Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugee Family Reunification

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

there is no such thing as virtue-signalling.

they are sent home after the danger has passed.

They will not go home, why do you think its mainly men who came into Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is a committment we have to the UN refugee resettlement program AFAIK. We have agreed to obligations under it, as have other countries also.

It is unfortunate that this is happening at a time when our own people cannot be housed, so naturally there will be a huge backlash.

The way I look at it is, at least this crop of refugees from Syria etc. were vetted by the UN and selected for resettlement, and didn't just turn up having fallen off a boat.

Can anyone see my POV?

I do agree that after a certain time, say when Syria is rebuilding itself, they can go home, even if we have to pay for their journey etc. I would say that is what most of them really want anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,400 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This is a committment we have to the UN refugee resettlement program AFAIK. We have agreed to obligations under it, as have other countries also.

It is unfortunate that this is happening at a time when our own people cannot be housed, so naturally there will be a huge backlash.

The way I look at it is, at least this crop of refugees from Syria etc. were vetted by the UN and selected for resettlement, and didn't just turn up having fallen off a boat.

Can anyone see my POV?

I do agree that after a certain time, say when Syria is rebuilding itself, they can go home, even if we have to pay for their journey etc. I would say that is what most of them really want anyway.

Ya once they are happy to be settled here and are just great up to have a roof over there head I'm fine with that.

I don't have problem helping people in need. Agree it's better then ones coming here expecting everything for nothing while play PlayStation all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Gatling wrote: »
    5000 + refugees currently here ,
    Allow parents, grandparents,aunt's and uncles to come and stay too we then have the 5000 X 4,5,6 times that figure with no where to whenever they all arrive ,

Absolutely stupid idea for anyone in government to back ,
    To just make statistics up is stupid...I'm not in favour of this....but peddling lies helps noone

In total, 1008 asylum seekers more than 15 different countries had their applications approved between 2010 and 2016.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dublinlive.ie/news/new-figures-show-irish-government-12723124.amp

Can anyone see my POV?

It costs something like €200,000 per refugee when they get here. Thats mental.
    Why cant we get all the people who wants refugees here to take 1 or 2 to house & feed. Pay them the same as the dole so they can pay rent. It would help them with there integration into Irish life. Maybe start up a website where people can put there name down & say how many they want to take
    So Liam (Cunningham) you've been saying the Irish people should take in as many refugees as is needed so how many would you like to take? You must have a spare room or 2, even the couch Liam??....................Liam??................................Liam????

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    They will not go home, why do you think its mainly men who came into Europe?

This is a selected cohort, vetted and chosen by the UN refugee resettlement program. I am OK with that. I am hopeful that it will not be permanent. Who would want to live in this climate forever after the sunshine of the Middle East. :p

Most of the boat men are in Germany. Italy funnels them onwards and upwards towards Merkel.

Can anyone see my POV?

Problem is they are more than likely going to be young men, no women, no children

To just make statistics up is stupid...I'm not in favour of this....but peddling lies helps noone

In total, 1008 asylum seekers more than 15 different countries had their applications approved between 2010 and 2016.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dublinlive.ie/news/new-figures-show-irish-government-12723124.amp

But still 1008 X 10 is over 10,000 whatever way you look at it

Problem is they are more than likely going to be young men, no women, no children

Not correct. Mostly families. Now they will be allowed to bring grandparents, and brothers sisters who are dependent on them over.

I am sure the UN is funding a lot of this, not just ourselves. All we have to give is a bit of a welcome.

They will all head back eventually. They have been carefully selected for this reason I think. Temporary asylum from war.

This is a selected cohort, vetted and chosen by the UN refugee resettlement program. I am OK with that. I am hopeful that it will not be permanent. Who would want to live in this climate forever after the sunshine of the Middle East. :p

Most of the boat men are in Germany. Italy funnels them onwards and upwards towards Merkel.

I wish I could believe that but they wont leave & they wont be asked to leave either

• Advertisement

Not correct. Mostly families. Now they will be allowed to bring grandparents, and brothers sisters who are dependent on them over.

I am sure the UN is funding a lot of this, not just ourselves. All we have to give is a bit of a welcome.

They will all head back eventually. They have been carefully selected for this reason I think. Temporary asylum from war.

There is no war in most of Syria all the so called refugees are the rich people from the country, they will not go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

(b) In paragraph (a), “dependent member of the family”, in relation to a refugee, means any grandparent, parent, brother, sister, child, grandchild, ward or guardian of the refugee who is dependent on the refugee or is suffering from a mental or physical disability to such extent that it is not reasonable for him or her to maintain himself or herself fully.

The law from 1996 to 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I thought the tide had turned in Syria. Syrian refugees should now be looking to return home to rebuild their country. That's what a refugee does.

Or is that the vast majority of people caught up in this mess are not Syrian or refugees in the first place.

(b) In paragraph (a), “dependent member of the family”, in relation to a refugee, means any grandparent, parent, brother, sister, child, grandchild, ward or guardian of the refugee who is dependent on the refugee or is suffering from a mental or physical disability to such extent that it is not reasonable for him or her to maintain himself or herself fully.

The law from 1996 to 2016.

Yeah so we end up paying pensions to people who never contributed, benefits, disability etc more strain on the HSE, more homelessness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭Odhinn

topper75 wrote: »
    Are some posters here suffering from some kind of unpatchable millenium bug where history begins in 2000?

We had our own wars here. Big families.

The people largely stayed here and saw it out.

What crap is this now? There isn't 40 million of irish descent in the US alone because people hung on to the aul sod
    What is it with the Syrians that they refuse to rebuild their land and throw themselves instead at the doorsteps of other nations, squawking with outstretched cupped hands.

O maybe it's the multi-faction and fairly murderous civil war.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought the tide had turned in Syria. Syrian refugees should now be looking to return home to rebuild their country. That's what a refugee does.

Or is that the vast majority of people caught up in this mess are not Syrian or refugees in the first place.

Many people fled because of Assad, they won't be able to go home now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The first wave was the men, the women and children follow later. It's a classic pattern and not unique to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Yeah so we end up paying pensions to people who never contributed, benefits, disability etc more strain on the HSE, more homelessness

The point is the law from 1996 allowed such family reunification and the SC said the minister can look at financial issues to refuse such reunification.

There is no war in most of Syria all the so called refugees are the rich people from the country, they will not go back

That country will take a while to recover, but it will.

What makes you think that a rich person in Syria could be as rich here? Not a chance, they will go back and build up their businesses and professions for their own compatriots and for themselves. That is what they know best. And the tax laws may be far more favourable for them compared to here too. The weather is nicer also. And they have loads of mosques there and lovely food that they like.

I bet most of them think they are in the UK. :eek:

That country will take a while to recover, but it will.

What makes you think that a rich person in Syria could be as rich here? Not a chance, they will go back and build up their businesses and professions for their own compatriots and for themselves. That is what they know best. And the tax laws may be far more favourable for them compared to here too. The weather is nicer also. And they have loads of mosques there and lovely food that they like.

I bet most of them think they are in the UK. :eek:

Unfortunately I was told in 2000 what was going to happen in Europe by an ex Muslim & it looks like what he said is coming true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You saying something doesn't exist doesn't make it so. How about answering the rest of my point though?

Really? As far as I'm aware there's no such plan.. the objective seems to be to encourage/enable them to resettle here and allow them to appeal every effort to return them (multiple times) from what we've seen already in the past.

the courts mostly reject the appeals. deportations from ireland are happening regularly, you just don't hear about it as it's not news worthy.
    Donal55 wrote: »
    Why do we give them citizenship so?

one has to apply for citizenship. some don't get it.
    PantsBliz wrote: »
    Actually they are not. How many Bosnians, etc, have been sent home?
    Syrian refugees are encouraged to apply for Irish citizenship and settle here by our representatives ie. Micheal Martin

Further, Syrian refugees are given accommodation from social housing stock after three months.
    This is a slap in the face to irish homeless, on the street, in hostels, hotels, on housing waiting lists for years.

it's not a slap in the face to irish homeless. homelessness is a separate issue. an issue which has many different factors and other complications involved depending on the person.
    @Kaiser. We should but when all our people are looked after. Not before.

I think the concept of "temporary" never existed tbh, once they're here, they're hard to shift.

their not hard to shift. the laws to allow removal exist and are enforced. not as much as you would like but that's your problem.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

When will Irish people wake up & see we are having our country sold off from under our feet.As long as our politicians are getting there 30 pieces of silver they dont care. They dont want to fix anything in the country because they know theres no point because we will end up a third world country soon enough. For every 1 refugee(migrants) you can add roughly 20
    We have had roughly 400 so called Syrians come here already with another 300 odd to come in January so that 700 x by 20 (will be more) = 14,000
    Where are they going to go? Are they all doctors/engineers or will it be like in the UK where over half will not work. Where will they find jobs?
    George Soros is funding most of the push for immigrants to Europe he wants Europe to take at least 1million a year. Poland has the right idea unfortunately our elected gobshiites will bend over backwards for the EU

the amount of syrians and other foreign nationals who have come to ireland are tiny in comparison to how many of our own have gone elsewhere. poland has foreign nationals dispite what all the fake news outlets will tell you. our government made the decisians to take in refugees, they are fully responsible for those decisians just like they are for any decisian they make. they don't want to fix anything because clearly it's not what the people want, continuously voting for parties who won't fix anything. you get what yu vote for.
    There is no war in most of Syria

yes there is
    all the so called refugees are the rich people from the country, they will not go back

i presume you have done evidence based research to be able to know for a fact which people are what?
    I thought the tide had turned in Syria.

no . it is getting there but it's not safe for rebuilding efforts to begin.

i presume you have done evidence based research to be able to know for a fact which people are what?

Well if traffickers are charging €10,000 per person then I would say they are not the poor of Syria
    In some cases the traffickers have asked for more money & the refugees were able to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What the hell are you talking about? The people stayed here after the wars because they didn't have much choice in the matter, when they did during the famine they fled in their droves.

What land are the Syrians supposed to be rebuilding? Lets not forget the whole war started because people wanted change and their protests were brutally put down by the same dictator who is now almost back in control after beating back an even more brutal regime.

So they never go back until the rebels control the entire country?

What I'm talking about is endgame as agreed by the big fish:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41953110

It's time to look at going home and rebuilding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭PantsBliz

it's not a slap in the face to irish homeless. homelessness is a separate issue. an issue which has many different factors and other complications involved depending on the person.
    Really? A significant chunk simply cannot afford accommodation as rents are at an all-time high.
    How come Syrian refugees are not treated like Irish citizens and told to sleep in a hostel or outside? How is it Syrians are guaranteed accommodation by Irish taxpayers? Why are there no Syrians sleeping on the street?

So they never go back until the rebels control the entire country?

What I'm talking about is endgame as agreed by the big fish:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41953110

It's time to look at going home and rebuilding.

clearly it's not time to look at going home and rebuilding. if it was then it would be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

if the refugee time has long past then we wouldn't have refugees.

The war is all but over there. If people are genuine, they will now seek to go home. If they are here for welfare, the will persist with a bogus claim.

clearly it's not time to look at going home and rebuilding. if it was then it would be happening.

Ah bless you really believe that dont you

PantsBliz wrote: »
    Really? A significant chunk simply cannot afford accommodation as rents are at an all-time high.
    How come Syrian refugees are not treated like Irish citizens and told to sleep in a hostel or outside? How is it Syrians are guaranteed accommodation by Irish taxpayers? Why are there no Syrians sleeping on the street?

how would i know. i presume it's part of our international obligations that refugees will be given basic accommodation. it also makes things easier for the authorities to keep tabs on them.
    The war is all but over there. If people are genuine, they will now seek to go home. If they are here for welfare, the will persist with a bogus claim.

the war is not all but over there. if people are genuine they will seek to go home when it is safe to do so, which it isn't currently. if someone puts in a bogus claim then it will be saw through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And those who fled Assad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement