Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle Live, NEC - tips/advice?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Heading over to Motorcycle Live next week, have my shortlist of stands to visit and a few bits I'm interested in getting. Not planning on getting anything major or bulky, but you never know!

I'm hoping to get in early and try to sign up for some test ride and adventure stuff, have already sent on my scanned license. Other than that, hoping a carry-on backpack will be sufficient for any little bits I pick up.

Any tips/advice from others who've been before?

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Have a nice brekkie in the bar in the airport before getting the shuttle train over to the NEC.
    Cash is KING.
    Haggle hard.
    and ENJOY YOURSELF

Heading over next weekend myself,with a few other lads.

Oh and the live MX motocross show is deadly.

Loud music,lazer light show,fire cannons and 8 lads doing some of the most insane stunts and jumps on scrambler/motocross bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

So how easy is it to get a go on the Test Ride stuff? If you're straight over in the morning would you get sorted alright?

How far is it back to the airport after? I'm on 17:40 flight back, what time should I be leaving NEC at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Have a nice brekkie in the bar in the airport before getting the shuttle train over to the NEC.
    Cash is KING.
    Haggle hard.
    and ENJOY YOURSELF

Heading over next weekend myself,with a few other lads.

Make sure you get rid of yer tenners...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Present your Irish passport at some office for free entry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ccmp

It's just a shuttle (free) takes 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mecanno37

For the test rides, try and get to the stand early, but you can go again at around 1.30 for the afternoon sessions. For the off road experience you can book that online, it's only about 20 mins but a bit of fun. You get breathalysed before getting on any of the bikes so no alcohol.  Getting to and from the nec to the airport is easy peasy, no need to go outdoors at all, probably only 10 mins. The press office is where you get your free ticket in on showing your passport.

thos wrote: »
    So how easy is it to get a go on the Test Ride stuff? If you're straight over in the morning would you get sorted alright?

How far is it back to the airport after? I'm on 17:40 flight back, what time should I be leaving NEC at?

Airport and NEC are smack bang beside each other.The overhead shuttle train takes you from the aiport terminal into the NEC,its about 2 minutes,if even that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm heading on the 20th, which is a Monday. I did the first day thing the last couple of times and its a nightmare. Its far too over crowded.

I'm looking forward to my breakfast in the airport when I get to Birmingham, its a great way to start of the day.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm heading on the 20th, which is a Monday. I did the first day thing the last couple of times and its a nightmare. Its far too over crowded.

I'm looking forward to my breakfast in the airport when I get to Birmingham, its a great way to start of the day.

Cuppa tea and the full brekkie,and just sit back and chill out,cant beat it.
    Better than standing like an idiot in the que for the show for an hour and a half until it opens.:pac::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....last time I went to it the restaurant went on fire in the airport and no-one got breakfast......... :(

Anyhoo, travel light. Bring, or buy, water. And, possibley, Solpadeine (see next paragraph....)

The halls are very warm. Unless you actually plan to go outside, don't even bring a coat. You can get from the airbridge, through the airport, on the shuttle, into the NEC and to the show without going outside. If you've got big coats etc, you'll be hauling them around all day...............or you can check them at a cloakroom. I'd just leave them in the car at the airport at home. Now you know why I bring the Solpadeine.....

Once upon ago I'd try and go everywhere and do everything, and give myself a burstin' head in the process. Nowadays I single out in advance the key things I want to do (certain stands etc), and once they're done, just wander.

I'm bring tout la familie this time too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks for the info everyone.
    In terms of the press office / free tickets - does that only open at 10 also? Much of a delay getting them? Is the press office usually signposted?
    mecanno37 wrote: »
    For the off road experience you can book that online, it's only about 20 mins but a bit of fun.
    Where is that?
    The website seems a bit contradictory:

Participation is completely free and bookings can only be taken on the day of your visit.

To participate visitors must hold a full motorcycle licence, pass a breathalyser test and complete a competency test. A full briefing will be given. Once advanced slots are booked, bookings will also be taken each day of the show.

In terms of the press office / free tickets - does that only open at 10 also? Much of a delay getting them? Is the press office usually signposted?

Where is that?

I booked online, and am on an AT DCT at 09:30. Allegedly.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I booked online, and am on an AT DCT at 09:30. Allegedly.

Can you share link? Cant find anywhere on website to book anything.

Also fancy a go of a DCT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Where is that?

The press office is beside the entrance to hall 4. You can download the floor plan here. Kinda regretting not booking flights to go this year, as i went to last 2 years and enjoyed it. The press office was quiet both times that i have been, and i was in there less than a minute!
    https://www.motorcyclelive.co.uk/floor-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mecanno37

Walk into the press office with your passport open show it to the smiling young lady, she hands you a ticket , you walk out, it took me longer to type this than it takes to get the ticket.

Online Booking for the off road seems to be full, but I wandered up to the desk on the off chance last year and was on a KTM an hour later. This year I have booked for the Triumph street scrambler .
    The press office opens before 10 but not sure what time. You will have plenty of time to get sorted  so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah I have booked the 2 adventures and will get up the the Dark side Yammy stand the minute I get in, then shoot over to the test ride zone and book there. Make sure if you have an Irish DL that you getting pre vetted or you will not get out on the test zone rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I’m heading next Wednesday. What’s the story with showing your passport for free entry?

Edit: never mind, found another thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I’m heading next Wednesday. What’s the story with showing your passport for free entry?

Edit: never mind, found another thread on it.

Head to the press office and they take your details and give you a ticket.

Still can't see where we can try to pre-book any of these rides? Am I blind?

• Advertisement

Still can't see where we can try to pre-book any of these rides? Am I blind?

hardly be needing a test ride if prove true so :)

Ode To The Motorist

You dont sign up online. You go the stand when you arrive and put your name down. They have set times throughout the day and you get a spot and come back at the given time.

GBX wrote: »
    You dont sign up online. You go the stand when you arrive and put your name down. They have set times throughout the day and you get a spot and come back at the given time.

you do sign up online for the Honda one - that's what they told me, and then they email you a confirmation which you need to bring with you.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    you do sign up online for the Honda one - that's what they told me, and then they email you a confirmation which you need to bring with you.

Ah right - fair enough, wasnt aware. I did a dirt bike one 2 years ago and just went to the stand.

There are 2 as far as I know that you sign up for, but the yamaha dark side ride (1st come 1st served) is brilliant I have done it the last 3 yrs and you get a goodie bag at the end of ripping around Birmingham on an MT10!!!

Dont do the indoor BMW adventure ride.
    You ride at slow speed around a glorified sandbox with everyone gawking at you and wanting you to fall off.
    Its boring as fcuk too.

Dont do the indoor BMW adventure ride.
    You ride at slow speed around a glorified sandbox with everyone gawking at you and wanting you to fall off.
    Its boring as fcuk too.

Not if you have never done off road or never rode a BMW. You have a helmet on so who gives a **** if you bin it nobody can see you, and its not your bike if the engine drops out of it.....:D

Just got confirmation from NEC that it is indeed still free in to the show for Irish passport holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just got confirmation from NEC that it is indeed still free in to the show for Irish passport holders.

Was there a move to stop Irish people getting in for free? Are we not overseas enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Press office beside hall 4, show your passport and flight ticket to get free ticket. (Have never been asked for flight ticket but its in the t&c so better having it with you), takes about 20 seconds, if that.

Monorail to the NEC upstairs in airport beside Burger King. When you get off follow the big long hallway to the NEC halls, about a 5 min walk.

Personally I always book my bag into one of the cloak rooms, you can go back throughout the day to put extra stuff you pick up into your bag. I wouldn't abuse this though as I'd say the ladies in the cloakroom are only helping you out rather than it being in the rules. Also cloakroom closes same time as the show so don't get caught out.

Careful with your bag size if flying Ryanair, they have said they will be much more strict from Nov. re bag size. Don't know if they are, but better a step ahead of them than a step behind.

Advertisement