Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Speed Checker Accuracy?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I'm currently considering switching to Eir for a Broadband package however what's been putting me off is the fact that the online checker for my address states: "Speeds of up to 9Mb are available at your home."

However when I got onto the online chat team an agent there informs me that the speeds available at my address would actually be 30Mb. When I queried the discrepancy between their figure and the website they told me there was issues with the website. I'll be blunt, I don't believe this, I have checked my address on the website checker to see speeds available at my home on and off for the past year or so anticipating the fibre roll out, and any time I've ever checked the results always came back as "Speeds of up to 9Mb are available at your home." so unless I've always been given incorrect results via the web checker, I doubt the agents sincerity when they say that the website isn't working "today".

How can there be such a variation between what the Eir website speed checker tells me and an agent working for Eir? Do they use 2 separate systems to check line speeds? Is one more updated than the other? Or was I simply lied to and misled?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Morby wrote: »
    I'm currently considering switching to Eir for a Broadband package however what's been putting me off is the fact that the online checker for my address states: "Speeds of up to 9Mb are available at your home."

However when I got onto the online chat team an agent there informs me that the speeds available at my address would actually be 30Mb. When I queried the discrepancy between their figure and the website they told me there was issues with the website. I'll be blunt, I don't believe this, I have checked my address on the website checker to see speeds available at my home on and off for the past year or so anticipating the fibre roll out, and any time I've ever checked the results always came back as "Speeds of up to 9Mb are available at your home." so unless I've always been given incorrect results via the web checker, I doubt the agents sincerity when they say that the website isn't working "today".

How can there be such a variation between what the Eir website speed checker tells me and an agent working for Eir? Do they use 2 separate systems to check line speeds? Is one more updated than the other? Or was I simply lied to and misled?

Hi Morby,

The speeds that our website provide are generally correct, however, on occasion, this can be incorrect. If you PM me your eircode I'll look into this for you. 

- Adam

Advertisement