Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugee Family Reunification

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Ibraham's sisters will be happy !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

....o god jesus no....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Fake News

1 bogus refugee is bad enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Can there be a third option "not a fcking chance, over my dead body" please ???

hawkelady wrote: »
    Ibraham's sisters will be happy looking for something else to whine about !!!

FYP there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

It’s such a spectacularly stupid idea that you would have to worry about the motive behind it. When you look at the potential size of the extended family from the countries that they come from, it's beyond just a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Only children under 18 of the refugee and his/her married partner
    Reuniting their extended family seems just ridiculous and unfeasible

It’s such a spectacularly stupid idea that you would have to worry about the motive behind it. When you look at the potential size of the extended family from the countries that they come from, it's beyond just a bad idea.

We should send out a letter to them places -

"Dear foriegners, if you intend to been in a nasty aul war at any stage in the future, cut down on the sprogs"

wakka12 wrote: »

How many wives though ???? This could still be 15-20 souls.

Whoever is the mother of the children, I think in those polygmaous marriages theres usually just one mother of the children? but not sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I wonder where they intend housing them if the bill passes. Direct provision is nearly at capacity and in case these geniuses have missed it there is a housing shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's fairly alarmist. There's nothing to suggest they're proposing that people can be reunified with their extended family.

The proposal is simply to extend the ability of reunification to
    "(e) any grandparent, parent, brother, sister, child, grandchild, ward or guardian of the sponsor who is dependent on the qualified person or is suffering from a mental or physical disability to such extent that it is not reasonable for him or her to maintain himself or herself fully."

That is, anyone who is dependent on the person. Seems reasonable.

It'll likely be modified in later stages to clarify what "dependent" means so that people aren't bringing over their able-bodied 35 year old children.

seamus wrote: »
    It's fairly alarmist.

The proposal is simply to extend the ability of reunification to
    "(e) any grandparent, parent, brother, sister, child, grandchild, ward or guardian of the sponsor who is dependent on the qualified person or is suffering from a mental or physical disability to such extent that it is not reasonable for him or her to maintain himself or herself fully."

That is, anyone who is dependent on the person. Seems reasonable.

It'll likely be modified in later stages to clarify what "dependent" means so that people aren't bringing over their able-bodied 35 year old children.

You could make the case that any grandparent is dependent on you for instance

Polygamy is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

where will they live? we cant even house our own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

wrote:
    Do you have link as this is not in the article ? They can claim dependence I don't see any difference .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I have no issue taking in anyone fleeing war,if they make roots/lives for themself,not againest letting them stay

But this is ridcolus to be looking to bring in people and the war over. ...if anything I'd taught their refugee status could be at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ridiculous notion. Aside from the fact that we have enough problems trying to house our own, how do they propose to pay for these people who will inevitably end up dependent on the State to feed/house/support them possibly indefinitely.

I keep saying this - we're a small island nation of 4.5 million people with significant infrastructure, economic and social issues as it is (and stuff like Brexit on the horizon which will probably make things worse in the short-medium term).
    Sort out the problems here before we start trying to sort out the problems elsewhere (and which we have no obligation for). Charity begins at home and there's more than enough deserving cases if there's suddenly resources to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

We need to get rid of the Seanad

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I wonder where they intend housing them if the bill passes. Direct provision is nearly at capacity and in case these geniuses have missed it there is a housing shortage.
    Not an issue when you are just showing off how virtuous and caring you are. Consequences are not a consideration especially when it won't effect you directly.

• Advertisement

Well had the chance with the referendum. In our collective wisdom we decided to give Enda a kicking instead.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Reuniting their extended family seems just ridiculous and unfeasible
    [PHP]

When considering this option think of Sr Zappone of the bearded 'children'.

hawkelady wrote:
    Ibraham's sisters will be happy !!!

They are already citizens so will have no effect on them. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

quintana76 wrote: »
    Well had the chance with the referendum. In our collective wisdom we decided to give Enda a kicking instead.

Nope, most people recognize the value (in theory) of two houses of parliament.. the problem is the third option "reform it" wasn't offered by Enda.

That's what's needed... not give Leo and co even more of a free hand then they already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Does this imply that those with refugee status are here on a permanent basis?

Does this imply that those with refugee status are here on a permanent basis?

I never thought otherwise to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Ballaghaderreen

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    Ballaghaderreen

Have you been there? Seems to me it was done to encourage them to want to go back to Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ridiculous notion. Aside from the fact that we have enough problems trying to house our own, how do they propose to pay for these people who will inevitably end up dependent on the State to feed/house/support them possibly indefinitely.

I keep saying this - we're a small island nation of 4.5 million people with significant infrastructure, economic and social issues as it is (and stuff like Brexit on the horizon which will probably make things worse in the short-medium term).
    Sort out the problems here before we start trying to sort out the problems elsewhere (and which we have no obligation for). Charity begins at home and there's more than enough deserving cases if there's suddenly resources to spare.

charity doesn't begin at home as we have systems to deal with our issues.

we don't.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

charity doesn't begin at home as we have systems to deal with our issues.

nope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement