Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a modular / prefab house in Ireland: how complicated and expensive is it?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello

I am in Australia but have a European passport so in order to achieve my dream (enjoy a peaceful life in my own house and stop wasting bags of cash paying the mortgage to my landlord), I am seriously considering to move to Ireland before Christmas.

Now, the issue is that I have never been there so I am hoping some of you can help me with some information.

Here is what I need for me and my retired parent:

- broadband/fast internet (I work online so without a reliable fast connection, the whole project is not achievable)

Please specify if I can get fiber or ADSL (fixed line broadband) everywhere in Ireland or just Wireless.

- I need 2 small houses, no stairs. About 60 sqm each.

Can be anywhere, but I'd prefer not more than 1 hour drive from a supermarket and a hospital.

That's all I need.

Could you please tell me how complicated and expensive would be to achieve my dream? (cheap block of land...maybe you call it "site" over there).

Please quote or mention Council issues/costs, reliable builders (I don't know any) and whatever you can think I need to plan.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭bennyineire

islabonita wrote: »
    Hello

I am in Australia but have a European passport so in order to achieve my dream (enjoy a peaceful life in my own house and stop wasting bags of cash paying the mortgage to my landlord), I am seriously considering to move to Ireland before Christmas.

Now, the issue is that I have never been there so I am hoping some of you can help me with some information.

Here is what I need for me and my retired parent:

- broadband/fast internet (I work online so without a reliable fast connection, the whole project is not achievable)

Please specify if I can get fiber or ADSL (fixed line broadband) everywhere in Ireland or just Wireless.

- I need 2 small houses, no stairs. About 60 sqm each.

Can be anywhere, but I'd prefer not more than 1 hour drive from a supermarket and a hospital.

That's all I need.

Could you please tell me how complicated and expensive would be to achieve my dream? (cheap block of land...maybe you call it "site" over there).

Please quote or mention Council issues/costs, reliable builders (I don't know any) and whatever you can think I need to plan.

Thank you

It will be quite hard for you to get planning permission on a rural site as most county councils reserve planning permission for "Local Need" i.e. somone from the local area, you can also qualify if you can prove you have a parent or grandparent from the area.

The next best thing you could do is but an old dilapidated house and apply for permission to build on that site (you might be able to demolish the old house but maybe keep the facade), these usually do not have "local need" clauses attached.

Howeve rural broadband is patch at best, some wireless operators offer half decent services, I have imagine, go to their website to check coverage https://www.imagine.ie/ , they promise up to 100mb but I get between 10-16mb download at peak times and about 40-50mb during the day (this may suit you)

If you must absolutely have a fibre connection then you will have to move close to a town, most of the regional towns with populations over 5K have fibre broadband now with more to come on stream (check first). You could find some serviced sites in these towns but you will pay north of 50K for the site.

As for building costs, if you plan to project manage the build yourself (i.e. employ the subcontractors) and do some of the work your self you could keep build costs at €1000 per square metre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think you Are really quite naive if you think that that would be easy in Ireland. We have a massive housing crisis at the moment . It's not romantic in any way.

Are you looking to buy or rent? It's not clear from your post if you want land to put a pre built home on or if you want 2 already pre built houses. What is your budget?

I suppose you could get a cheap house in.leitrim or somewhere like that .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Problem 1 : Planning.
    Problem 2 : Building Regulations Compliance.

Because of problem 1 and 2, you won’t get funding.
    If you have funding, you can’t build because of problem 1 & 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 islabonita

Wesser wrote: »
    I think you Are really quite naive if you think that that would be easy in Ireland. We have a massive housing crisis at the moment . It's not romantic in any way.

Are you looking to buy or rent? It's not clear from your post if you want land to put a pre built home on or if you want 2 already pre built houses.  What is your budget?

I suppose you could get a cheap house in.leitrim or somewhere like that .

Hi, I'm looking to build. Budget:  EUR 200,000
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi, I'm looking to build. Budget:  EUR 200,000
    Cheers

Maybe all the previous posts were not clear.
    You Won’t achieve this with that budget and with the modular plan you have in mind.

I think you need to.put alot of planning in to this
    For 200k you could probably buy 2 small houses in the countryside.... very remote... may be you should come over and rent in the area first and start your research then .
    Would be more feasible to buy 2 small houses for 100k each.

I think you need to.put alot of planning in to this
    For 200k you could probably buy 2 small houses in the countryside.... very remote... may be you should come over and rent in the area first and start your research then .
    Would be more feasible to buy 2 small houses for 100k each.

https://touch.daft.ie/leitrim/houses-for-sale/mohill/6-macraghnaill-court-lough-rynn-mohill-leitrim-1555666

For example.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Brand new poster..... Random Australian asks about prefab houses at 2am Australian time in the morning in Irish forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.daft.ie/11575638 or http://www.daft.ie/11479917
    Both are one level, have internet, and are just under €200,000

What you'd plan to do would probably cost €200,000 to just buy the land that has access to decent internet!

• Advertisement

She wants 2 houses for the 200k, ie 100k each.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Including site costs as well as construction costs, apparently.

OP, if you cannot afford to buy the houses you want in Australia, what makes you think you will be able to do so in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wesser wrote: »
    She wants 2 houses for the 200k, ie 100k each.
    And she may get them. 666km apart.

But in reality, if she gets the price that cheap wherever she can get "good internets", you'd have to wonder what's wrong with the place?

listermint wrote: »
    Brand new poster..... Random Australian asks about prefab houses at 2am Australian time in the morning in Irish forum...

And? I work often at night, it's quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

In principle, you are far more likely to achieve what you want by buying existing houses in locations where there is not a current rental crisis. The rental crisis affects Dublin and hinterland, Cork city, Galway (and perhaps some other places?).
    Anywhere in the Midlands for example still has a significant housing surplus.
    Furthermore you are more likely to get good internet in a town than in the middle of nowhere.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

testicles wrote: »
    That's banned now isn't it?

Not at all

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The internet is Australia is terrible.
    Basic broadband in Ireland available nearly everywhere is equal to high speed NBN in Australia.

Ireland is tiny compared to Australia. I doubt there's a place on the entire island that's over an hours drive from a supermarket.
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    OP, if you cannot afford to buy the houses you want in Australia, what makes you think you will be able to do so in Ireland?
    The massive difference in prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Out of curiosity, why do you need two houses?

Mellor wrote: »
    I dunno. The OP is obviously thinking of somewhere rural, since she's happy to be up to an hour from a supermarket. I just did a search for houses under $100,000 in the Wheatbelt, which is a farming region north and west of Perth with a population of about 75,000; I got 79 hits.

Galway county also has a population of about 75,000. A search on daft.ie for houses in County Galway up to €75,000 (= AUD 116,000) yields only 43 hits.

OK, I picked those two areas out of the air. But I think that for the kind of location and price range that she has in mind, the OP is going to find houses more readily in Australia than in Ireland. Her desire for one-storey houses can only reinforce this.

Lumen wrote: »
    One for her, one for her retired parent.

• Advertisement

[
    I dunno. The OP is obviously thinking of somewhere rural, since she's happy to be up to an hour from a supermarket. I just did a search for houses under $100,000 in the Wheatbelt, which is a farming region north and west of Perth with a population of about 75,000; I got 79 hits.
    Sure, houses exist at $100k. I was assuming "house you want" was slightly more than any house at all. And that they had an rough area in mind.

If the OP was happy to live absolutely anywhere, then the wheatbelt in WA might be fine. Although I don't know how good the internet is out there.
    Galway county also has a population of about 75,000. A search on daft.ie for houses in County Galway up to €75,000 (= AUD 116,000) yields only 43 hits.

OK, I picked those two areas out of the air. But I think that for the kind of location and price range that she has in mind, the OP is going to find houses more readily in Australia than in Ireland. Her desire for one-storey houses can only reinforce this.
    Rural Australia and rural Ireland are very different though. And I don't think Galway is the equivalent to a random area in rural WA.
    More details needed from OP I guess.

Lumen wrote: »
    One for her, one for her retired parent.

Exactly.
    My mom cannot stay here longer than 12 months and she is too old to travel too often from Italy so considering I no longer like Italy, I was hoping that Ireland could be our solution. All we need is just some peace and quiet, even in the middle of nowhere, as long as I can work from home.
    I have found some residential land somewhere for EUR 50K so all I need now is to understand how much the whole planning thing is going to cost. There are lots of timber builders but I am not sure if I am allowed to post links here. Am I?
    Thank you

Mellor wrote: »
    I dunno.  The OP is obviously thinking of somewhere rural, since she's happy to be up to an hour from a supermarket.  I just did a search for houses under $100,000 in the Wheatbelt, which is a farming region north and west of Perth with a population of about 75,000; I got 79 hits.  

Galway county also has a population of about 75,000.  A search on daft.ie for houses in County Galway up to €75,000 (= AUD 116,000) yields only 43 hits.

OK, I picked those two areas out of the air.  But I think that for the kind of location and price range that she has in mind, the OP is going to find houses more readily in Australia than in Ireland.  Her desire for one-storey houses can only reinforce this.

Brand new? You won't find any brand new house in the whole Australia for less than A$150,000 (about EUR100,000) unless you are considering tiny 40 sqm places which are less common than unicorns here.

[
    Brand new? You won't find any brand new house in the whole Australia for less than A$150,000 (about EUR100,000)
    You never mentioned brand new.
    Why is that an issue?
    unless you are considering tiny 40 sqm places which are less common than unicorns here.
    40sqm is a studio.
    Which aren't uncommon at all.

Exactly.
    My mom cannot stay here longer than 12 months and she is too old to travel too often from Italy so considering I no longer like Italy, I was hoping that Ireland could be our solution. All we need is just some peace and quiet, even in the middle of nowhere, as long as I can work from home.
    I have found some residential land somewhere for EUR 50K so all I need now is to understand how much the whole planning thing is going to cost. There are lots of timber builders but I am not sure if I am allowed to post links here. Am I?
    Thank you

You wouldn't have a hope of getting the land signed over/Planning permission and construction completed on 12 months, no chance I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I think you can probably set yourself up with an ok living situation op. I think you should forget building at least for now. Building in a country where you don't know the laws or building regs is madness. You're asking to be taken for a ride by unscrupulous builders and missing the basic stuff any local would pick up.

Look at small midland towns along the main train lines over an hour from Dublin. Pick a few you like the sound of, do some reading and narrow your choices.

Pick one and rent for a while in the town then look at buying an already built house or houses. If you're desperate to build you can look at that option again then, but there's better value in rural towns buying second hand.

Also if your mother is frail as you say, you should probably focus on areas closer to hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I think a home with a granny flat or convert to a granny flat might be a more achievable criteria then two side by side houses at 100k each.

I wouldn't fancy your chances with building

Here are 2 house attached to each other with what looks like a shared garden at the back for €185K

It is in the nice town of Birr in County Offaly, the nearest big hospital is in Tullamore which is about a 30 minute drive.

Birr itself has supermarkets and shops and is about 90 minutes drive to Dublin

http://www.daft.ie/offaly/houses-for-sale/birr/two-houses-in-townsend-street-birr-offaly-1479347/

Exactly.
    Thank you

You wouldn't have a hope of getting the land signed over/Planning permission and construction completed on 12 months, no chance I'm afraid

May I ask why building is so complicated given Ireland does not seen to be overpopulated and some forum members earlier claimed that there is a rental crisis? Thank you

• Advertisement

I think you can probably set yourself up with an ok living situation op. I think you should forget building at least for now. Building in a country where you don't know the laws or building regs is madness. You're asking to be taken for a ride by unscrupulous builders and missing the basic stuff any local would pick up.

Look at small midland towns along the main train lines over an hour from Dublin. Pick a few you like the sound of, do some reading and narrow your choices.

Pick one and rent for a while in the town then look at buying an already built house or houses. If you're desperate to build you can look at that option again then, but there's better value in rural towns buying second hand.

Also if your mother is frail as you say, you should probably focus on areas closer to hospitals.

Yes, I would not build as soon as I land there. But I was hoping to do it within few months unless in winter builders do not work due to snow. I have no idea, that's why I am here looking for preliminary information from the locals. Thank you

Advertisement