Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth claiming insurance on minor damage.

Options
  • 14-11-2017 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭

Will keep this brief but I was driving in this morning and was trying to make it through the gate in work but due to the darkness I didn't see how close I was to the gate plinth until it was too late. Car suffered some scratch marks on the door and a bit of the bottom got buckled. Was looking at a quote of €500 odd for repairs.

I'm more than able to pay out of my own pocket if needs be but I'm not sure if its worth claiming on the insurance as it's a shared car and I dont want the insurance going up alot over a single mistake. Anyone got any idea on something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Excess + potential premium bump = Answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Short answer would be that you be more out of pocket if you go through your insurance than if you pay it yourself,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Short answer would be that you be more out of pocket if you go through your insurance than if you pay it yourself,

Yeah I had a feeling that this might be an issue. Been driving a few years now and this is the first time something happened to me. Was trying to avoid the part of the gate that could scratch the bottom of the car because its small but scraped the wall instead! -.-

Ah well thats life I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Infini wrote: »
    I'm more than able to pay out of my own pocket
    There's your answer.

Leave the insurance for when they can add value; when you can't afford it or when you need them to chase someone else for payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

endacl wrote:
    Excess + potential premium bump = Answer.

Plus for the next five years you have to answer yes to the question on every insurance quote about claims in the last five years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement