Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of a rent increase is reasonable?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, 4 of us in a house share, not in a rent pressure zone.

Current rent is €850 a month, we were told it was going up. My housemate suggested €950 (I wouldn't have suggested anything, it's not up to us to suggest amounts, but anyway)- they've come back with €1000. I want to say stick with 950, it's not our fault they didn't increase the rent in smaller amounts over the last 2 years.

What's the protocol in these situations? A 12% increase in one go seems more than fair to me. Plus they are obliged to provide us with 90 days written notice and give evidence of 3 comparably priced properties in the area, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Shelga wrote: »
    Hi guys, 4 of us in a house share, not in a rent pressure zone.

Current rent is €850 a month, we were told it was going up. My housemate suggested €950 (I wouldn't have suggested anything, it's not up to us to suggest amounts, but anyway)- they've come back with €1000. I want to say stick with 950, it's not our fault they didn't increase the rent in smaller amounts over the last 2 years.

What's the protocol in these situations? A 12% increase in one go seems more than fair to me. Plus they are obliged to provide us with 90 days written notice and give evidence of 3 comparably priced properties in the area, right?

Any increase that can be justified by evidence of the market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

You are entitled to receive evidence of 3 comparable properties to make sure the new rent is in line with market value. Other than that, if its outside a RPZ, then it could be a 50% and there nothing you can do except accept it, haggle with the Landlord, or move somewhere else. Your LL can only do a rent review every 2 years, so if the increase is justified by market conditions, then the gap between your current rent and the new rent is not your Landlords fault. To be honest, 12% over 2 years does not seem out of range of what is happening in the country at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Once the landlord provides the evidence of 3 similarly priced properties fairness doesn't really come into it.

Have a look on Daft and see what rents are like in the area and if they're more than €1000 take it, if not refuse.

Advertisement