Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could, what would you advise your teenage self?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

This question always intrigues me. I've turned 40 recently and found myself reflecting on what is probably/hopefully the halfway mark.
    I have a young son and hope to give him the tool's/advice to help him in life.
    When he decides the way he goes I want to support him. As a teenager I wasn't sure what I wanted to and its the same of most of my teenage relatives when I ask them.
    If I have any advice for them I suppose it would to eat well, look after your health, when drinking do so responsibly and enjoy the weekend not to spend half of it 'recovering'. Be passionate about what you enjoy doing. No matter how well things are going today its important to have friends.
    Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

**** less study more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Be more selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Facebook......then Bitcoin.

Thank me later.

Be your own best friend, and you are always better than you give yourself credit for.

You is kind, you is smart, you is important. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Like yourself a bit more, don't get hung up on small stuff and try and be nice to people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ficheall wrote: »
    Be more selfish.

I second this. Not in a ****ty way but you have to make your needs count at least as much as everyone else's. Don't be a martyr.

Travel as soon and as long and as far as you can. Make memories. Make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

I could tell teenage me lots of stuff, but teenage me wouldn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Don't do that undergrad course you are going to put down on the CAO form because you haven't a clue what you want to do in life.

Take a year out if you have to and figure out what you'd really like to do in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Get the finger out and do a decent college course thatll get you an actual job so you won't have to do it in your mid-thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Have more fun.
    Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Not to be afraid of stuff that's nothing to be afraid of.

• Advertisement

Kindness is far more important than you might think

Be less assertive but more quietly sure of yourself

You're as well off buying into the housing madness at twenty five as not. Mass hysteria won't be cured just because you mistrust it.

Re sex: Lower your standards. Nobody starts at the top!

Ficheall wrote: »
    Be more selfish.

"Talk to your analyst, isn't that what they're paid for?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Stop trying to impress dickheads that don't give a shite about you because you're desperate for someone to hang around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭corner of hells

To 23 year old self ." Feckin' sober up , that little blonde is serious about you".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't worry.. you won't always be that shy and awkward.

Remember, an ex is an ex for a reason

When the bank start offering you a few hundred million Euro for a mortgage, take it. You'll end up paying for it either way anyway.

Oh and here's the 100 mil Euromillions numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,535 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just speaking from my social circle I'd tell teenagers to pick a college course they want to do/ career path they wanted. I know a good few people in jobs they hate because of parents pushing them into courses/felt they had to. (They'd also need to look at the bigger picture and make sure they'd be happy).

Not to take bossy teachers to seriously. Do your work but if you forget your copy a few times/etc just laugh it off.

Join any groups/clubs that you think you might like and not to care about what people would say.

I know of a few lads who went travelling and had a dreadful time and it wasn't for them and it has ended up fatal. So, I'd tell them if they could come home if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

lay off the fapping

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

And click on No email notification in thread subscription when writing in Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dinorebel wrote: »
    **** less study more.

You have that the wrong way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You actually do know what's best for you so be brave and go do it. Put yourself first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

You know those impossibly beautiful girls bullying you for being fat and wearing glasses ?

Two of them will end up single mothers on the breadline with multiple failed relationships and one will be in jail.

You’ll still be fat and wear glasses but you’ll be a hard working productive member of society and not in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Don't gamble, don't settle in work and enjoy the happy moments as much as you can!

And for god's sake wear your f*cking retainer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Keep fit

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Rabbit

I loved reading this :)

branie2 wrote: »
    lay off the fapping

The OP was clearly talking about realistic teenage goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Stop being the responsible one, you have your whole adult life to be responsible.
    Be less inhibited.
    Go to college in another city/country.
    Be sportier now, you won't regret it.
    Go easier on your mother, you don't have that much time.
    Give WAY less f*cks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,267 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

take up body building, the chicks do dig it apparently

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

He doesn't like you. Stop harassing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Get the finger out and do a decent college course thatll get you an actual job so you won't have to do it in your mid-thirties.

Snap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Don't make unnecessary journeys.
    Don't take risks.
    Don't swim in the sea.

Advertisement