Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance claim falls flat.

• 14-11-2017 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭

Fair play to all concerned in this court case and especially the Judge who seems to have seen through the scam fairly well. He ordered Aviva Insurance to sent the file to the Garda for investigation.
    There were a lot of other scams that should have been investigated too.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2017/1114/920005-fraud-court/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Good that she was caught.

But the reality is that nothing will happen her! She won't serve any prison time and there won't be any fines.

She's probably claimed many times before, and got away with it.
    Nothing has changed, and nothing will until they start locking people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

grahambo wrote: »

But the reality is that nothing will happen her! She won't serve any prison time and there won't be any fines.

Well, here's hoping she get plenty of jailtime. And when she gets out of jail here, that she'll have another stint in the clink of the Brexiteers:mad:.

And I do suspect that she's one of the recently recognised ethnic group that blots our fair land.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

McDonagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Another one here, only looking for 40k for his 'troubles' :rolleyes:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/stripper-32-who-claimed-he-couldnt-lift-children-due-to-crash-loses-case-after-videos-of-his-performances-shown-in-court-36319012.html

Any of these arseholes found to be fraudulently claiming these sums should have to pay that exact sum to the person they're suing once found out. That'd put a stop to bogus claims pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

fullstop wrote: »
    Another one here, only looking for 40k for his 'troubles' :rolleyes:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/stripper-32-who-claimed-he-couldnt-lift-children-due-to-crash-loses-case-after-videos-of-his-performances-shown-in-court-36319012.html

Any of these arseholes found to be fraudulently claiming these sums should have to pay that exact sum to the person they're suing once found out. That'd put a stop to bogus claims pretty fast.

Blade Zeps is a pretty cool name.

• Advertisement

Blade Zeps is a pretty cool name.
    It is, pity he's a wanker though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

An appeal to a massive payout also succeeded a few days ago. Maybe the judges are finally waking up.

grahambo wrote: »

I'd say where a Judge has said there was fraud, she could be in a lot of trouble. Lengthy jail sentences have been handed down for insurance fraud before. While the evidence has to be clear, where it exists it won't be taken lightly. If the insurance company refer it to the Gardai, they will have to follow it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

An appeal to a massive payout also succeeded a few days ago. Maybe the judges are finally waking up.

Any link please.

Any link please.

Ill try find it. Was to do with a woman slipping on grass trying to take a short cut to a shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Ill try find it. Was to do with a woman slipping on grass trying to take a short cut to a shopping centre.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/judge-overturns-75k-award-to-woman-who-slipped-on-grassy-slope-outside-dublin-shopping-centre-36308484.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

The plaintiff is a fraud who has brought a fraudulent claim set up in an amateur fashion by the slamming on of her brakes," Mr Justice Groarke said

Apparently the judge knows how to do the setup in a professional fashion :)
    Why aren't these cases referred back to DPP or Garda or whoever deals with attempted fraud?

Cordell wrote: »
    Why aren't these cases referred back to DPP or Garda or whoever deals with attempted fraud?

In which case was there a finding of insurance fraud that wasn't referred to the Gardai?

Imagine having the gall to sue someone because you slipped walking on wet grass?!! Ridiculous

I could have been a millionaire :(

Imagine having the gall to sue someone because you slipped walking on wet grass?!! Ridiculous

Those claims can and do succeed. It very much comes down to the particular facts, there is no principle that there should be a pay out in all such cases or none, generally there will be a finding of contributory negligence anyway.

Those claims can and do succeed. It very much comes down to the particular facts, there is no principle that there should be a pay out in all such cases or none, generally there will be a finding of contributory negligence anyway.

I know they can succeed, and wrongly as outlined by the link above. You'd want to be some prick to look for compo in a situation like that. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop looking for someone else to blame because they're clumsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

People need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop looking for someone else to blame because they're clumsy.

Because they're looking for a payout is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

These threads get tiresome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

McCrack wrote: »
    These threads get tiresome

Sue! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It's the payouts that are the reason these people do it.
    Ffs fall and hurt your wrist 25k, twist ankle 30k , 10 yr old boy small cut to finger 10k . Cut leg climbing a bloody mountain 75 k . Should be no more that what the hospital charges and what you miss from work end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

It's the payouts that are the reason these people do it. Ffs fall and hurt your wrist 25k, twist ankle 30k , 10 yr old boy small cut to finger 10k . Cut let climbing a bloody mountain 75 k . Should be no more that what the hospital charges and what you miss from work end of.

There needs to be a system of compensation following negligence or else people will take the plss with health and safety. However, the level of awards are far too high for minor injuries that should be just shrugged off as being part of life

There needs to be a system of compensation following negligence or else people will take the plss with health and safety. However, the level of awards are far too high for minor injuries that should be just shrugged off as being part of life

Great username!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

It's the payouts that are the reason these people do it.
    Ffs fall and hurt your wrist 25k, twist ankle 30k , 10 yr old boy small cut to finger 10k . Cut leg climbing a bloody mountain 75 k . Should be no more that what the hospital charges and what you miss from work end of.

There was a time I would have agreed with you. But then I got to see first hand the impact an injury can have on a persons life. My partner slipped and fell while washing the floor a few years ago and fractured her ankle.

It resulted in a month off work, multiple hospital visits and two surgeries. We've since discovered she's developed arthritis which has left her in constant pain and will greatly affect her ability to work long term. Even a simple injury can have serious long term effects over a person's life. You'd be surprised to see the bills add up. Between that and lost earnings €30k wouldn't even come close to covering it.

Fraud is a blight, you'll get no argument from me but people talk about these sums like they're outrageous amounts of money. When you experience it yourself you soon realize they're really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

He problem is she wasn't some third world ****hole immigrant ....kerrrchiing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Read that this morning, great result.

Nice to see the costs awarded against the guilty parties too though it does shine a light on the issue.

A common stick that people use to beat insurers with is that they settle claims "on the steps" rather than try and fight it in court.

The legal fees for each of the 4 claims in this case are in the region of €20k per claim.

If Zurich had have been found liable they would have had to pay them.

So the legal costs on top of the compo claims would have pushed the total outlay for the insurer to around €350k

Sometimes it's the easiest option to pay someone €15 or €20k out of court to get rid of them rather than risk going to court, losing, paying more compo and higher legal fees.

It's not ideal but that's the world we live In, that is Ireland in 2017, everyone wants a free lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

That ^ sounds like a criminal conspiracy to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sometimes it's the easiest option to pay someone €15 or €20k out of court to get rid of them rather than risk going to court, losing, paying more compo and higher legal fees.

I was thinking the same, but I think insurance companies have now realised that for not fighting it, they are getting hit left right and center for 10/20/30/50/70/100k daily and paying out for all these little claims adds up.

They have to show that they will and can defend themselves over bogus claims. I am not a strong supporter of insurance as I think it's operated like a cartel to be honest. But it's good to see the courts start to have a bit of cop on in these blatant claims of fraud and lying in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

So, basically it seems that you can chance your arm at commiting fraud and the only punishment if you are found out is that you have to pay the costs? Not much of a deterrent really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

dmc17 wrote: »
    So, basically it seems that you can chance your arm at commiting fraud and the only punishment if you are found out is that you have to pay the costs? Not much of a deterrent really..

Even that is rare and tbh, I cannot imagine the insurer ever recouping anything from these gougers.

Should this effect the "no foal, no fee" type of claims and should they be made illegal in traffic accident compensation incidents I wonder or would that be fair or legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dah Livelahnn today had a woman get 54K for a spurious claim where there wasnt even any contact.

If you own a car.

Get

A

DASHCAM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I was at my company Christmas do in the Four Seasons a few years ago. Some clown decided to bring their drink on the dance floor and ended up spilling it. I slipped on the spill, and went flying into the stage, landing on the step with my back taking the brunt of the damage. I remember the staff coming on to the dance floor to mop up the spill as I was helped up. I was in agony for days, and still have scar tissue as a result.

I was too embarrassed to do anything about it, but looking at some of these claims, I could have afforded a one bed apartment in Sligo with the payout I'd have got.

• Advertisement
Advertisement