Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does it bother you if your child doesn't get a speaking role in school play?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My little girl was Mary in the play last year. Who wants to see the video? (I show it to everyone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'd rather my kids didn't have a speaking part. Too much pressure. My son was one of the wise men last year, he had 1 line and that was more than enough. He was only 6 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I went to a small school,like 5 people in my class iirc

My da has a sheepfarm.....I was a shepherd every single year ▪_▪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Ted Plain wrote: »
    I remember we did one and I got a part as a duck. A non-quacking duck at that. No idea what the play was.

Honk! ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I played Mary once and “gave birth” to Jesus. Basically was sitting down in the makeshift barn and picked up a doll under a blanket that was behind me. Of course then every Mother in the audience says “Shur if only it was that easy!” ....10 year old me was mortified.

I went to a small school,like 5 people in my class iirc

My da has a sheepfarm.....I was a shepherd every single year ▪_▪

That reminds me of my sons nativity. One family ran a donkey sanctuary. Yep. They brought a donkey but of course only their little darling could ride it and her brother got to lead it onstage. It stole the show by dropping it’s load (not the Virgin Mary).

They did Robin Hood the following year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That reminds me of my sons nativity. One family ran a donkey sanctuary. Yep. They brought a donkey but of course only their little darling could ride it and her brother got to lead it onstage. It stole the show by dropping it’s load (not the Virgin Mary).

They did Robin Hood the following year.

urm I used to live in a village which had a donkey sanctuary.. I remember at the time being told it was the only one in Ireland (which could have been untrue)

are there others or are is this the same sanctuary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

lawred2 wrote: »
    urm I used to live in a village which had a donkey sanctuary.. I remember at the time being told it was the only one in Ireland (which could have been untrue)

There's one in Bray.

(There's not, but there should be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

RayM wrote: »
    In various primary school plays, I played one of the three wise men, a narrator, an elf, an ugly sister, a news reporter, a tree and an inn keeper. The tree was the most challenging - I was something of a method actor back then (my influences included Day Lewis, De Niro and Brando), so I prepared for the role by standing in the garden for three whole months leading up to the performance.

I also played a tree in Hansel and Gretel. It was the only play I was ever in.

Somebody actually said the trees were the best part about the play. It may have been my mam :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

RayM it's been about two hours and I'm still laughing at you asking "when are you due"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The kids having a speaking part I can take or leave, but the one thing that drives me fucking nuts at these things, is all the parents up at the front near the stage, insisting on filming the whole fucking thing with their fucking massive iPads.

Arseholes of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I played half a door in one of my Christmas plays. Not even the half that got to say 'squeak' when we pretended to open. A fúcking door - and not even a full one. What was that teacher putting in her tea…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Not really. There are only so many speaking parts to go round. It did bother me a bit more, though, when our two daughters went to drama classes and the speaking time seemed to be very unevenly distributed, even allowing for different levels of talent, and we're not the pushy parent types.

At school, my 11-year old daughter recently landed the role of Achilles in an Irish-language version of Troy (or the Illiad, take your pick). She was worried about getting the pronunciation right, so I created a phonetic version of the lines for her to learn. Then I showed her a few clips of Brad Pitt in Troy: "...this is the effect you're aiming for...you're the deadliest warrior in the Greek army, and you're always angry..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

What bothers me is that the only "drama" that takes place in 99% of primary school classrooms in this backwards country is the nativity play, the preparation for which meets very few, if any, of the learning objectives from the drama curriculum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I played half a door in one of my Christmas plays. Not even the half that got to say 'squeak' when we pretended to open. A fúcking door - and not even a full one. What was that teacher putting in her tea…

That's hilarious! Now are you male or female, as this is critical as to whether you have a letterbox or a knob. :D:D

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    That's hilarious! Now are you male or female, as this is critical as to whether you have a letterbox or a knob. :D:D

Male and I didn't even get to have a knob. It was very emasculating…

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Male and I didn't even get to have a knob. It was very emasculating…

Gender Neutral Door, that was one progressive school you went to

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Gender Neutral Door, that was one progressive school you went to

It was a Catholic school. Any talk of knobs and knockers was deemed sinful…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The kids having a speaking part I can take or leave, but the one thing that drives me fucking nuts at these things, is all the parents up at the front near the stage, insisting on filming the whole fucking thing with their fucking massive iPads.

Arseholes of the highest order.

I started trying to record performances on my camera. Not big enough or near enough to the stage to be a nuisance but I still gave it up quickly because it's too much of a distraction and ironically, in trying to record the moment you actually tend to miss it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I also dont like the parents who over-egg their laughing and clapping. So so false. Yes that part was a bit funny but you dont need to keep laughing, guffawing and clapping into the next scene so we cant hear little Johnny speak.

I may be verging on being one of the parents mentioned in OP, but its known that the kids who get the big parts in the play are those offspring from well known families in the town and presumably contribute more money to the school.

Sounded ridiculous and never even crossed my mind until my 10 year old told me this was the case ...and then I heard some other parent say it. Then thinking back, year after year the same people get the big parts (and they are not blessed with great singing voices)

My kids dont give a crap about it (less is more in their eyes) so no issue here.

But I can see why some kids think this is unfair and therefore I do get why some parents may get a bit cheesed off if their kid is into acting/singing and they are assigned tree #2 .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

It was a Catholic school. Any talk of knobs and knockers was deemed sinful…

Our sex education - I kid you not - was a nun saying "don't do any of that messing you see on the telly" and then asking us to collect something from a box by the door marked "Kotex".

Oh and when the nuns took our radio off us in 1984 so we couldn't listen to the top 40 during the Relax ban - I asked one of them why and she said "it's about somethings boys do together and not suitable for good Catholic ladies".

I swear I was 20 before I realised it wasn't about marbles or Panini stickers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I have experience here.
    I'm 67. When I was about 8 the school entered a play in a play competition.
    The play was about St Patrick and I had the lead.
    But in rehearsals it was obvious i was not up to scratch and I was jocked off.
    A girl got the part. I was delighted.
    My parents may have been disappointed that their child wasn't an actor.
    Think about the children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Let's face it for every Ralph Wiggum there's an annoying Rex.

Rex.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I was Joseph in our 5th class nativity play in around 1982. I can still remember one line:
    "He's very small for the son of God". I think Joseph was meant to be some sort of halfwit comic relief. Thinking back I should really have said "he's a dead ringer for Mr. Cohen the milkman."

I was Joseph in our 5th class nativity play in around 1982. I can still remember one line:
    "He's very small for the son of God". I think Joseph was meant to be some sort of halfwit comic relief. Thinking back I should really have said "he's a dead ringer for Mr. Cohen the milkman."

Yes!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

My kids are in Educate Together so they do a period revolutionary drama set on a Guatemalan coffee farm instead of a nativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Makes no difference at infants. But over eight years in primary school, kids who would like to get a speaking part will notice if they never get one. Or if the best parts always go to the same children. Likewise never getting picked for the readings or bidding prayers in school masses or other 'important jobs'

Some children interact better with adults and teachers are only human. The best behaved, friendliest and most articulate children tend to get picked again and again.

It's hard for a parent if they see their child being disappointed repeatedly. But the worst thing to do is point it out to the child or complain to the school. Best approach is do your best to raise a confident and considerate child and let them off at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I didn't get a part in the play, only child out of 30 kids not to.
    I plucked up the courage and asked the teacher at the end of class one day if I could have a small part next year.
    I was told "No, because you speak like you have stones in your mouth."

My crime was that I was from the council estate and male but I was smart and did well in class.

Diemos wrote: »
    I plucked up the courage and asked the teacher at the end of class one day if I could have a small part next year.

My crime was that I was from the council estate and male but I was smart and did well in class.

really?

what a horrible c^nt

As a slightly older thesp came my greatest disappointment tho - we did Macbeth for a school play.

I wanted to the Lady M, I'd have taken Lady MacDuff tbh but I wanted the big girl role.

Now I was gooooood! Could do a Scots accent and everything.

What did I end up as ? Second Witch.

Not First Witch who starts it off, not Third Witch with all the decent prophecies but the middle one!

Put it this way the girl who ended up playing MY role (ahem!) was seen going into the props closet with our English teacher who has gone to the boys school up the road ten years earlier (we were 14/15 at the time so he'd be 25/26 ?)

Lost a part to the Casting Couch!!!

(not that anyone asked me but you know...)

• Advertisement

My auntie was a teacher and if she heard any of that sh**e she'd go to the bat for the kid, good on her.

Yeah, seriously.
    She did that, I had her for 2 years, to say school was hell was an understatement.
    My parents asked me why I was the only one who didnt have a part, I just said I did not want one because I didn't want to cause a fuss. She would probably make life even worse as she would still be my teacher.

We had a project competition which I won (joint 1st with a girl in the class), other teachers in the school chose the winner.
    As I standing at her desk at the top of the class (with the girl who also won), "You would never have won if I was judging" was whispered in my ear.
    For a few years I blamed the girl, took me a while to figure out that she did nothing wrong, it was all the teacher at fault.
    Sounds silly but as a child you don't always see the big picture.

I wasn't the only one she did stuff like that to, all male, all from the council estate.

Yeah, seriously.
    She did that, I had her for 2 years, to say school was hell was an understatement.
    My parents asked me why I was the only one who didnt have a part, I just said I did not want one because I didn't want to cause a fuss. She would probably make life even worse as she would still be my teacher.

We had a project competition which I won (joint 1st with a girl in the class), other teachers in the school chose the winner.
    As I standing at her desk at the top of the class (with the girl who also won), "You would never have won if I was judging" was whispered in my ear.
    For a few years I blamed the girl, took me a while to figure out that she did nothing wrong, it was all the teacher at fault.
    Sounds silly but as a child you don't always see the big picture.

I wasn't the only one she did stuff like that to, all male, all from the council estate.

We had a teacher who turned a blind eye to bullying if it was done by the girls in the netball team where she coached.

I was in the quiz team so I was f****d.

My auntie was a teacher and if she heard any of that sh**e she'd go to the bat for the kid, good on her.
    Most teachers and parents, esp my own parents, would have. But I was terrified so I said nothing.

Most teachers and parents, esp my own parents, would have. But I was terrified so I said nothing.

She knew the kids couldn't because the teachers would have them scared. Some people aren't cut out to be teachers but since Belsen was closed their career paths are limited given their skillset.

This was over 20 years ago. It may not have been a recognized sanctuary but a farm that had some? I no longer live in the area, but is one of my happiest memories. That and the annual Christmas carol service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

englander wrote: »
    I may be verging on being one of the parents mentioned in OP, but its known that the kids who get the big parts in the play are those offspring from well known families in the town and presumably contribute more money to the school.

Absolutely a thing in rural and small town schools. No doubt about it.

This was over 20 years ago. It may not have been a recognized sanctuary but a farm that had some? I no longer live in the area, but is one of my happiest memories. That and the annual Christmas carol service.

What part of the country? Nothing too accurate..

Advertisement