Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage for primary teacher

Options
  • 14-11-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi all, if a degree graduate subbed in a secondary school in 2009 for a period of three months and was paid by the DES (was not a qualified teacher only had a level 8 business degree) and is now going back to complete his masters of education in primary education, what pay scale will he be on? Old or new?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Emmser wrote: »
    Hi all, if a degree graduate subbed in a secondary school in 2009 for a period of three months and was paid by the DES (was not a qualified teacher only had a level 8 business degree) and is now going back to complete his masters of education in primary education, what pay scale will he be on? Old or new?

New - you were not qualified. It only worked if you worked in an ETB (VEC) because you didn't need a teaching qualification so a bachelors degree deemed you fully qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

New - you were not qualified. It only worked if you worked in an ETB (VEC) because you didn't need a teaching qualification so a bachelors degree deemed you fully qualified.

I thought I heard of an individual that subbed after his degree in a DES school and when he eventually finished his Dip for secondary teaching was placed on the old pay scale because of the previous subbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I thought I heard of an individual that subbed after his degree in a DES school and when he eventually finished his Dip for secondary teaching was placed on the old pay scale because of the previous subbing.

There must have been an error along the way - your query is asked a lot here - all with the same result. Did you check with the DES?

There must have been an error along the way - your query is asked a lot here - all with the same result. Did you check with the DES?

I did and got absolutely nowhere. No one calling back. I followed up with an email but again, no answer. I've asked our union rep now but again, I'm secondary and this relates to primary.

I saw a post here where the person had no degree whilst subbing. Can you point me towards a post where the person subbing was an honours graduate but hadn't the dip completed. Many thanks for all your help.

I did and got absolutely nowhere. No one calling back. I followed up with an email but again, no answer. I've asked our union rep now but again, I'm secondary and this relates to primary.

I saw a post here where the person had no degree whilst subbing. Can you point me towards a post where the person subbing was an honours graduate but hadn't the dip completed. Many thanks for all your help.

If it has been that long since you taught you will be on new scale I’m afraid.

• Advertisement

If it has been that long since you taught you will be on new scale I’m afraid.

Hi Julie, thank you. It's not me actually but someone close to me. I've found posts here where individuals subbed in primary schools after their degrees and then subsequently qualified as post primary teachers and were put on the old scale. It seems everyone has different experiences.

The person in question has a payroll number etc from the DES and his payslips are dated 2009.

Hi Julie, thank you. It's not me actually but someone close to me. I've found posts here where individuals subbed in primary schools after their degrees and then subsequently qualified as post primary teachers and were put on the old scale. It seems everyone has different experiences.

The person in question has a payroll number etc from the DES and his payslips are dated 2009.

It’s the break in service that will be the issue not the fact he subbed and has proof of this. If you are fully qualified and went away to work, for example in dubai, you would have to come back every so often to keep your pay and pension rights.

The people you speak of would not have had the break in service which is the issue your friend would face.

It’s the break in service that will be the issue not the fact he subbed and has proof of this. If you are fully qualified and went away to work, for example in dubai, you would have to come back every so often to keep your pay and pension rights.

The people you speak of would not have had the break in service which is the issue your friend would face.

Oh very good, I understand. Yes he worked in accounts for the past eight years.

Oh very good, I understand. Yes he worked in accounts for the past eight years.

Now don’t take that as gospel but this is my knowledge of it so get him to follow it up either way just in case.

Now don’t take that as gospel but this is my knowledge of it so get him to follow it up either way just in case.

There's an individual who PM'd me and they were in the exact same situation and were put on the old wage scale. However, they didn't have the long break in service. They had two years so you could be correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I am on the old pay scale despite only starting teaching as a qualified teacher in 2012 due to subbing I did years previously as an unqualified sub. Granted it was in a primary school, don't know if it makes a difference.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I am on the old pay scale despite only starting teaching as a qualified teacher in 2012 due to subbing I did years previously as an unqualified sub. Granted it was in a primary school, don't know if it makes a difference.

Hi, thank you. Yes, people have kindly PM'd me and lucky for them, like yourself were put on the old payscale and they retained their old payroll number. Can I ask, how many years had you between subbing and then being fully qualified? Thank you for all your help.

There's an individual who PM'd me and they were in the exact same situation and were put on the old wage scale. However, they didn't have the long break in service. They had two years so you could be correct.

Two years would break your service yes I think you need to come back once a year or something like that.

Hi, thank you. Yes, people have kindly PM'd me and lucky for them, like yourself were put on the old payscale and they retained their old payroll number. Can I ask, how many years had you between subbing and then being fully qualified? Thank you for all your help.

Subbed in 2006/7, again in 2010/11.

I dont think the break in service comes into it in this case, I think it was a provision of one of the Croke Park agreement that all who subbed (unqualified or not) prior to new pay scales would still be on pay scale / pension arrangements in place at time of their earlier employment

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Subbed in 2006/7, again in 2010/11.

I dont think the break in service comes into it in this case, I think it was a provision of one of the Croke Park agreement that all who subbed (unqualified or not) prior to new pay scales would still be on pay scale / pension arrangements in place at time of their earlier employment

Wonder would it be the same for teaching in post primary after your degree but no teaching qualification and then going to primary now fully qualified?

Wonder would it be the same for teaching in post primary after your degree but no teaching qualification and then going to primary now fully qualified?

That I couldn't tell you, sorry

Just to update:

I rang payroll primary firstly who asked me to contact post primary payroll. Because he taught in 2008 for a year but did not have a dip, it was unqualified service.

Therefore if he qualifies as a primary teacher he will be on the new post 2012 wage.

Charlie Flanagan a local politician was in our school recently and was under the impression by 2021 pay will be the same for all teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just to update:

I rang payroll primary firstly who asked me to contact post primary payroll. Because he taught in 2008 for a year but did not have a dip, it was unqualified service.

Therefore if he qualifies as a primary teacher he will be on the new post 2012 wage.

Charlie Flanagan a local politician was in our school recently and was under the impression by 2021 pay will be the same for all teachers.

New payscales rising, or old falling is the question though!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hmm...maybe he's misinterpreting the new pay deal?? That or we're all getting a paycut for not accepting the new one! :eek:

My guess is he was trying to please the crowd though.

Advertisement