Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does it bother you if your child doesn't get a speaking role in school play?

• 14-11-2017 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I've just heard a couple of mothers in work getting genuinely upset because their children don't have anything to say in their forthcoming nativity plays.

At my niece's school every single child is given at least one line, which I think is nice.

I'm just wondering if many parents get annoyed or upset if their child is just a tree or something and doesn't have any lines?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I picket the school when mine doesn't get a speaking part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they must have very little to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I had a speaking part in mine circa 1988.

Third Shepherd: "Hey! Jeremiah! Wait for me!" (Exit stage)

The most poorly behaved boy in the class was given the part of GOD's voice. :D:D because it meant he could be backstage and therefore not drawing attention to himself.

A lot of the assignment of parts was politics in our school, whose parents the teacher was friendly with (Mary and Joseph), who were the messers (God, Third Shepherd) etc.

We didn't have trees though. It was all tea towels and dressing gowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

One of the mothers is thinking of 'having a word with the teacher' :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The kids may not want a line. I was quite happy being a quiet shepherd.

Still stole the show. How I wore the tea-towel spoke to the crowd in a way which words simply could not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To be honest, you could be putting some pressure on a kid who isn't confident enough in doing it in the first place. Some kids don't even like doing it. Just let them have a bit of time on the side of the stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Carra 8

I wouldn't allow mine in a play if I had kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I've no idea. At my niece's school so many of the children mumble their line reluctantly that no one can hear what they're saying. Some children are just not natural performers and would probably be just as happy being in a crowd scene with their parents waving from the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Participation medals... be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Ah stop.

Annoyed over a nativity play?

The kids are destined for disaster of their parents are upset about some thing so petty. Janey mackers.

Well, her child is going to have a tough aul life when he realises that mummy can't sort out all of life's problems for him.

Fcuk me. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

I know plenty of those parents.
    Heard 1 moan last xmas as her son didnt get to open a window on the advent calendar in the classroom.
    Its amazing to witness how pathetic they can be.
    Gotta pity their kids really, stupid crap like that bothering the parents more than the kid

Imagine saying to your child "that's a sh*t part, why did the teacher give you such a sh*t part?" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

It takes skill to be a tree in the corner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I'd love a mother in the school to say this to me. I'd laugh in her face :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It would depend on the kid; if I felt they were talented and the teacher was acting the maggot then I might be annoyed. I wouldn't do anything about it though, it would only embarrass the child.

Lux23 wrote: »
    It would depend on the kid; if I felt they were talented and the teacher was acting the maggot then I might be annoyed. I wouldn't do anything about it though, it would only embarrass the child.

Talented though?
    It's a school nativity. Not auditions for the X Factor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

"You look like a sheep, you sound like a sheep, you have a big future ahead of you."

louiswalsh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

My young lad was a rock one year. Not joking.

flatty wrote: »

:pac:

I love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was the narrator of the Nativity play one year

branie2 wrote: »
    I was the narrator of the Nativity play one year

Good for you branie.

2015 was it?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

At my niece's school every single child is given at least one line

Is that for the nerves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

FFS - I taught drama in a primary school for a year. You wouldn't believe the amount of Mammies & Daddies coming up to tell me that their little darling wanted to be X part or Y part in the end of school play. Oh do they? You should have said. I didn't realise your child was more important than the others :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

These are probably the parents that yap throughout the play until it's their child's part and they demand everyone else ssssshhhhhhhhh'ssssss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Good for you branie.

2015 was it?

:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

branie2 wrote: »

I take it David Attenborough won't be ****ting himself so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'd have been horrified if I had to be in a show. In fifth class of primary school, I was forced to be the back end of a donkey. At 44, I'm still not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I was banned from auditioning to be Our Lady as I was left handed!

I ended up being a sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd burn it down. Burn it all down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Banned for even auditioning ???? :eek: Did they think Our Lady was going to pay the inn keeper by cheque :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

In the film Love Actually, Emma Thompson 's child had the part of a lobster in the nativity..
    Don't think it was a talking lobster mind you..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9chdp8izEtk

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Maybe they could have 15 shepherds and 20 wise men and they all get to say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Remember being one of the seven dwarfs, dont remember that in the nativity story, maybe its what it was missing the whole time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Banned for even auditioning ???? :eek: Did they think Our Lady was going to pay the inn keeper by cheque :pac:

Nuns. 70s. Nuff said!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JamBur

I was a signpost in my Nativity play....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Only the girls can have lines, because the boys are all bullies/misogynists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

This stuff only bothers the parents and unless pointed out to a kid it probably doesn't enter their heads.
    Not every child wants to do something like this. Some are happy to leave it up to the drama crowd in schools who just love showing off their 'talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

She needs to get out and get herself laid enjoy herself a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In the film Love Actually, Emma Thompson 's child had the part of a lobster in the nativity..
    Don't think it was a talking lobster mind you..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9chdp8izEtk

Yeah and her husband was trying to ride his secretary, so basically if your kid doesn't speak in the play, your family is going to break up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

We never had nativity plays in my day, so no-one got to say anything ... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

My daughter is only in playschool, she was told the other day that she's playing a star in her upcoming play and has to sing twinkle twinkle. There's more chance of her moonwalking across the stage than singing that song in front of people, she is far too shy but the teachers don't seem to have copped on to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I remember we did one and I got a part as a duck. A non-quacking duck at that. No idea what the play was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well I'm still suffering from ptsd when I had to play the tin whistle in my play and i pissed myself on stage. With every blow a little more wiz came out.
    I should have gotten a standing ovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My first Christmas concert was on the night of the Lockerbie bombing. The show was getting underway around the time it happened. I was up on stage being an elf whilst other poor people were brutally shuffling off stage left. Happy Christmas, everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In various primary school plays, I played one of the three wise men, a narrator, an elf, an ugly sister, a news reporter, a tree and an inn keeper. The tree was the most challenging - I was something of a method actor back then (my influences included Day Lewis, De Niro and Brando), so I prepared for the role by standing in the garden for three whole months leading up to the performance.

The inn keeper was my favourite role because I got to do a bit of improv when the boy playing Joseph forgot his lines and ran off the stage crying. My 'improv' involved asking the boy who played Mary (this was an all boys school), "so, when are you due?" I thought it was a sensible thing to say to someone who's about to have a baby, but the parents and teachers found it hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Three boys in my class, we were always kings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

flatty wrote: »
    So proud
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement