Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus and train fares going up - no more flat fares on BE

Options
  • 14-11-2017 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

There were press releases just before the October bank holiday about bus fares going up slightly, and how the city-fare zone was being extended to Oranmore and Barna. All presented in rosy "we're making things better" terms.

Today I discovered that what they left out of the PR is that city buses will have a two-tier fare, with higher prices for journeys longer than 7.5km on all routes.

I've done some measuring on Google Maps, all descried here - along with all the other fare increase details.

Quite big increases (22%, or 17% with Leap) for adults making some common journeys.

Comments

Strange move considering they are doing the opposite in cork city, getting rid of the two zones and reducing fares considerably for locations in the old outer zone with city leap fares staying the same (cash fares going up).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strange move considering they are doing the opposite in cork city, getting rid of the two zones and reducing fares considerably for locations in the old outer zone with city leap fares staying the same (cash fares going up).

No they aren't. The same approach is being followed in all regional cities (Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford): the city zone is being pushed to the edge of the outer zone (in our case, there wasn't one, in Cork's there was a green zone). As you say, trips within that zone but shorter than 7.5km have city leap fares staying the same (cash fares going up). But trips longer than 7.5km, both cash and Leap fares are going up.

Funnily enough, this detail was left out of the press-releases, but it's very much described in the documents from the NTA.

No they aren't. The same approach is being followed in all regional cities (Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford): the city zone is being pushed to the edge of the outer zone (in our case, there wasn't one, in Cork's there was a green zone). As you say, trips within that zone but shorter than 7.5km have city leap fares staying the same (cash fares going up). But trips longer than 7.5km, both cash and Leap fares are going up.

Funnily enough, this detail was left out of the press-releases, but it's very much described in the documents from the NTA.

I don't think this is accurate, there is an intermediate fair still for some areas but its far less than before and it extends further than 7.5km from the city centre. Areas in the old red zone had a leap fare of 3.40 its not going to be reduced to 1.89 while the city fare remains at 1.61.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/New-Cork-city-bus-zone-to-see-fares-fall-from-suburban-areas-59660e43-d8db-4853-95f8-23ff2eef6db4-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Today I discovered that what they left out of the PR is that city buses will have a two-tier fare, with higher prices for journeys longer than 7.5km on all routes.

I've done some measuring on Google Maps, all descried here - along with all the other fare increase details.

Quite big increases (22%, or 17% with Leap) for adults making some common journeys.
    Thanks for the comprehensive information. How this "Cross Zone" is going to be handled when purchasing tickets on the 404 and 409/403 will be interesting. Probably encourage more take up of the 24hour ticket on LEAP?

I don't think this is accurate, there is an intermediate fair still for some areas but its far less than before and it extends further than 7.5km from the city centre. Areas in the old red zone had a leap fare of 3.40 its not going to be reduced to 1.89 while the city fare remains at 1.61.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/New-Cork-city-bus-zone-to-see-fares-fall-from-suburban-areas-59660e43-d8db-4853-95f8-23ff2eef6db4-ds

Here's a screenshot of part of page 47 of the NTA's document, with relevant parts highlighted.

433545.PNG

Their intention is pretty clear. Possibly the Cork newspaper missed that part, because it is tucked in underneath the Galway map at the bottom of the section.

It has occurred to me that there might be local plans to just not implement the higher fare fore trips longer than 7.5km - but BE is loss making, I cannot see the NTA letting them get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Slight tangent, but I'm hoping someone can help.
    My daughter is a student in a city secondary school, using the normal bus service occasionally.
    Bought her a Leap card thinking it would be cheaper, but she is getting charged €1.61 per journey(Adult rate) during school hours.
    She was getting charged €1.05 cash before this.
    I've tried finding a definitive listing from leap or BE but it's a bit confusing.
    Is there anyone here that uses the service that could fill me in.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Did you buy her a Child Leap Card? Then it should be be €0.77 during and €0.91 outside of school hours.
    Sounds like she has an Adult Leap Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Did you buy her a Child Leap Card? Then it should be be €0.77 during and €0.91 outside of school hours.
    Sounds like she has an Adult Leap Card.

It's a student leap card
    When I researched it, the student card was recommended.
    I'll contact Leap to see if I can exchange it for a child care.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Bump as the increases come into effect today

Seems to be 2.30 for a single journey, 1.61 with leap card and both oranmore and Barna are included in this price

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Oranmore is 2.70.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Oranmore is 2.70.

The town centre ( joyes supermarket) should be 2.30 from all i read online. 2.70 would be the price at the stop across from the car park in the village

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

The town centre ( joyes supermarket) should be 2.30 from all i read online. 2.70 would be the price at the stop across from the car park in the village

Ah right I said oranmore so he obviously charged the higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Anyone else think that the overall bus service getting a lot worse lately?

403 & 405 in particular for me.

Depends where you're travelling from. I'd expect the higher fare.

But if you're doing it twice in 24 hours, use a leap card to buy a day saver. It's lots cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is there a list of shops anywhere that top up leap cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

flazio wrote: »
    Is there a list of shops anywhere that top up leap cards?

http://www.payzone.ie/paywithpayzone.jsp?pt=74

If you happen to have an NFC enabled Smartphone, the Leap App is the easiest way to top up and check your spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

cant be competitive or efficient so whats the compromise? kick the punter in the goolies!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

seanin4711 wrote: »
    cant be competitive or efficient so whats the compromise? kick the punter in the goolies!

Far more competitive than the cost of a taxi, sometimes just as quick if not quicker too. What bus do you use yourself out of interest?

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Anyone else think that the overall bus service getting a lot worse lately?

403 & 405 in particular for me.

More 405s going awol than in the past and the 403 inbound doesn't seem as close to timetable as in previous times. What issues you finding?

More 405s going awol than in the past and the 403 inbound doesn't seem as close to timetable as in previous times. What issues you finding?

main issues with the 403 outbound towards Ballybrit - never on time after 4.00. For some reason when the 5.15 does not show up, it just happens to be 5.50 ( a few mins late on the next service) when it arrives or even 6.00 before one arrives.

405 - an absolute disaster. I've got the bus every working day for the last few weeks and each day the bus has been late by 40 mins. Last Wednesday 29th Nov - I left work at 5.15 for the 5.20 bus. The bus stop is beside where I work. The (every 20 mins bus) bus arrived at 6.10. A full hour waiting for a bus and no explanation as to why it is so late.

Have tried mailing Bus Eireann numerous times asking why the buses are late or gone missing but they NEVER reply.

main issues with the 403 outbound towards Ballybrit - never on time after 4.00. For some reason when the 5.15 does not show up, it just happens to be 5.50 ( a few mins late on the next service) when it arrives or even 6.00 before one arrives.

405 - an absolute disaster. I've got the bus every working day for the last few weeks and each day the bus has been late by 40 mins. Last Wednesday 29th Nov - I left work at 5.15 for the 5.20 bus. The bus stop is beside where I work. The (every 20 mins bus) bus arrived at 6.10. A full hour waiting for a bus and no explanation as to why it is so late.

Have tried mailing Bus Eireann numerous times asking why the buses are late or gone missing but they NEVER reply.

Ah ya sure they're never going to be on time at peak traffic times, Id never try to get one from Eyre Square between 445 and 6pm. From 620 on the 405 is usually fine. I cycle most days since the bus strike anyway so that makes life much easier.

CAR traffic is the problem.
    This issue has grown stadily over the last 12 months at these peak travel times, heard this from Bus Eireann representative at a public meeting last week. Problem is that only 10% of Bus Eireann Services have priority features. Said even increasing frequency of routes like the #404 may not have an impact unless dedicated infrastructure is provided for City Bus services.

Ah ya sure they're never going to be on time at peak traffic times, Id never try to get one from Eyre Square between 445 and 6pm. From 620 on the 405 is usually fine. I cycle most days since the bus strike anyway so that makes life much easier.

Not easy cycle with laptop bags, gym bags etc though.

My biggest gripes are

1) that there are no real time updates available on buses so commuters can plan on delays
    2) why can they not send an extra bus to the terminus stop of routes that BE know are continually late & busy for peak time. if they sent one extra bus to the end stop to be there for 5.30 then a lot of issues would be relieved.
    3) drivers do not care what time they arrive at

Last week, there was over 30 people waiting for the bus to arrive. The number kept growing and by the 2nd stop, the bus was already over-crowded and a real safety issue for people getting on/off the bus and when the bus was breaking as there was nothing to hold onto. I had to climb past at least 18 people standing to get off at my stop.

This issue has grown stadily over the last 12 months at these peak travel times, heard this from Bus Eireann representative at a public meeting last week. <b>Problem is that only 10% of Bus Eireann Services have priority</b> features. Said even increasing frequency of routes like the #404 may not have an impact unless dedicated infrastructure is provided for City Bus services.

Ref for that 10% is inlcluded in this article

http://connachttribune.ie/bus-growth-in-galway-to-slow-down-due-to-lack-of-priority-lanes-409/
    "
    Only 10% of Galway City’s roads are dedicated bus lanes, which is causing a “serious deterioration” in Bus Éireann’s ability to fulfil its timetables.
    "

Not easy cycle with laptop bags, gym bags etc though.

My biggest gripes are

1) that there are no real time updates available on buses so commuters can plan on delays
    2) why can they not send an extra bus to the terminus stop of routes that BE know are continually late & busy for peak time. if they sent one extra bus to the end stop to be there for 5.30 then a lot of issues would be relieved.
    3) drivers do not care what time they arrive at

Last week, there was over 30 people waiting for the bus to arrive. The number kept growing and by the 2nd stop, the bus was already over-crowded and a real safety issue for people getting on/off the bus and when the bus was breaking as there was nothing to hold onto. I had to climb past at least 18 people standing to get off at my stop.

I cycle with pannier bag, able to transport a bit more on the bike with them. Would agree with point 1, busy bus stops should have them.
    Point 3 I think you are been harsh on the bus drivers - its not their fault that Galway City Council prioritises private cars over bus passengers.
    One thing one BusEireann could do to improve times is to have a tag off and on system like with DublinBus for LEAP. Would speed up boardings.

This issue has grown stadily over the last 12 months at these peak travel times, heard this from Bus Eireann representative at a public meeting last week. Problem is that only 10% of Bus Eireann Services have priority features. Said even increasing frequency of routes like the #404 may not have an impact unless dedicated infrastructure is provided for City Bus services.

Where's the infrastructure going to come into it? The 403 and 405 are never going to get bus lanes on their routes so unless traffic is somehow less in volume then I can't see it changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Where's the infrastructure going to come into it? The 403 and 405 are never going to get bus lanes on their routes so unless traffic is somehow less in volume then I can't see it changing.

They're never going to get it because it there is no will to do so, maybe, but it would be quite possible to do it physically. It's not that long ago that the Headford Road and the Seamus Quirke Road were as narrow as the Monivea Road is now but both were able to be expanded to a width that allows multiple lanes in each direction. There is hardly any building up to the current road boundaries on the Monivea Road and Tuam Road (past Cemetery Cross) so it would be a case of CPOing land that is currently used for car parking or green space. Even where there are people's front gardens facing the road for the most part there is empty space on the opposite side so it would be possible to limit the extent to which front gardens are CPO'd. But even in cases where this is necessary, losing 10 foot of front garden is something that has happened in other parts of the city. At least if it was done to create bus lanes there would be an upside for those residents who could now expect reliable bus access to the city centre, which wasn't the case for those living on the Headford Road who had to give up space for the pleasure of having a couple of extra lanes of standing traffic outside their houses. The main exception to the above is Bohermore and the only realistic way to put a bus lane there would seem to be a one way system from Prospect Hill to Cemetery Cross.

• Advertisement

An observation re the fares:

It looks like BE have decided not to implement the higher fare for journeys longer than 7.5km, except on the Oranmore route: several buses are now sporting locally-made signs which say that the adult cash fare is $2.30.

This is good IMHO. Trying to do it would have killed loading times, and annoyed huge numbers of people.

Advertisement