Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle Live, NEC - tips/advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

Just a heads up I was in London the other week and ryanair were a joke re bag size, there was nearly a riot. They are properly enforcing the bag size now, half the plane was stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yep I heard this aswell, if I do get a textile suit I will be walking onto the plane with it I tell you that......and because they know the NEC show is on in Birmingham they will be even worse for the extra charges.

****in shame the way they are operating now, extra €5 to sit beside your mates that booked at the same time, €10 extra for a window seat.....jaysus do they want a hand hoovering the ****in place before we get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yep I heard this aswell, if I do get a textile suit I will be walking onto the plane with it I tell you that......and because they know the NEC show is on in Birmingham they will be even worse for the extra charges.

****in shame the way they are operating now, extra €5 to sit beside your mates that booked at the same time, €10 extra for a window seat.....jaysus do they want a hand hoovering the ****in place before we get on it.

I actually agree with them tbh, people take the piss. I was in London for 4 days and could get all my clothes and laptop for the trip in a small bag, birds walking on with suitcases for a weekend trip. sick of people taking the piss with overhead storage but then I fly regularly enough so my view probably clouded.

If you plan correctly you will easily get a textile suit in a case that will fit their luggage check.

As for the window, im a nervous flyer and pay for the window seat always, if there is eejits like me that will pay for it they would be stupid not to charge

If your bag gets selected to be put in the hold while queuing as you walk to the plane, rip the tag off it and stick it under your seat. Save you a few mins when you land

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I was over there for the day yesterday with my missus. Great day out but both of us are f*cked today!!

There was some great bikes this year, the ones that stuck out for me were the new Kawasaki 900RS which is simply stunning in person. The new Kawasaki H2SX which I wanted to like but found it cramped for what's meant to be a tourer. Also I was shocked and the downsizing of the new Goldwing, beautiful machine but not a roomy as the older model.

Honda's new Monkey Bike concept was on show and is definitely on the must buy list when / if they make it. The highlight was the new Honda CBR1000R for me. Unreal build quality and a stunning attention to detail. They're simply going to wipe the floor with the competition when this gets released.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

D3V!L wrote: »
    I was over there for the day yesterday with my missus. Great day out but both of us are f*cked today!!

There was some great bikes this year, the ones that stuck out for me were the new Kawasaki 900RS which is simply stunning in person. The new Kawasaki H2SX which I wanted to like but found it cramped for what's meant to be a tourer. Also I was shocked and the downsizing of the new Goldwing, beautiful machine but not a roomy as the older model.

Honda's new Monkey Bike concept was on show and is definitely on the must buy list when / if they make it. The highlight was the new Honda CBR1000R for me. Unreal build quality and a stunning attention to detail. They're simply going to wipe the floor with the competition when this gets released.

How long did you spend there - i'm flying in Sat morning, back out late Sat afernoon - long enough ?

What time does the Press Office open does anyone know ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Any kind person travelling Birmingham - Cork (ideally) during the week?
    I stupidly left a Pinlock visor insert behind in a bar at the airport. Maybe someone could collect it for me - in exchange for a beer token of course.

Really enjoyed the show. Longer opening hours would be good. Too much to see in one day especially when I got distracted by test rides.
    My impressions - matt paintwork is popular and retro style everywhere! The Kawa Z900RS was indeed gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

galwaytt wrote: »
    How long did you spend there - i'm flying in Sat morning, back out late Sat afernoon - long enough ?

What time does the Press Office open does anyone know ?

Press office opens earlier than the doors, so no issue there.

As for a Saturday - it'll be very busy, it "may" be enough time but given half of the UK will descend on the NEC you may not get to see everything if you are queueing at different stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭ratracer

I was over last weekend. On the way out Ryanair were only checking bags towards the back of the queue. On the way home they didn’t check any - I was raging, because there were some good deals on Shoei helmets, but i was afraid to chance it in case they chucked it in the hold!
    To be safe, stand in the queue at the departure gate, be in the first 20 or so and you should be grand.

The show itself was grand, great if you are in the market for a brand new bike, otherwise ok, but after a couple of visits it really is samo samo, don’t think I’ll be going again for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

ratracer wrote: »
    I was over last weekend. On the way out Ryanair were only checking bags towards the back of the queue. On the way home they didn’t check any - I was raging, because there were some good deals on Shoei helmets, but i was afraid to chance it in case they chucked it in the hold!
    To be safe, stand in the queue at the departure gate, be in the first 20 or so and you should be grand.

The show itself was grand, great if you are in the market for a brand new bike, otherwise ok, but after a couple of visits it really is samo samo, don’t think I’ll be going again for a long time.

+1 Im not going this year. Have been for the past 4 years .. its great seeing new bikes up close but not a lot changes. And as others have said if flying with Ryanair you are restricted in what you can bring back unless you pay extra and at that it negates any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

what was the deal on the shoei helmets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭ratracer

what was the deal on the shoei helmets

GT Air was £350, Neotec was £320-£360.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

I was driving one time and found it hard to find a Garage or shop or anything near the NEC to get something to eat so maybe eat/buy cigarettes/have coffee before you get to the general NEC area.

ratracer wrote: »
    GT Air was £350, Neotec was £320-£360.

ok yeah good price but wouldn't be worth the risk of having to put it in the hold, might as well bin it from the risk of it getting thrown around as its loaded onto the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Watched the TV show on Eurosport last night...adventure bike heaven..:rolleyes:...and that Yamaha 3 wheeler really is a ugly pig..imo...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

ok yeah good price but wouldn't be worth the risk of having to put it in the hold, might as well bin it from the risk of it getting thrown around as its loaded onto the plane

I saw Neotecs at £299(plain) and £320(plain white) GT-Air £300 and £340.
    New Neotec expected mid 2018. A NeoNeotec? With integrated comms option.
    AerLingus\Stobart had no reaction to a helmet slung over my shoulder - on a full plane too. In the past I've had the same non-reaction on Ryanair. I'd take the risk - but not with another large piece of hand-luggage in tow.

I saw Neotecs at £299(plain) and £320(plain white) GT-Air £300 and £340.
    New Neotec expected mid 2018. A NeoNeotec? With integrated comms option.
    AerLingus\Stobart had no reaction to a helmet slung over my shoulder - on a full plane too. In the past I've had the same non-reaction on Ryanair. I'd take the risk - but not with another large piece of hand-luggage in tow.

I didn't book flights in time for this year anyway. Will probably book early and do a day trip next year and just get a helmet or something and keep my eye out for online deals or the other stuff I want in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Absolute disgrace that the Yamaha Dark Side tour is closed to and I quote "Foreigners!!!!" Only UK license holders can do it this year.

Being doing that ride for the last 3-4 years and suddenly us foreign Irish lads cant do it, the test zone which is 3 booths down from it and run by the EXACT SAME PEOPLE let me zip around Birmingham on a GSXR1000 for 20 mins on a pre vetted Irish licence no probs....but as usual the excuse is insurance reason which is a cop out for reasons stated above, its the same company running both events.

Show was decent but not as good as previous years, also I see cars starting to creep in. I know its only 2 off them but others will no doubt jump at the chance to advertise both in the future.

Still a good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Absolute disgrace that the Yamaha Dark Side tour is closed to and I quote "Foreigners!!!!" Only UK license holders can do it this year.

Being doing that ride for the last 3-4 years and suddenly us foreign Irish lads cant do it, the test zone which is 3 booths down from it and run by the EXACT SAME PEOPLE let me zip around Birmingham on a GSXR1000 for 20 mins on a pre vetted Irish licence no probs....but as usual the excuse is insurance reason which is a cop out for reasons stated above, its the same company running both events.

Show was decent but not as good as previous years, also I see cars starting to creep in. I know its only 2 off them but others will no doubt jump at the chance to advertise both in the future.

Still a good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

anyone any bargains there? anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Went yesterday, first time at this event, but been to the NEC before. It really is a great venue and always seems very well organised.

Got a spin on an Africa Twin at the Adventure Experience, great fun, quite frantic, quick bit of a safety video, not much by way of instruction, and basically just ~9 or so people let loose, by the time you'd gotten used to the bike and found a bit of rhythm it was over. Got stuck a bit, didnt drop it, but definitely gave me an appetite to find a place doing a decent days training.

Missed the Test Ride in the morning by 1 person, was told there would be space in the afternoon and to come back at 12, but lost track of time and never got back to it.

Wasnt in the market for any gear or helmets. Was looking at heated vests/jackets, but Gerbing werent budging on price, so went over and got a decent deal on a Keis vest with controllers and connections, so nice and toasty warm on the bike this morning.

Nice getting the leg over a few bikes and trying them on for size.
    I expected a bit more freebies, and better deals on cheaper stuff, but didnt really see much really worthwhile.

And no lycra pit girls either ....

• Advertisement

Loads of bargains today.

Bought a 2018 Nicky Hayden RX-7V helmet.

No problems with Ryanair at all.
    Just took it out of the box and folded the box flat down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Loads of bargains today.

Bought a 2018 Nicky Hayden RX-7V helmet.

No problems with Ryanair at all.
    Just took it out of the box and folded the box flat down.
    Did you have a carry on bag aswell stewy? Lovely lid

cadete wrote: »
    Did you have a carry on bag aswell stewy? Lovely lid

Plastic carry bag for the helmet and box,thats all.

Oh and the girls on the Ducati stand......mamma mia......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Is there much of a price difference between arais here and the UK ? I know there's no VAT on UK lids but I checked years back and arais were cheaper here .

So, long day Saturday. Left Galway at 02:50hrs, Dub Airport, Ryanair - BHX, did the NEC, then home on the 16:25 to Dublin, then to IKEA (it was part of the trade off bringing the family !), and finally stayed in Dublin. Completely bolloxed by 21:00hrs.

The show was good, good crowd, but I do think a bit smaller than other years. And yes, overseas visitors were free, with 'Overseas' tickets from the Press Office - there was a modest queue.

Some things I specifically had an eye on to visit (Autocom, Sonic) weren't there which surprised me.

As usual, lots of nice bikes. The Z900RS was a beaut alright, no doubt. I like the new range of small Hondas: 300-500, but I saw no CBR125 or 300 which was a bummer as I'd brought the young lad specifically to try them for size. Still, the Ninja 400 and the CBR500 were the winners there, with the GSXR250 next. The KTM's really are hit by the ugly stick at the front, although stature wise they were good. Some of the 125s were teeny.

I got my main thing done early though: to test rode the Africa Twin DCT on the 'Adventure' course. Now, I know nothing about riding off road, but at least I didn't fall off: which was more than could be said for a few. The AT part i can live without, but the DCT part was a peach. I deliberately rode it at trials pace, dragging the rear brake, to see what it would do and it didn't faze it at all. Very impressive. I reckon not having to manage a clutch was actually a big ++ and why it was so easy. And the heat coming off it, in a hall had you sweating beads. No hassle with an Irish licence to do it, either.

I liked the new Goldwing too, esp now that it has the DCT option, but I did think the panniers were very small capacity indeed. They had the full dresser one there, but no bagger. They said they had no plans to bring in the bagger version to the UK at the moment, but did say it would be available in the EU. Ahem. Which includes RoI . lolz

The K1600 bagger was a good looker too, better than the std one imho.

Indians look good, and I'd love to try one to see how much it differs from my Road King. Some nice new Harley's too, and as usual the quality of finish is, for me, one of the things I love about them. Well, the US-built ones at any rate........... ditto for Triumph's: all well finished, and even herself found the new Tiger 800 Low fits - great to have an alternative to BeeEmm in that market.

All in all, a nice day out.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Indians look good, and I'd love to try one to see how much it differs from my Road King.

Drop out to the lads in Franklin Motorcycles in Swords, and if you ask nicely, they'll let you take a spin on some of the Indians they have in stock. ;)

Paulw wrote: »
    Drop out to the lads in Franklin Motorcycles in Swords, and if you ask nicely, they'll let you take a spin on some of the Indians they have in stock. ;)

would love to, but 'dropping out' from Athenry is a tad awkward. It's actually one of the reasons so many in the West buy from abroad: it's nearly less effort than going to Dublin.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

So, long day Saturday. Left Galway at 02:50hrs, Dub Airport, Ryanair - BHX, did the NEC, then home on the 16:25 to Dublin, then to IKEA (it was part of the trade off bringing the family !), and finally stayed in Dublin. Completely bolloxed by 21:00hrs.

The show was good, good crowd, but I do think a bit smaller than other years. And yes, overseas visitors were free, with 'Overseas' tickets from the Press Office - there was a modest queue.

Some things I specifically had an eye on to visit (Autocom, Sonic) weren't there which surprised me.

As usual, lots of nice bikes. The Z900RS was a beaut alright, no doubt. I like the new range of small Hondas: 300-500, but I saw no CBR125 or 300 which was a bummer as I'd brought the young lad specifically to try them for size. Still, the Ninja 400 and the CBR500 were the winners there, with the GSXR250 next. The KTM's really are hit by the ugly stick at the front, although stature wise they were good. Some of the 125s were teeny.

I got my main thing done early though: to test rode the Africa Twin DCT on the 'Adventure' course. Now, I know nothing about riding off road, but at least I didn't fall off: which was more than could be said for a few. The AT part i can live without, but the DCT part was a peach. I deliberately rode it at trials pace, dragging the rear brake, to see what it would do and it didn't faze it at all. Very impressive. I reckon not having to manage a clutch was actually a big ++ and why it was so easy. And the heat coming off it, in a hall had you sweating beads. No hassle with an Irish licence to do it, either.

I liked the new Goldwing too, esp now that it has the DCT option, but I did think the panniers were very small capacity indeed. They had the full dresser one there, but no bagger. They said they had no plans to bring in the bagger version to the UK at the moment, but did say it would be available in the EU. Ahem. Which includes RoI . lolz

The K1600 bagger was a good looker too, better than the std one imho.

Indians look good, and I'd love to try one to see how much it differs from my Road King. Some nice new Harley's too, and as usual the quality of finish is, for me, one of the things I love about them. Well, the US-built ones at any rate........... ditto for Triumph's: all well finished, and even herself found the new Tiger 800 Low fits - great to have an alternative to BeeEmm in that market.

All in all, a nice day out.

DCT is the future I tell ya:P Hasnt let me down once yet. 45k on the Honda now.

DCT is the future I tell ya:P Hasnt let me down once yet. 45k on the Honda now.

I haven't forgotten ya: I still want a test ride :)

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its now Gen 3 DCT on the new Africa Twin Adventure sports I believe?

Advertisement