Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quantity or quality?

• 14-11-2017 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

As I age like a fine wine I've found that I prefer to have a good version of something rather that a lot of inferior somethings. For example, drink. I used to be happy drinking a slab of cheap larger in the course of a night but these days I'm happier with a glass or two of a good whisky. Same with smoking. No longer a 40 cigarette a day man but one good cigar every few months.

I can't decide if my changing tastes are as a result of me getting older or of me having having the resources to pay for the finer things in life.

Does the move from quantity to quality affect anyone else and if so is it due to age or ability to buy*.

*Note that I find this quantity Vs quality thing is not limited to material things but also to friends and lovers.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Apart from romance, I'd go for quantity over quality every time. (I'm in my 50s, so no longer a spring chicken either :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The more I rationalise this to myself the more I think it's just me. If I remove the financial lure I find that I'd still opt for the quality. Say, for example, the butcher offers me 3 sirloins or 1 fillet. The cost is the same. I'd take the fillet.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

Once a King,
    Always a King.
    Once a night
    is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Whisky? Cigars?

You get to point where it's LSD or nothing.

Bloody kids...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

1 line of quality clean coke or 3 tabs of bathtub acid? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

3 tabs of bathtub acid every time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

In my youth yep I'd agree with ya but these days I need all the "pep in my step" I can get. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I was always more for quality but put it to the back of my mind in my youth, as I just could not afford the quality and had a 'make do' attitude. As I aged and had the resources I treated myself to the quality items and, in doing so, found there is often better value in the quality due to it's often greater longevity over the cheater quality products.

Furnishings, tools, clothing, household appliances, etc. have all been replaced with the more quality products and it's well worth it. But, as with much of life, you cut your cloth to match your means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

OldGoat wrote: »
    Say, for example, the butcher offers me 3 sirloins or 1 fillet. The cost is the same. I'd take the fillet.
    You'd rather have fillet on Monday, no meat on Tuesday, and no meat on Wednesday, than sirloin on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 talking boxing

i only steal the most expensive champagne

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    You'd rather have fillet on Monday, no meat on Tuesday, and no meat on Wednesday, than sirloin on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday?
    It's not about saving money, it about quality before quantity. I'd have the fillet on Monday, go back to the butcher on Tuesday and Wednesday and get some more meat.
    Put it this way, you go into a clothes shop and for the same price you can get two pair of cheap trousers or one pair of good quality. Bear in mind that you have loads of trousers at home you arn't stuck for trousers. This is not about frugality but about choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

OldGoat wrote: »
    It's not about saving money, it about quality before quantity. I'd have the fillet on Monday, go back to the butcher on Tuesday and Wednesday and get some more meat.
    So you'd prefer a fillet, a half-pound of sausages, and a chicken breast, to three sirloins?
    Or a fillet and two sirloins to three sirloins?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Quantity has a quality all its own.
    - Attributed to Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A larger quantity of quality is what one should be aiming for.

Advertisement