that you'll be there.

A professional outfit should not hold asking such a question against you, but the interview rituals are strange.

Its unlikely that the person/panel interviewing the OP will even be aware that the question was asked.

They could be dealing with 100's of applicants at this stage.

Advertisement