Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilternan for nippers (or ski tips for the kids in general!)

Options
  • 14-11-2017 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Anyone any thoughts? We're bringing our little fella skiing this year for the first time. He'll be 3 & 10 months or so when he hits the slopes. The main thing we're worried about is the boots, as he might throw a mickey fit when they're strapped onto his feet. So was thinking maybe Kilternan might be a good idea?
    Get him used to the whole shebang? They say their classes are from 4y/o... are they strict on age?

We got him a two piece rigout for ease of going to the loo. Any other suggestions will be well received!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

olaola wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts? We're bringing our little fella skiing this year for the first time. He'll be 3 & 10 months or so when he hits the slopes. The main thing we're worried about is the boots, as he might throw a mickey fit when they're strapped onto his feet. So was thinking maybe Kilternan might be a good idea?
    Get him used to the whole shebang? They say their classes are from 4y/o... are they strict on age?

We got him a two piece rigout for ease of going to the loo. Any other suggestions will be well received!!

To be honest OP they are pretty strict on the age thing.. it’s down to the level of concentration levels.

My brother in law brought his son skiing at 3 years and 9 months .. booked him in for ski school after day one they told his dad that he’d have to be taken out and put in snow ski (effectively a crèche) etc.. he got no refund from ski school
    As the age requiremts are listed etc.

But it’s up to you. This happened in Lech Austria

On kilternian I’ve been twice for me it’s nothing like skiing plus I nearly broke my thumb! But maybe other people have other experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

cocker5 wrote: »
    To be honest OP they are pretty strict on the age thing.. it’s down to the level of concentration levels.

My brother in law brought his son skiing at 3 years and 9 months .. booked him in for ski school after day one they told his dad that he’d have to be taken out and put in snow ski (effectively a cre) etc.. he got no refund from ski school
    As the age requiremts are listed etc.

But it’s up to you. This happened in Lech Austria

On kilternian I’ve been twice for me it’s nothing like skiing plus I nearly broke my thumb! But maybe other people have other experiences

Thanks - good to know, save us a wasted trip! I did the pre-course myself in Kilternan before I started on snow and I thought it was invaluable. NOW, I wouldn't really fancy going back myself now that I'm used to the snow. But it was a great help to the uninitiated.

We're hoping he'll take the instruction well, I suppose all kids are different. My mate more or less started her 4 when they could fit in the boots, and now her eldest is doing off piste & blacks at the age of 8 :eek:

The skischool has a special 'bambino' class for 3-4 years where we're going, so I'm gonna assume they're prepped for different reactions! Sure we'll see - we brought him to the snow before and he was very excited about it, the sledding, the snowman building & when his Dad took him down a very gentle blue on his skis. So hopefully he'll be as receptive this time!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

In France last year they were ok to let our 2.5 (at the time) year old have a go at piou piou which is from 4. We didn't in the end but I took him on the bunny slopes and he was grand.

Boots were a challenge 1 or 2 of the days but over all it was very whinge free.

Love to hear how you get on with Kilternan, I had wondered the same

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mfoley

olaola wrote: »

You should definitely bring him up to Kilternan. He's too young for lessons (6 years up) but there's kinder sessions at the weekend and that will get him into boots and getting used to wearing, walking and sliding on skis. I think kinder is shorter too, 60 minutes instead of 90 and I assume it's also cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

mfoley wrote: »
    You should definitely bring him up to Kilternan. He's too young for lessons (6 years up) but there's kinder sessions at the weekend and that will get him into boots and getting used to wearing, walking and sliding on skis. I think kinder is shorter too, 60 minutes instead of 90 and I assume it's also cheaper...

Thanks a mill! I think the getting used to the wearing, walking etc is really worth the trip over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just tell them that he's 4 - they won't know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Just tell them that he's 4 - they won't know the difference.

That could have fairly serious implications of anyone is hurt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

cormee wrote: »
    That could have fairly serious implications of anyone is hurt though.

I take it you haven't seen what they do with toddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Our little lad was 4 and a half when he skied. He loved it and ski school. The instructors in Les Deux Alpes were very good. It knocks a lot out of them at that age so I'd limit it to morning or afternoon only.

P.

Advertisement