Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compensation letter from BoI re tracker

• 14-11-2017 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Got a letter in the door from BoI, offering an apology for ripping us off to the tune of about 3500 Eu (extra interest charged) over nearly eight years. The compensation offered is to get the 3500 back plus EU 154. I don't think it's much of an offer after eight years of them dipping into our wallets. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

:eek: Cheeky buggers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If they'd loaned you that sum over 8 years, what would they have charged you?

That's what they should pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Got a letter in the door from BoI, offering an apology for ripping us off to the tune of about 3500 Eu (extra interest charged) over nearly eight years. The compensation offered is to get the 3500 back plus EU 154. I don't think it's much of an offer after eight years of them dipping into our wallets. What do you think?

Did you get any TRS on the €,500 extra interest that you paid? If so, are you going to offer to pay it back to Revenue? :p

Seriously, I suspect that Revenue is going to come sniffing around everyone who gets a refund from the banks, asking them to pay back the extra TRS that they got. Could be fun when this dawns on people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Did they show or explain how they came to €154?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The letter states that the TRS has been subtracted for forwarding to the Revenue. So instead of it being EU 3800, for example, it is listed as Eu 3800-TRS=3500. Their explanation for concluding that Eu 154 was adequate was rather vague. It was essentially computed as a minute percentage of the extra interest.... They also added a sub note to the effect that if the compo was less than Eu5, they would, with their big hearts, bring it up to Eu 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Stovepipe wrote: »

The letter states that the TRS has been subtracted for forwarding to the Revenue. So instead of it being EU 3800, for example, it is listed as Eu 3800-TRS=3500.

That's very interesting, thanks.

(I am helping a friend in a similar situation to chase Ulster Bank for an interest refund and was wondering whether and how the TRS issue would be addressed.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

endacl wrote: »
    If they'd loaned you that sum over 8 years, what would they have charged you?

That's what they should pay.
    well, a loan calculator on the BofI website suggests that a 5 yr loan of 3500 euros would cost Eu784, so I might have to ask them for at least Eu 784, as compo for unrestrained pickpocketing ;-)

Advertisement